RPC Server is unavailible

Ron Eggler

Hi,

If i wanna sync the time with a time server i get: "RPC Server is
unavailible".
I tried to start the service in the cmd by typing: 'net start w32time' but
then i got following:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has n
o enabled devices associated with it.

then i tried to start it in the control panel-admin toolws-services but when
i tried to start 'Windows Time' i got: "Could not start the Windows Time
service on Local Computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

What to do? thanks very much!

Btw.: yes, i installed SP2 already

Feng Mao

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting! Also thanks Kelly for providing the KB article on
the resolution of Error 1058 when starting RPC service.

Ron, I wonder what kind of Time Server is using in your network. If it is
Windows based Time Server, the below is the article in the Microsoft
knowledge base.

816042 How to configure the Windows Time service on a Windows Server
2003-based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816042

On the Windows XP Windows Time Service client, there is another article on
how to synchronize the time with the Windows Time service.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then
click Command Prompt.

2. Type the following line, where <peerlist> is a comma-separated list of
Domain Name System (DNS) names or IP addresses of the appropriate time
sources, and then press ENTER:

"w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:<peerlist>"
(without the quotation marks)

3. Type "w32tm /config /update" (without the quotation marks), and then
press ENTER.

For the detailed information, visit the below KB article:

307897 How To Synchronize the Time with the Windows Time Service in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307897

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,