Ultrawide vs Dual Monitors

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my dual monitor setup (2 x 23" Dell Ultrasharp) to something a little bigger and able to handle 4k. I don't play a huge amount of games, but I'd like to start playing more in the coming months, so FreeSync and fast response time will be quite important.

I'm torn between getting another dual monitor setup or getting a single ultrawide monitor. I mainly use my PC for work, so my instinct tells me that a dual monitor setup is the way to go (as I can run a fullscreen app on one monitor and still have e-mails open on the other).

Has anyone here got an ultrawide monitor? If so, how do you find older applications work on it (i.e. how to older games with fixed resolutions handle the monitor). Also, how easy do you find it to snap multiple windows in place on the screen?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've been toying with the same idea. For me at home an ultrawide is the way forward due to no bezels. However I use dual monitors at work and for that it works well, very well in fact. Not an easy choice....

That doesn't really help does it...! :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, at least it's not just me trying to figure it out now :lol:!

There doesn't seem to be many good deals on ultrawide monitors at the moment, so that makes my decision a little easier for the time being. I may hold of purchasing until a good deal becomes available - I suspect I'm going to to ultrawide, rather than 2 separate monitors. It'll be so much better for gaming, plus I can always tag my existing monitor on the side if I miss a dual setup.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dual monitors? ... go triple or go home. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Triple :lol:

1565430717502.png

That is SB's set up over at Scots.

:cool:

Reaction score
What did you go for Ian? I replaced dual monitors with a widescreen and hated it. Got rid of it and went back to dual. Just easier to separate programs.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What did you go for Ian? I replaced dual monitors with a widescreen and hated it. Got rid of it and went back to dual. Just easier to separate programs.

Oh that is interesting - was that the only big reason, docking applications on each screen? Did you use the Windows 10 "snap" feature on the ultrawide? This is something that I do think may bother me.

I haven't purchased anything yet, as can't really spend much at the moment - but I'm still hoping to get one later this year :).

Reaction score
Oh that is interesting - was that the only big reason, docking applications on each screen? Did you use the Windows 10 "snap" feature on the ultrawide? This is something that I do think may bother me.

I haven't purchased anything yet, as can't really spend much at the moment - but I'm still hoping to get one later this year :).

yeah, I have one monitor in my home office as it’s not a big room / desk and I use the snapping. Got a Dell ultra sharp 24”. I had bought a 32” curved Samsung for the office but absolutely hated it. it’s probably down to personal preference but I would always go with multiple monitors (I now have 3 on my work desk) rather than one big one. I do think it’s how my brain works. Having emails on one screen and word / excel or whatever it is on the other one just works better for me. On one screen it’s back to alt tab and clutter.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're making me wonder about the ultrawide choice now... I suspect I may be in a similar position to you and find dual monitors easier.

Reaction score
I guess you won’t really know until you try it. I was a bit like that, it’s kind of an itch you have to scratch.

Can you borrow a monitor from someone to try it? Or alternatively maybe just try using one of your monitors and use the snapping thing to see if it would work?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you borrow a monitor from someone to try it? Or alternatively maybe just try using one of your monitors and use the snapping thing to see if it would work?

I don't think I know anyone with an ultrawide that lives nearby, so I'll try using snapping on my monitor and see how it goes. I could use my TV, but that's overkill :lol: .

Reaction score
I don't think I know anyone with an ultrawide that lives nearby, so I'll try using snapping on my monitor and see how it goes. I could use my TV, but that's overkill :lol: .

Thats kind of what it felt like to me. I had a 32” widescreen (not the biggest but ok) and I just didn’t like it. You tend to make whatever you’re working on take up the full screen and then alt tab between things. Good luck with the decision. Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I took the plunge and bought an ultrawide after all, so we'll see how it goes :D. Going to put it quite far back on my desk and try snapping windows to either side like I've been trying on my smaller monitor.

Here's the model I went for:

It's out of stock at the moment, but I've got it on back order so it should hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's really nice. You'll have to let me know how you get on with it as it looks like it should be a good one!

I've still got my eye out for one myself....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers, I'll report back once I've got it :D.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The monitor arrived! I've got it set up temporarily on my dining room table, as I'm painting the office this weekend.

....It's HUGE :lol:

However, I can see that it's so much more comfortable to use. Interestingly, the 100hz display makes a big difference over 60hz - just switching between the two is very noticeable. So far a big thumbs up.

Window snapping is very handy with the Win Key + Left and Right arrows.

I'm yet to try any gaming on it, but I'm hopefully going to play Borderlands 3 tonight to give it a test. My NVIDIA 960 GTX isn't quite up to the task of driving this display at anything other than low/medium settings in games, so I may end up upgrading that at the end of the year.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You're painting too, eh? Join the club, ain't much else to do right now!

Glad your happy with it. :thumb:

Ask a Question