STOP c000021a Fatal System Error on session manager initialisation process

news.microsoft.com

Does anyone know what the mysterious 32 meg hidden partition created by xp
is? Or is it something only created by Dell installations?

My computer is BSODing with an important looking:
STOP c000021a Fatal System Error
The session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc000003a and then various 0000000 000000s in brackets which I
can't imagine means much. (Does this trying to get into safe mode as well,
though I am intrigued that F8ing in the boot process would offer me the
option if the System Error is so Fatal?).

Does this mean that that first XP splash screen with the running blue dots
is invoked by whatever is on that curious hidden 32 meg partition and not by
system files in the OS?

Can this partition be repaired or is there a solution to this or is there
something in the restore console which might work? Googling newsgroups
seems to return only irrelevant results as opposed to Fatal System Error
results which have nothing to do with any 'session manager initialisation
process'.

Or is it time to run a Repair Installation (which apparently IS an option
from a Dell XP Home restore disc after you have pretended that you want to
do a fresh install)? I DO have both a home and a pro install disc though
not the one which came with this computer. I suppose I can do some type of
reinstall if it would Repair this problem and then do a key changer back to
the original genuine key afterwards if this would assist?

I don't have much on this drive I need to keep but I won't do a full
reinstall because of the 'time to reinstall all applications and recreate
all settings' point

XP doesnt have a "hidden partition",dell and other mfg do,its youre backup
to the OS...Try reading youre owners manual.

news.microsoft.com

My owners manual was lost years ago but my problem is that I used Partition
Commander to copy first that 32 meg partition exactly and in toto as a
hidden partition to a new drive. Then the C partition exactly and in toto,
then the D partition exactly and in toto.

BTW FWIW, Dell deny all knowledge of it, but there again, given their level
of training, I suppose they would!

Does anyone KNOW anything about this Fatal System Error please? Or is there
some way of correcting whatever is in that partition to tell it that the
drive is now a 50 gig one as opposed to a 30 gig one, if that is what is
necessary? (The primary logical partition on which the OS resides is
exactly the same)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This error can be caused by incorrect permissions that are set either in
the root of the drive or on the files, folders, or subfolders under
\windows.
883275 You cannot start your computer after you modify the permissions in
Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883275

Does anyone know what the mysterious 32 meg hidden partition created by xp
is? Or is it something only created by Dell installations?
I doubt this partition has anything to do with this error.
My computer is BSODing with an important looking:
STOP c000021a Fatal System Error
The session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc000003a and then various 0000000 000000s in brackets which I
can't imagine means much. (Does this trying to get into safe mode as well,
though I am intrigued that F8ing in the boot process would offer me the
option if the System Error is so Fatal?).
So the boot process starts with loading NTLDR, which is where you get the
options for loading the F8 options.
The boot process then loads ntoskrnl, which loads the registry, the hal,
drivers, etc.
During this process Session Manager starts. It fails to load properly or is
given incorrect information.
This could be registry corruption. This could be file system corruption.
This could be corrupted files.
In Windows Nt 4.0 and 3.51 this could be drive lettering issue as well. I
haven't seen drive lettering issues cause this error with Windows XP
however.
Does this mean that that first XP splash screen with the running blue dots
is invoked by whatever is on that curious hidden 32 meg partition and not by
system files in the OS?
It should have nothing to do with that. splash screen.

It's possible this is caused by drive corruption as well.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "news.microsoft.com" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re "Or is it something only created by Dell installations?"
assumed your answer?
<Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 12:50:04 -0400
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]
<>
<> "news.microsoft.com" wrote:
<>
<>> Does anyone know what the mysterious 32 meg hidden partition created by
<>> xp
<>> is? Or is it something only created by Dell installations?
<>>
<