Windows XP Problem booting XP computer

Reaction score
I have been having problems booting a Windows XP Pro computer. The computer will go through the POST and show the "Windows Startup screen", but then will go to what used to be the light blue Welcome screen, but my user icons are not there. It is just blank, and it will not go any further.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried booting in to Windows via safe mode?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can try that, but it seems like you have a much more confusing problem if you get to the welcome screen with no icons. It might be best to just do an XP reinstall over the top (but do make sure you have a backup of your data, just in case).

Reaction score
I have thought of that....the problem is that the computer belongs to a friend of mine, who owns a business that he recently purchased.....and the computer came with the business....the computer is running a software that links his computer and his cash register, and does not have the disk to the software (he has an upgrade disk to the software, but not the original).....I am afraid of a re-install that might cause him to lose that software......He has not performed backups, actually he tried to save it to a cd, but only saved shortcuts so it wasn't performed properly....Do you know if I do the re-install....could that cause the other software to disappear....

If I cant come up with a solution, I plan on sending him to an IT business to see if they can get him squared away...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it's linked to something that critical, then you are right to wait. I'm not sure what to suggest that wouldn't have the possibility of losing data - you may need to get someone in for this one.

If I remember correctly, you can install XP over using a repair install - however it might tamper with the software used to operate the till so I wouldn't recommend it without full backups:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Ask a Question