SP2 Install Failure - Help

Steve

In the course of installing SP2, everything seemed to be ok until it reached
a file called tsoc.dll.

Installation said the file could not be installed. I retried several times.
When I said cancel, it asked if I wanted to continue without installing the
file. I said yes, but it wouldn't continue. The only remaining option was to
cancel which I selected. It then undid the installation. Fortunately,
everything went back to the way it was.

I would like to install SP2. Any ideas on what is going wrong and how to fix
it?

Thanks.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting.

I would like to recommend that you try these steps to install Windows XP
Service Pack 2 .

1. Download SP2 stand alone installer from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-
8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

2. Disable any 3rd party programs running in the background

You can run "msconfig" in Windows XP to disable the Startup Group. Then
reboot computer.

3. Install service pack 2 from executable downloaded to desktop in step 1

Does it work now?

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support