Service Pack 2 for XP

ColinC

Hi

having a small problem with installing service pack 2. When I try to
install it gets to a certain point (after verification) and then says it
cannot proceed because services.exe is being used by another user or program.
I have tried installing in safe mode but to no avail - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Andrew E.

Try installing a diffrent version of SP2,it can be found
at:chttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/bb264768.aspx

Patrick Keenan

ColinC said:
Hi

having a small problem with installing service pack 2. When I try to
install it gets to a certain point (after verification) and then says it
cannot proceed because services.exe is being used by another user or
program.
I have tried installing in safe mode but to no avail - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Kill all other tasks before starting. Use Process Explorer to identify
them, and disconnect your network cable.

Are you installing from online? Try downloading the full SP2 installer
instead; google "XP SP2 IT" and the first two hits will take you to the
donwload page for the full file, about 266 meg.

When you have the file downloaded, run it from there. Unplug other devices.

If you still get the services.exe message, try creating a slipstreamed
version of your XP install CD, using Autostreamer, your XP CD, and the SP2
download. Then, boot from the CD and do a *repair* install. That will
take your system to SP2. You will then need the 80+ updates.

HTH
-pk

db ´¯`·.. >

yeh, install it
via safemode.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Shenan Stanley

ColinC said:
having a small problem with installing service pack 2. When I try
to install it gets to a certain point (after verification) and
then says it cannot proceed because services.exe is being used by
another user or program. I have tried installing in safe mode but
to no avail - can anyone help?

db ´¯`·.. > said:
yeh, install it
via safemode.

db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. .,

I am unsure if you just overlooked the OPs comment or if you were trying to
be sarcastic in this case...
ColinC wrote, "... I have tried installing in safe mode but to no avail ..."
So if it was a suggested course of action - I believe the OP has already
tried this.

ColinC,

I recommend you download the full installation file:

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Save it to your desktop and install from there (double-click to run, etc.)

Before you do that, however; be sure to prepare for the update.
- Do an extra backup of your files/pictures/favorites/installation
media/serial numbers/emails/contacts/etc.
- Uninstall any unused applications from the Add or Remove Control Pnael.
- Update your hardware drivers from each hardware devices' manufacturer's
support web pages.
- Run a full AntiVirus Scan on your computer.
- Scan and clean your system of Spyware/adware using several different
applications.
- Empty your temporary internet files and cleanup your hard drive space a
little.
- Scan the disk for errors...
- Defragment the space...

Some help towards those ends...

Backing up:

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Cobian Backup
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Uninstalling unused applications:

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895

Figuring out what hardware/software you need to update:

Belarc Advisor (get your hardware/software information)
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

A few good AntiSpyware Applications:

SuperAntiSpyware (Free and up)
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Free (Free and up)
http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

For some of the disk maintenance tasks:

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

db ´¯`·.. >

obviously i overlooked
that fact.

might it be possible
that instead of providing
a most valuable and professional
critique, you might spend you
most valuable time providing a
solution.....? << sarcastic just
incase you don't know the diff.

possibly, the reason the o.p.
decided at this stage in time
to install sp2 was due to the
fact that other problems arose.

then when other programs could
not be installed, sp2 was attempted
and suffered the same fate.

prey tell, what would thou
suggest in the scenario above???

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Shenan Stanley

Answers inline...
Conversation in its entirety:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a8210?lnk=st&q=author:ColinC#29fc58d251fa8210

db ´¯`·.. > said:
yeh, install it
via safemode.
db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. .,

I am unsure if you just overlooked the OPs comment or if you were trying
to be sarcastic in this case...

ColinC wrote, "... I have tried installing in safe mode but to no avail
..."
So if it was a suggested course of action - I believe the OP has already
tried this.

ColinC,

I recommend you download the full installation file:

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Save it to your desktop and install from there (double-click to run, etc.)

Before you do that, however; be sure to prepare for the update.
<advice snipped as I will repeat it below...>

db ´¯`·.. > said:
obviously i overlooked
that fact.

might it be possible
that instead of providing
a most valuable and professional
critique, you might spend you
most valuable time providing a
solution.....? << sarcastic just
incase you don't know the diff.

