Ubuntu Linux validates as Genuine Windows

Neil

Frank said:
DP wrote:

Uhhh...don't tell them. They think they've found the key to the Empire!

Answer:...no difference!

Absolutely nothing.
But don't tell them.
Frank

What if the Linux user also ran a non-genuine Windows OS install? Could he
not transfer what he had downloaded on his linux installation and use it to
keep his Windows installation up-to-date illegally? Could he redistribute
the things he had downloaded to all his friends who share his non-genuine
Windows installation and keep them up-to-date to?

I supposed that the point of it was not that this person managed to fool the
WGA system, but that the WGA system can be easily fooled into handing out
updates to people who should not have them. Given that, the pain some
people seem to have to go through by being falsely accused by the WGA system
and denied legitimate updates seems doubly unnecessary. [I have been twice
denied access to updates because WGA failed. Though never yet on this Vista
installation, both were on XP].

Neil

Frank

KristleBawl said:
I think I understand Frank, somewhat.

He isn't a troll. He's a farmer. His main crop is Trollnip.

KB

"Tim Judd" wrote in message
Oh that's funny! :)
You're very clever!
Frank

Frank

Neil said:
What if the Linux user also ran a non-genuine Windows OS install? Could
he not transfer what he had downloaded on his linux installation and use
it to keep his Windows installation up-to-date illegally?

No, because when he tries to install it will try to validate.
Won't work...shouldn't work.
That's what they should have tried to have any real meaning.
Frank

Frank

Adam said:
There is never any merit to anything you post Frank. You're a proven
idiot some village (thankfully) lost.

You have absolutely no idea what this discussion is about do you georgie
boy?
You're just an angry, frustrated old bastard.
Oh, and did I mention how weak you seem to be?
Pity...you need to get a real life.
Frank

Adam Albright

You have absolutely no idea what this discussion is about do you georgie
boy?
You're just an angry, frustrated old bastard.
Oh, and did I mention how weak you seem to be?
Pity...you need to get a real life.
Frank

The discussion is about YOU Frankie. You're just too damn dumb to get
that EVERYBODY sees you as the village idiot just as they saw your
buddy Justin in the same light.

Frank

Adam said:
The discussion is about YOU Frankie. You're just too damn dumb to get
that EVERYBODY sees you as the village idiot just as they saw your
buddy Justin in the same light.
Oh no! You're drunk again aren't you? Sober up georgie boy and maybe
you'll be able to see the light.
Frank

DP

What if the Linux user also ran a non-genuine Windows OS install? Could
he not transfer what he had downloaded on his linux installation and use
it to keep his Windows installation up-to-date illegally?

Why would a Linux user want to use Windows. They think Windows sucks. Uh, I
mean, sux.
[I have been twice denied access to updates because WGA failed. Though
never yet on this Vista installation, both were on XP].

So, Vista is better than XP?

Ray Rogers

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy said:
"Another crack in the Windows Genuine Advantage wall. A user at
UbuntuForums.org managed to [1]validate an Ubuntu installation as a
genuine copy of Microsoft Windows and get to the download page of Windows
Defender, using IE4Linux and Wine. (Here is an [2]OGG video of the
process.) Along with the advancement of LiveCD technology, this could
spell the end of Microsoft's control over who gets their updates."

Who says linux can't do anything as good (or better than) windows?

So now MS knows all about this, I hope they send a big thank you to the op
for "discovering the bug". Heads will roll, Steve will do some screaming and
it'll get fixed.
Another bug bites the dust.

Ray said:
The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy said:
"Another crack in the Windows Genuine Advantage wall. A user at
UbuntuForums.org managed to [1]validate an Ubuntu installation as a
genuine copy of Microsoft Windows and get to the download page of
Windows Defender, using IE4Linux and Wine. (Here is an [2]OGG video of
the process.) Along with the advancement of LiveCD technology, this
could spell the end of Microsoft's control over who gets their updates."

Who says linux can't do anything as good (or better than) windows?

So now MS knows all about this, I hope they send a big thank you to the
op for "discovering the bug". Heads will roll, Steve will do some
screaming

And he does it very well!
and it'll get fixed.
Another bug bites the dust.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Neil

DP said:
[I have been twice denied access to updates because WGA failed. Though
never yet on this Vista installation, both were on XP].

So, Vista is better than XP?

In that respect, so far and at least for me yes. Though I did just have to
reactivate by phone, which I never had to do for XP.

DP

I came across something on a Microsoft web site yesterday that says
Microsoft will update even non-genuine versions of Windows. The thinking is
that updating that version at least keeps it safer from viruses than if it
wasn't updated and that keeps all windows users safer. (I guess it's similar
to the theory behind providing clean needles to illegal drug users.)

So, if that's true, it seems irrelevant if soneone using Linux was able to
get a Windows update.

Right?

Alias

DP said:
I came across something on a Microsoft web site yesterday that says
Microsoft will update even non-genuine versions of Windows. The thinking
is that updating that version at least keeps it safer from viruses than
if it wasn't updated and that keeps all windows users safer. (I guess
it's similar to the theory behind providing clean needles to illegal
drug users.)

So, if that's true, it seems irrelevant if soneone using Linux was able
to get a Windows update.

Right?

Wrong. Cracked copies can only get security updates through Windows
Updates. If you go to the Windows Updates web site with a cracked
version, chances are is won't pass the WGA there.

This is designed so that cracked copies cannot enjoy Defenseless, WMP 11
and IE7. I have legit copies of XP and I won't put any of these
"wonderful" downloads on any of my computers.

Alias

DP said:
I came across something on a Microsoft web site yesterday that says
Microsoft will update even non-genuine versions of Windows.

That's interesting. Care to post a link?
[...]

DP

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy said:
That's interesting. Care to post a link?

This is not the same thing I saw the other night, but it says virtually the
same thing. Namely:
"Security updates are not part of WGA or OGA. You can install security
updates using the Windows Automatic Updates feature or download them from
the Download Center."

And I got it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...f0c79822-dd19-4931-b910-6fd89fa2ec82#ID0E5IAC
under the section about "Validation Failure."

The thing I saw the other night was something I came across by accident on
the MS website, in an area devoted to builders or OEMs. (But it was not any
area where I had to use a password.) I think it was an interview with
someone talking about the WGA and its benefits for builders. It was there
that the person made the point about keeping even illegal versions of
Windows free from viruses benefits everybody.

I realize my original post said "updates," while it turns out MS is talking
about "security updates." I don't know if that changes anything, though.

DP

Also found this on the bottom of that same page, in the section about Vista.

Q: Will non-genuine Windows Vista users be able to receive critical security
updates?
A: Yes. Microsoft will make critical security updates available to
non-genuine users via Automatic Updates.

DP said:
Also found this on the bottom of that same page, in the section about
Vista.

Q: Will non-genuine Windows Vista users be able to receive critical
security updates?
A: Yes. Microsoft will make critical security updates available to
non-genuine users via Automatic Updates.

Good find! Thanks! :)