sound icon in system tray

G

golf nut

i have recently re-installed a fresh copy of XP Pro and i seem to have
a small issue...when starting up my sound/volume icon does not always
show up in the system tray. there is a another icon that does not
always show up that is associated with my printer.

anyone had this problem?? after started i can go in a see that the
"show icon in sys tray" option is checked. i can uncheck it and
re-check it and it then shows up.

thoughts?? thanks in advance!
tw

G

Hi
I have similar problem. This is most probably a bug in windows (or its a worm). I've had this problem since I installed windows on my new hard drive, so it could be a compatiblity problem.

Solutions :

1. If you know how to edit the registry do this (worked for me but its been only 3-4 reboots.) : a) go to run in start menu, type "regedit" and press enter.
b) go to this key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

right click on the right side and make a new string value. Modify its string value by right clicking it and type this into the text box C:\windows\system32\systray.exe. If you have installed windows at a different place type its path instead of the "C:\windows\" part.

The first method has worked for me so far but the so far is just 3-4 reboots. So tell me what worked for you by posting it.

2) Make a clean install of XP and dont connect to internet/LAN and dont get any stuff from friends/office, this will give us a method to make sure that its a worm/virus, if the problem does not happen until you keep your PC isolated then its a worm. In that case the first method will not work.

Post the reasults whatsoever. If you find an alternative solution post it pleeeease.

Ask a Question