I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected-> how?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by XP Guy, Feb 21, 2012.

  1. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.

    There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of them
    (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their respective icon
    is shown with a red X across it.

    What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the disconnected
    port.

    I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    tray.

    So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up in
    the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon in the
    tray (without the red X).

    There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
    network tray-icon:

    - Show icon in notification area when connected
    - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT enabling
    the second one would do what I want.

    But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not plugged
    in.

    Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
    disappear?

    How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

    XP Guy, Feb 21, 2012

  2. XP Guy

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected -> how?

    Control Panel\Network\Local area Connection\Properties\General and take out the
    checkmarks from both *Show Icon* and * Notify me* at the bottom of the page

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Feb 22, 2012

  3. XP Guy

    Patok Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > Control Panel\Network\Local area Connection\Properties\General and take
    > out the checkmarks from both *Show Icon* and * Notify me* at the bottom
    > of the page

    Cretinous answer, as foldes. To the OP - I don't think what you ask
    for is possible. If somebody knows better, please correct me.

    --
    You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
    *

    Patok, Feb 22, 2012
  4. XP Guy

    Char Jackson Guest

    Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected -> how?

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:53:45 -0500, Patok <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Foldes wrote:
    >> Control Panel\Network\Local area Connection\Properties\General and take
    >> out the checkmarks from both *Show Icon* and * Notify me* at the bottom
    >> of the page

    > Cretinous answer, as foldes. To the OP - I don't think what you ask
    >for is possible. If somebody knows better, please correct me.

    I don't think so, either.

    Char Jackson, Feb 22, 2012
  5. XP Guy

    "Patok" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    >> Control Panel\Network\Local area Connection\Properties\General and take out the
    >> checkmarks from both *Show Icon* and * Notify me* at the bottom of the page

    >I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    >tray.

    The OP asked for the above and believe me that is how you make it disappear. He
    stated something else in his header and also something else in the body of his
    message

    JS

    Peter Foldes, Feb 22, 2012
  6. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:

    > >> Control Panel\Network\Local area Connection\Properties\General
    > >> and take out the checkmarks from both *Show Icon* and * Notify
    > >> me* at the bottom of the page

    > > I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the
    > > system tray.

    > The OP asked for the above and believe me that is how you make it
    > disappear. He stated something else in his header and also
    > something else in the body of his message

    Wrong.

    How I wrote the subject line agrees perfectly with what I wrote in the
    body of the post.

    ==========
    Subject:
    I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not
    connected -> how?
    ===========

    In the message body:

    ===========
    What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the disconnected
    port. I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the
    system tray.
    ===========

    I thought I was quite clear as to the situation.

    When a network port does not have a functioning connection, I *DO NOT*
    want to be notified. By notification, I mean seeing a network icon with
    a red X in the system tray.

    When a network port DOES have a functioning connection, I *WOULD* like
    to see that as an icon in the system tray.

    Now tell me Peter, do you have instructions as to how to make this
    happen?

    Can you explain why this setting:

    - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    Does not work properly when un-checked?

    (I interpret the term "notification" to mean -> show me an
    icon with a red X in the system tray)

    XP Guy, Feb 23, 2012
  7. XP Guy

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected -> how?

    In news:,
    XP Guy wrote:

    >>> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the
    >>> system tray.

    >> The OP asked for the above and believe me that is how you make it
    >> disappear. He stated something else in his header and also
    >> something else in the body of his message

    > Wrong.
    >
    > How I wrote the subject line agrees perfectly with what I wrote in the
    > body of the post.
    >
    > ==========
    > Subject:
    > I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not
    > connected -> how?
    > ===========
    >
    > In the message body:
    >
    > ===========
    > What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the
    > disconnected port. I want it to completely disappear. To not be
    > present in the system tray.
    > ===========
    >
    > I thought I was quite clear as to the situation.
    >
    > When a network port does not have a functioning connection, I *DO NOT*
    > want to be notified. By notification, I mean seeing a network icon
    > with a red X in the system tray.
    >
    > When a network port DOES have a functioning connection, I *WOULD* like
    > to see that as an icon in the system tray.
    >
    > Now tell me Peter, do you have instructions as to how to make this
    > happen?
    >
    > Can you explain why this setting:
    >
    > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
    >
    > Does not work properly when un-checked?
    >
    > (I interpret the term "notification" to mean -> show me an
    > icon with a red X in the system tray)

    There might be a better way, but I disable LAN and firewire through the
    Device Manager and then they never show up in the System Tray. As I only
    use the wireless anyway.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Feb 23, 2012
  8. Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when notconnected -> how?

