The Big upgrade!

Reaction score
The Cavalier will be fine. Any MIDI ATX Tower or FULL ATX Tower would be fine. The only reason i didnt put the Cavalier on there in the first place was because of the price. It's sweet looking.

ALL the cables and screws that you need will be supplied with components. You won't need any extra.

You can order that all together no problem. Deliver is £8.50 or something like that. No more than a tenner for the lot anyway.

With the hard drives, if they sold the Plus10 in 80Gb units, i would have selected 2 of them. They dont, so i had to choose the 160's. They aren't expensive anyway. You will like RAID0 too - speeds things up nicely - stripes all your data onto 2 disks but for example if you had a 4 meg file, 2 meg could go to HDD1 and the other 2meg to HDD2 and they could work together to load it fast.

Thats the general principle, without going into strip sizes an such like.

Chris

Reaction score
now you see my big dilema is... having to wait, it sounds great and i even cant wait lol, i will have to think of somthing till i can get it all around january 7th :p think i will get me my hl2 box set to0. now to dream for a month or so.

I also wonder what score it would hit in some bench marks... oh wait i will have to wait and see lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well... Its shed loads better that mine and mine gets 6,480... It will be around that, maybe not exactly that...

i'd imagine at least 14,500. Miniumum. I would expect LOTS more though

Reaction score
well any way you look at it its a good set up for a gaming rigg lol, my mate will sh@t his pants when he sees me playing hl2 - and he will have to go home to his geforce4mx420 lol

Reaction score
Well...

When compared to the MX420 which will pull a maximum of 94 3DMarks, the X800XTPE is pretty good.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Well...

When compared to the MX420 which will pull a maximum of 94 3DMarks, the X800XTPE is pretty good.

lol, i would be shocked if it wasnt lol.
i just cant wait untill he askes me to make him a pc! then i can make a profit lol

Reaction score
Oh i do it all the time!

I dont charge a set rate, i usually just round it up to an even number, or keep the change from what was left over in any miscalculations...

Made one for my tech teacher, she gave me cost of stuff + fifty quid for meself!

Reaction score
Cool lol, thats the shnizzal... i wounder if i can get me doing that lol.
start uni soon and people are going to need upgrades for the course i am on lol.

Reaction score
HELP! NEW MEMBER!

how can i post new thread? i cant find any buttons. i really need to start a new thead and i dont want to " hijack " this one

help appricaited

Reaction score
adam_rofe said:
HELP! NEW MEMBER!

how can i post new thread? i cant find any buttons. i really need to start a new thead and i dont want to " hijack " this one

help appricaited

you press the NEW THREAD button at the top of the forums page...

also i have just found out that the money i am getting is 1.2k more than i thought.. time to buy that cooler master case then lol.

Reaction score
Also upgrade the processor a notch or two. Not that the one i chose is bad in any way! Another gig of RAM maybe?

I'm sure we could spend another £1200 at a push :D

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Also upgrade the processor a notch or two. Not that the one i chose is bad in any way! Another gig of RAM maybe?

I'm sure we could spend another £1200 at a push :D

lol i look at it this way... i thought i had 5k coming my way (thats alot any way you look at it.) but i got an invoice from my lawer/soliciter stating that i have around 6.2k

so i was thinking (at the time i thought i had 5k) that if i spend £600 i can pay my way through uni (1k a year + 3years =3k +computer programs ect.)

but now i have 6.2 i thought that i can spend about another £200 on top of the £600 - the gcard (parents are paying for that) so that makes about £800 (that is more than i spent on my dell! and that money was also paid out of this lump sum i am getting lol! so over all i had about 7k and i have spent like a third on pcs lol!)

I thought of upgrading the case but i dont like the other cases from cool masters or any other company?! (i am strange.. i dont like those alian things.. there pointless in my eyes, to crap and plasticy for my liking, i want simple but sleak so i will stick with the case you suggested, *would i have to buy an aditional side panel to have the window? i think i would.)
thinking of buying a new monitor cheaper is better lol.
CoolDrive 4 - I dont know how much they cost/or even what they do lol but god they look cool! so i wouldnt mind with a cool Drive4 and Cool Drive 5, that would look really good!)
but really i would like to buy things that will make my pc last longer lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
looking at this so called "mid range" pc in my mag... the scan 3xs-m amd 939 and wondered would it be worth while in buying a built pc from them? or continue to build me own?? http://www.scan.co.uk/

Reaction score
so asking this maybe stupid to sum but witch is better? amd or intel? as i am looking at getting the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939), and also what does that mean lol, i have atm an intel pentium 4 2.6 ( i think ) so what is the other one = to?

and what is raid 0 to raid 1 or 5?

Reaction score
You can't really compare Intel and AMD, they are totally different. The 3500+ will pee ALL over your 2.6Ghz... and come to think of it, any 3.2GHz and above Intel too, and it will be even faster when 64bit is mainstream.

Raid 0 is striping, and Raid 1 is mirroring. 0 for performance and 1 for security :)

Ask a Question