Unable to run this command error

G

I have a problem that is causing me fits. None of my programs will work from the quicklaunch toolbar. Any programs started from the start menu will bring up a "Unable to run this command" error. Programs launched from the desktop will not start, etc. In addition, the programs that normal

I have virus checked with the latest version of my virus scanning files

One other clue that might spark some troubleshooting thoughts...My system tray on the bottom right hand side of the toolbar is only showing 3 of my normal applications that are listed (Volume control, Nortons Antivirus and Winamp) Normally there is several other icons available. I don't know if that helps, but it is something that hasn't been mentioned yet

Any other ideas to restore the desktop back to working order

thanks in advance

J

John Thow

I have a problem that is causing me fits. None of my programs will work from the quicklaunch toolbar. Any programs started from the start menu will bring up a "Unable to run this command" error. Programs launched from the desktop will not start, etc. In addition, the programs that normall

I have virus checked with the latest version of my virus scanning files.

One other clue that might spark some troubleshooting thoughts...My system tray on the bottom right hand side of the toolbar is only showing 3 of my normal applications that are listed (Volume control, Nortons Antivirus and Winamp) Normally there is several other icons available. I don't know if that helps, but it is something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Any other ideas to restore the desktop back to working order?

thanks in advance.

I know you say you've done a virus check with the latest definitions update
but, if this were me, i'd re-check.

Symantec provide a free check at:-

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

--
John Thow
an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience -
certain maxims of archie; Don Marquis.

To e-mail me, replace the DOTs in the Reply-To: address with dots!

G

John,

I have run both Symantec's and Trend Micro's PC Cillon with no viruses found. Any other ideas?

Let me know!
thanks in advance

J

John Thow

John,

I have run both Symantec's and Trend Micro's PC Cillon with no viruses found. Any other ideas?

Let me know!
thanks in advance

Ok.

Can you create any new shortcuts on your desktop and run programs from them?
If you can, then re-building your desktop & quicklaunch icons / Start Menu
shortcuts would be the way to go.

If not, what you are experiencing is pretty close to an effect of the swen
virus. Maybe you had it and have removed the virus but not its side
effects??? Check out:-

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

I'm off for the next ten days: I'm told it's a holiday, so I hope you get it
sorted by then....

Merry Yule!

--
John Thow
an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience -
certain maxims of archie; Don Marquis.

To e-mail me, replace the DOTs in the Reply-To: address with dots!

Ask a Question