    On 2/21/12 3:09 PM, XP Guy wrote:
    > I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
    >
    > There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of them
    > (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their respective icon
    > is shown with a red X across it.
    >
    > What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the disconnected
    > port.
    >
    > I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    > tray.
    >
    > So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up in
    > the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon in the
    > tray (without the red X).
    >
    > There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
    > network tray-icon:
    >
    > - Show icon in notification area when connected
    > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
    >
    > So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT enabling
    > the second one would do what I want.
    >
    > But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not plugged
    > in.
    >
    > Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
    > disappear?
    >
    > How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

    My configuration has two PCs (both Windows XP SP3 Home) connected to a
    router that then connects to a cable modem. When I disable the
    connection from one of the PCs, the network icon disappears in the same
    way that disconnecting through a dial-up modem would make the icon
    disappear. The other PC remains connected through the router and modem
    to the Internet; it still shows the icon. When I later enable the
    connection to the router for the disabled PC, the icon re-appears there.

    On the Network Connections window, enabling and disabling the connection
    is through "Local Area Connection" under "LAN or High-Speed Internet",
    not through "Broadband Connection" under "Broadband".

    --

    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

    Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
    snooping into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

    David E. Ross, Feb 23, 2012
  9. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    BillW50 wrote:

    > There might be a better way, but I disable LAN and firewire through
    > the Device Manager and then they never show up in the System Tray.

    Did you even stop and think that my situation anticipates that both
    situations (connected and not connected) are possible? And hence
    disabling the hardware is not an ergonomic solution?

    > As I only use the wireless anyway.

    The desktop system in question will be cloned many times, and those
    clones may or may not end up having a network connection.

    XP Guy, Feb 23, 2012
  10. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    "David E. Ross" wrote:

    > My configuration has two PCs (...)

    David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting is
    NOT enabled:

    - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    XP Guy, Feb 23, 2012
  11. XP Guy

    SC Tom Guest

    "XP Guy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
    >
    > There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of them
    > (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their respective icon
    > is shown with a red X across it.
    >
    > What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the disconnected
    > port.
    >
    > I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    > tray.
    >
    > So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up in
    > the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon in the
    > tray (without the red X).
    >
    > There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
    > network tray-icon:
    >
    > - Show icon in notification area when connected
    > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
    >
    > So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT enabling
    > the second one would do what I want.
    >
    > But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not plugged
    > in.
    >
    > Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
    > disappear?
    >
    > How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

    Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the
    ability to edit a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon within it. There's your solution; I just
    don't know how to accomplish it :)
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Feb 23, 2012
  12. XP Guy

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected -> how?

    In news:ji5b8e$cvl$,
    SC Tom wrote:
    > "XP Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
    >>
    >> There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of
    >> them (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their
    >> respective icon is shown with a red X across it.
    >>
    >> What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the
    >> disconnected port.
    >>
    >> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    >> tray.
    >>
    >> So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up
    >> in the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon
    >> in the tray (without the red X).
    >>
    >> There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
    >> network tray-icon:
    >>
    >> - Show icon in notification area when connected
    >> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
    >>
    >> So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT
    >> enabling the second one would do what I want.
    >>
    >> But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not
    >> plugged in.
    >>
    >> Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
    >> disappear?
    >>
    >> How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

    > Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are
    > contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the ability to edit
    > a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon
    > within it. There's your solution; I just don't know how to accomplish
    > it :)

    You can use ResHacker to open %windir%\system32\netshell.dll and delete
    Icon Group 195 if you wanted to go through this route. Backup the file
    first. ;-)

    Resource Hacker
    http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Feb 23, 2012
  13. XP Guy

    SC Tom Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:ji5fb1$379$...
    > In news:ji5b8e$cvl$,
    > SC Tom wrote:
    >> "XP Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
    >>>
    >>> There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of
    >>> them (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their
    >>> respective icon is shown with a red X across it.
    >>>
    >>> What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the
    >>> disconnected port.
    >>>
    >>> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
    >>> tray.
    >>>
    >>> So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up
    >>> in the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon
    >>> in the tray (without the red X).
    >>>
    >>> There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
    >>> network tray-icon:
    >>>
    >>> - Show icon in notification area when connected
    >>> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
    >>>
    >>> So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT
    >>> enabling the second one would do what I want.
    >>>
    >>> But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not
    >>> plugged in.
    >>>
    >>> Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
    >>> disappear?
    >>>
    >>> How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

