Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooooh! My Charr isn't happy about pestilences mucking-up his nosh...:lol:
Boo!

TC.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, they've now raised the price of standard edition, they're now calling it it 'digital edition' and in doing so they've raised the price from £40 to £50. Ok, they know when they're onto something good and no doubt they know they're offering a good game but a £10 price hike still smacks of greed.

So, sorry, but - pass.

Still have a 101 games here to plough through anyway, currently getting off on Skyrim Dawnguard and Dragon Age II - both, imo, rather excellent. Not MMO though, but there ya go.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh, they've now raised the price of standard edition, they're now calling it it 'digital edition' and in doing so they've raised the price from £40 to £50.
Oh Sir Flopps, please forgive me for having the temerity to correct you ... but to be fair, the digital downloads from the ArenaNet website, are all the same prices now, as they were originally. They have always been referred to as 'digital editions' too. (I poured over that website for weeks before actually taking the plunge back in April. Couldn't decide which edition to go for. Eventually plumped for the middle one. Still got the receipt; still the same price.)

Here's a snippet which appeared a few months ago, on an independent website:
The standard Digital Edition is available for pre-order for £49.99 via the official Guild Wars 2 website.
Source: http://www.t3.com/news/guild-wars-2-news

Can I come out from behind the sofa now...? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my last but one post I followed Mucks' link and the price of the poor person's edition was indeed £40.00 at that time or I wouldn't have posted as I did with that price. It may well have been labelled 'digital' but I'm fairly sure it said 'standard' though it's possible I may have called the digital edition the standard edition after seeing it labelled 'standard' at Amazon.

But of the price difference I am 99.9% sure that's what I saw and earlier references to the digital edition seem to change frequently.

The cynical side of me says these people know when they're on to a good thing and obviously want to make as much money as possible and it looks as though some folk are willing to pay 50 quid for it.

My goodness, Arena will probably make more money out of this than Bethesda did from Skyrim. And that's a lotta money.

This is not to detract from the game or the gameplay, as I've said previously, it does look very good indeed, I just wish they'd keep the prices stable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I dunno what you had seen or where, it has remained the same on that link I posted ... just checked my invoice.

ANet have never hidden the fact that they were going "Digital Download" unless you went superdopy & lashed out on the "collector's edition", other companies may have worded it differently and or even got/given a special offer for pre-order, but not, pre-purchase.

No, not calling you a lier, I've no doubt you may have seen a different price, I been keeping an eye on when they were going to start reselling. Never seen any different price offered.

The prices do look very OTT, and I certainly would think three time before lashing out that much on a game, and then have to pay a subscription. No, I, and TC have played GW1, we knew we would be enticed, no subs, and the game is sooo damn good. :D

I didn't like Skyrm, fortunately, I didn't buy it, I wouldn't have at it's sale price, however, it was a gift, any one wanna a 20min used copy? :)

Maybe you'll see it on sale one day. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The prices do look very OTT, and I certainly would think three time before lashing out that much on a game, and then have to pay a subscription.

As I understand it GW2 doesn't charge subscription fees, that's what it says on it's website and is one of the things that makes it attractive to me. I don't mind paying a fair whack for a quality product and GW2 looks like quality to me.

And besides, were I to purchase I'd go for the deluxe edition I think, the 65 quid jobbie, seems like the best choice to me.

But subscription fees? You got me worried now, I definitely wouldn't pay that sort of money and then have to shell out monthly, no way. That's what kept me away from World Of Warcraft.

As for Skyrim, you're not alone Mucks, I remember Ian saying he din't think much of it. But I think it's the best rpg ever and I was really quite surprised at how enamoured V_R was with it, didn't seem like his type of game, so you never can tell eh?

Different strokes for different folks, as they say :)

Assuming no subscription fees, I probably will go for GW2 at some stage but I have a gazillion unfinished and unstarted games on this PC and I haven't even mentioned the Xbox 360 ;) And it's summer too, which means less gaming pour moi.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Rest assured Flopps, there is absolutely no subscription with GW2. It's exactly like GW1 in that respect. Pay once, then play for free forever. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
sorry, I worded that wrong ... GW 1&2 do not have a subscription fee ... is why so many, MMO peeps, bought into it.

If you want some nice sundry items, you can buy them via the "shop", yep, there are micro-transactions, you cannot, however, buy any game-breaking "gear" from it. :)

anyhow, coffee break over ... TTFN :wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Stop press: the game is available from good old Amazon again, for the bargain price of £34:99. Took this screen capture this morning:

attachment.php

Attachments

• GW2 available.JPG
    GW2 available.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We have recently adjusted the sensitivity of the Guild Wars 2 e-mail authentication system to make it even more secure. One result of this change is that players may be briefly denied access to their account until they approve access from their current network.

If you attempted to sign in to the Guild Wars 2 game client or official website and were denied access, check your email for a notification from us. If you recognize the log-in attempt, follow the link in the email and select Remember this Network on the page.

Security Tips: If you receive an email asking you to approve a login attempt from an unknown network, don’t do it! It could be that someone attempted to log in using your username and password. Instead, change your password via https://account.guildwars2.com. Also, be on the lookout for phishing attempts that try to direct you to malicious websites. The official Guild Wars 2 domain is *.guildwars2.com, so check your browser to make sure that you’re in the right place.
For more information on e-mail authentication, see this Knowledge Base article: http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9192
Update posted by
Regina Buenaobra
North American Community Team Lead HERE

muckshifter

Reaction score
a great overview of the GW 'event system' ... how to slow down and have more fun. :)

:cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Shadow of the Mad King
Release Overview

Halloween has a long history in Tyria, and in times past was always marked by the spirit of Mad King Thorn cavorting among the people unleashing his own brand of insanity. However, it’s been over 250 years since he was last seen, and for most people he is merely a figure of folklore. Despite this, rumors persist among the populace that something wicked this way comes.

Shadow of the Mad King is the first major game release for Guild Wars 2 and will go live on October 22. This new game update will include a number of new features for all of our players to enjoy, new content to explore and see, and a week-long Halloween event.
More here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/events/halloween-2012

Sounds like it's time to sand-down my broomstick and give my special witch's brew a stir... ;)

Ask a Question