Dell Optiplex graphics driver failure

Reaction score
I turned on my Dell Optiplex 3020 desktop PC today to find that the screen resolution is very low with 4:3 resolution stretched. Windows 11 settings show only 1024x768 resolution. The menu on the monitor shows a native resolution of 1600x900 but no way to select that. Device Manager shows that the Intel 4600 graphics driver has a fault, with the message: The driver for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

After looking on the Dell community forum for assistance, I have:
  • uninstalled the graphics driver and restarted
  • installed an earlier version of the driver from the Intel site
  • used the Custom Resolution Utility to manually change the resolution
  • used the Intel Graphics Command Center which does not show any option to change resolution, probably because of that fault
  • used the QRes utility to force a resolution change which produced an error message stating 1600x900 is not supported

Does anyone have other suggestions? Eventually I will have to get another PC if I can't fix this.

Reaction score
You may need to get the graphics driver from the Dell support site, not from Intel.
Sometimes OEM drivers are customized.

Ask a Question