    >> Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are
    >> contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the ability to edit
    >> a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon
    >> within it. There's your solution; I just don't know how to accomplish
    >> it :)

    > You can use ResHacker to open %windir%\system32\netshell.dll and delete Icon Group 195 if you wanted to go through
    > this route. Backup the file first. ;-)
    >
    > Resource Hacker
    > http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

    I found this one http://melander.dk/reseditor/ easier to work with, and a bit more versatile.

    So, for grins and giggles, I decided to edit the two icons in group 195 to be just blank icons. (Had to save it as a
    different dll, reboot into safe mode w/command prompt, rename them, reboot, etc., etc.) It came up fine, and when I
    unplugged my network cable, the icon went to a blank icon (still there, just like a transparent placeholder), but the "a
    network cable is unplugged" message popped up, even though I have Notify Me. . . unchecked in network properties. I'm
    sure there's a Registry entry somewhere for that message, but I haven't looked for it. Maybe later- I have to go out for
    while now.
    --
    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Feb 23, 2012
  14. Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when notconnected-> how?

    On 2/22/12 7:30 PM, XP Guy wrote:
    > "David E. Ross" wrote:
    >
    >> My configuration has two PCs (...)

    > David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting is
    > NOT enabled:
    >
    > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    I generally have the checkbox checked. I unchecked it and disabled my
    connection. The icon disappeared just as it does when the checkbox is
    checked.

    Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
    router or physically disconnecting the router from the cable modem. All
    disabiling has been via software.

    David E. Ross, Feb 23, 2012
  15. XP Guy

    XP Guy Guest

    "David E. Ross" wrote:

    > > David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting
    > > is NOT enabled:
    > >
    > > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    > I unchecked it and disabled my connection.

    What do you mean - "disabled my connection".

    > Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
    > router

    (slaps forehead)

    What exactly do you think is the more typical use-case?

    Someone "disabling" their connection, or

    Someone unplugging their connection?

    XP Guy, Feb 24, 2012
  16. Re: I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when notconnected-> how?

    On 2/23/12 6:01 PM, XP Guy wrote:
    > "David E. Ross" wrote:
    >
    >>> David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting
    >>> is NOT enabled:
    >>>
    >>> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    >> I unchecked it and disabled my connection.

    > What do you mean - "disabled my connection".
    >
    >> Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
    >> router

    > (slaps forehead)
    >
    > What exactly do you think is the more typical use-case?
    >
    > Someone "disabling" their connection, or
    >
    > Someone unplugging their connection?

    To disable my connection, I can either right-click on the icon in the
    Windows tray and select Disable from the pull-down context menu or else
    I can go to [Start > Settings > Network Connections], right-click on
    Local Area Connection, and select Disable from the pull-down context menu.

    To physically disconnect, I can either get down on my knees and pull my
    PC tower out of its cubby in my computer desk (carefully since some of
    the cables are rather short) and disconnect the cable to my router or
    else do a do-se-do with my printer so that I can open the door to the
    attic storage space behind it and disconnect the cable at the router.
    (Both the router and cable modem are in the attic.) Both are a real
    bother, and I never physically disconnect unless I am having a hardware
    problem. I think the last time I physically disconnected was last
    summer, when my router failed and I had to install a new router.

    I frequently disable the connection (software disconnect) for various
    reasons:

    * For new software versions, I download the installer file and then
    disconnect so that, while I log the installation, no extraneous Internet
    activity appears in the log.

    * Some Web sites have very large files that are compressed. A bug in
    my browser fails to accept all the Internet packets and decompress them.
    This is a timing-related problem that seems to occur only while having
    a broadband connection. I disable my connection to my router and use a
    dial-up modem to get such Web pages. (My dial-up and broadband services
    are through two different ISPs.)

    * When I cannot access a Web page at all but <http://www.isup.me/>
    says the Web site is not down, I again resort to a dial-up connection,
    which requires first disabling my broadband connection.

    David E. Ross, Feb 24, 2012