I realize that is sarcasm - but I did provide a solution to the OP in ther
same response I provided the critique of your posting. ;-)
possibly, the reason the o.p.
decided at this stage in time
to install sp2 was due to the
fact that other problems arose.

then when other programs could
not be installed, sp2 was attempted
and suffered the same fate.

prey tell, what would thou
suggest in the scenario above???

I would have made the same suggestions I did in the same response I gave
when I critiqued your response... I will include them below...
[...]

Why? Because if they cleaned up their system - they would likely solve the
reason they could not install anything. ;-)

db ´¯`·.. >

the instructions for the o.p.
and the critique was directed to
me.

further your suggestions
do not include the links below:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=6527&x=11&y=13

and

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

some might consider
the responses by mvp's
as the final word rather
than helpful suggestions
by volunteers.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

db ´¯`·.. > said:
yeh, install it
via safemode.
db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. .,

I am unsure if you just overlooked the OPs comment or if you were trying
to be sarcastic in this case...

ColinC wrote, "... I have tried installing in safe mode but to no avail
..."
So if it was a suggested course of action - I believe the OP has already
tried this.

ColinC,

I recommend you download the full installation file:

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Save it to your desktop and install from there (double-click to run, etc.)

Before you do that, however; be sure to prepare for the update.
<snipped>
<the entirety of the conversation can be found using the link at the top of
this message>

Shenan Stanley wrote in message
I realize that is sarcasm - but I did provide a solution to the OP
in ther same response I provided the critique of your posting. ;-)

I would have made the same suggestions I did in the same response
I gave when I critiqued your response... I will include them
below...
<snipped>
<the entirety of the conversation can be found using the link at the top of
this message>

<below here - the reply is inline and at the end...>

db ´¯`·.. > said:
the instructions for the o.p.
and the critique was directed to
me.

Well, yes.
I believe I made that quite clear in the original response.
I directed my responses with a greeting block before each section.
The section starting with " db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. .," would be the part
directed towards you.
The section starting with "CoinC," would be the part directed towards the
OP.

db ´¯`·.. > said:

You are correct - that was a web page I could have suggested. I saw no need
for it at this time. Some basic troubleshooting steps and learning how to
clean the computer and properly prepare it for SP2 would speed up any future
conversations - and if the latter was necessary at that future date (if the
general cleanup did not resolve the issue) I would have given it like this:

db ´¯`·.. > said:

That would be a bit too cryptic, I believe, for the OP to go through. It
really isn't very specific to their problem - as it is a search for "cannot
install SP2" in the "microsoft.public.windowsupdate" newsgroup. If they had
known about that - they might not have posted here (or there is a
possibility they posted in both) and they gave a much better description
that that...

"... then says it cannot proceed because services.exe is being used by
another user or program ..."

So a search I might suggest would have been more along the lines of:

Windows XP cannot install SP2 services.exe in use
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
or
http://groups.google.com/groups/sea...nnot+install+SP2+services.exe+in+use&safe=off

Neither of which turned up anything for me of great use - so I did not
bother suggesting to the OP they look through the searches as well in case I
missed something - choosing instead to take a pro-active approach and have
them perform the basic steps they should do with any such major update - and
based off experience - SP2 qualifies.
some might consider
the responses by mvp's
as the final word rather
than helpful suggestions
by volunteers.

I would hope not - but you are probably correct.

Many people misunderstand what the MVP award is for/means. It does not mean
"end-all be-all of answer givers" or anything even close. It merely means
that one has been recognized by their peers for providing help and support
(via their volunteered time and knowledge) in these newsgroups. They are as
apt to being mistaken/incorrect as anyone else about these matters and any
that believe themselves above that are mistaken in that belief if nothing
else. ;-)

MVPs are volunteers - just like veryone else here. I can only speak for
myself - but I was a volunteer here long before I was awarded the title MVP
and I will likely be a volunteer here and in other similar places whether or
not the title comes along for the ride.