Windows 7 Blank Pager Icons in My Computer

Reaction score
I found this entry and it describes the exact problem I'm experiencing with my new computer, Windows 7. I had copied the entry and have no idea where it is posted.

I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank page
icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double click
does nothing). Here is a screenshot:

I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden files
the number of these blank icons triples.

I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through a
bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.
Sorry, the link to the screenie came out bad, here is a corrected one:

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?i...omputerdr6.jpg

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
First, your link does nothing but direct to imageshack to upload more images. I think you have the wrong link.

As far as hidden files showing up in large numbers, the only files that I am aware of that should be hidden on the desktop is the desktop.ini and perhaps one or two more supporting .dlls If you have that many, you probably have an infection of some sort.

There is a feature in Windows 7 (I cannot seem to find a proper link at the moment), that will hide desktop icons during a desktop cleanup type of process. If it an icon you have not clicked in a while, the icon would be removed from the desktop as Windows would assume you don't want it there because you don't use it. As we know, this is not always the case. I have not changed this setting on my machine and I do not see icons disappearing so I assume they may have changed that in a patch or something. I may be wrong though.

Upgrading the OS is never really a good idea. I know it sounds cool. "Hey, I can keep all of my old stuff and programs and I can upgrade Windows!" No. Just no. While you keep your programs and such installed, you also carry over problems. If your car is having engine troubles, you don't slap a coat of paint on it and expect it to be brand new again. It's now just a shiny pile of fail. I think you get the idea.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding!

The link was not mine...all of that was a quote that described my problem exactly.
Why do you refer to these as "hidden files"? These files are not on the desktop, they are in various folders. My pc is brand new and came with these files, and they just keep increasing.

Since it is a new pc, I had no choice but to get Windows 7. I wanted XP again, but it is not available on the new pcs, nor is it available to purchase in stores here.

Sometimes these files are zip files, sometimes website files, but most often I can't figure out how to open them because I have no idea what kind of files they are.

Do you have any ideas? Should I just delete them?

Thank you again!

Cindy

First, your link does nothing but direct to imageshack to upload more images. I think you have the wrong link.

As far as hidden files showing up in large numbers, the only files that I am aware of that should be hidden on the desktop is the desktop.ini and perhaps one or two more supporting .dlls If you have that many, you probably have an infection of some sort.

There is a feature in Windows 7 (I cannot seem to find a proper link at the moment), that will hide desktop icons during a desktop cleanup type of process. If it an icon you have not clicked in a while, the icon would be removed from the desktop as Windows would assume you don't want it there because you don't use it. As we know, this is not always the case. I have not changed this setting on my machine and I do not see icons disappearing so I assume they may have changed that in a patch or something. I may be wrong though.

Upgrading the OS is never really a good idea. I know it sounds cool. "Hey, I can keep all of my old stuff and programs and I can upgrade Windows!" No. Just no. While you keep your programs and such installed, you also carry over problems. If your car is having engine troubles, you don't slap a coat of paint on it and expect it to be brand new again. It's now just a shiny pile of fail. I think you get the idea.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Personally, I would use the restore software from the PC manufacturer. That is not normal for sure. Have you tried running a virus scan or malware scan?

Reaction score
Yes, I tried running a virus scan...no change. In fact, now I have numerous files that have the wrong icon/format so I have no idea how to open them. For instance, a file that I can open with PhotoImpact, for example, has a "zip" icon.

Thanks again for your help!

Cindy

Personally, I would use the restore software from the PC manufacturer. That is not normal for sure. Have you tried running a virus scan or malware scan?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
wow, 6 months to come back on the issue?

Reformat the machine. If you still have whatever it is that you claimed to have before, it has eaten its way through your system. There is nothing that I can do here, to help you with this.

You could try file re-association for those. Right click the file and choose Open With. Choose program and then select the proper program to open the file. That may allow you to open the files.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
snail-mail.jpg

Over here, we call it the "Snail Mail"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! Yeah, I was hospitalized for 3 months, working on recovery since then. Okay, will do.

I did try to re-associate files, but to no avail...refuses to open with the file type I choose. Thanks again for your help!

wow, 6 months to come back on the issue?

Reformat the machine. If you still have whatever it is that you claimed to have before, it has eaten its way through your system. There is nothing that I can do here, to help you with this.

You could try file re-association for those. Right click the file and choose Open With. Choose program and then select the proper program to open the file. That may allow you to open the files.

Ask a Question