POP-UP ads....DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!

rferoni

Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!! I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of
them control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...

ron

rferoni

....I tried the advice from the thread "msn popups" below but it did not work. I think it may have lessened them but not enough..

ron

madmax

rferoni said:
Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!! I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of
them control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...

ron
Firefox stops them pretty well
-max

--
Programs that I use and recommend (all are free)
Many thanks to all the people who make these fine products!
Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3
http://www.safer-networking.org/
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Sygate Personal Firewall
http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
Avast! For Home
Eraser 5.3
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
CwShredder
HijackThis
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
Thunderbird
Firefox

This message is virus free as far I can tell
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
Use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Duane Arnold

...I tried the advice from the thread "msn popups" below but it did
not work. I think it may have lessened them but not enough..

ron

I use the POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION.

Duane :)

John Smith

Hi Ron

I've found that the Popup Blocker that comes with the Google Toolbar does a
decent enough job. You can set it to allow popups from particular sites,
and also allow individual popups by holding down CTRL while clicking on the
link that invokes the popup. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick!

Visit the friendly folk at www.google.com. There's a link there somewhere
for the Google Toolbar.

Jeff

"rferoni" <rferoni-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None
will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to

Gabriela Salvisberg

rferoni said:
Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!! I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of
them control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...

Use Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. If the popup ads aren't
caused by the browser, they may be caused by the messenger service.
If so, read this:

HTH
Gabriela

The Prophecy

rferoni said:
Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!!
I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of them
control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that
will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...

ron

First...

Download, update and use the following:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

Second, use a different browser other than Internet Explorer. Some people
have suggested Mozilla and from what I have heard it does a good job of
blocking popups. I suggest Netscape 7.1. Its popup blocker is great. Since I
started using it I have not seen one unwanted popup.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven The Prophecy:
Second, use a different browser other than Internet Explorer. Some
people have suggested Mozilla and from what I have heard it does a
good job of blocking popups.

I haven't seen a popup in a very long time. Years. Keep IE for Windows
updates, and nothing else.
I suggest Netscape 7.1. Its popup blocker is great. Since I started
using it I have not seen one unwanted popup.

7.1 uses the Mozilla (Gecko) version 1.4 engine. Moz is about ready to
release 1.7 and 1.8 won't be far behind. Besides, Netscape the browser
is a dead product. Go with Mozilla, or Firefox/Thunderbird.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Conor

"rferoni" <rferoni-AT- said:
Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!! I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of
them control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...
www.mozilla.com/firefox
www.opera.com

BF

rferoni said:
Is there a way to stop the POP-UP ads?? They are driving me nuts!! I have free version of Zone Alarm, McAffee Virus scan. None of
them control ad blocking(unless you pay). Is there a setting in XP that will help? I've set my internet security to HIGH but to no
avail........thanks for any advice...

ron
After hearing about a large security hole in Internet explorer, I
downloaded Mozilla firefox. I just did this last night and haven't had
one pop up. Also Mozilla Thunderbird is a great email/news browser.

@

@Damski

Gabriela Salvisberg said:
Use Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. If the popup ads aren't
caused by the browser, they may be caused by the messenger service.
If so, read this:

HTH
Gabriela

That's the answer, as expressed by the last three or so
posters........change the browser you are using to Mozilla or Mozilla
Firefox. Both are free to download, and have a better, more user freindly
"feel" to them than Internet Explorer.
They include pop up blocker as a standardd aspect of the brower, that you
can switch on and off as you wish.
I have been advised that in terms of internet security the Mozilla
browsers are much more secure than Internet Explorer, since IE is so deeply
embedded in the Windows OS source code that should you be exposed to a
security exploit on-line it is much more likely to affect your entire OS
than is the case with Mozilla, which is a stand-alone
application........After all with Windows XP you can't even uninstall
Internet Explorer 6.0

Gregg Cattanach

There is a perfectly acceptable and free way to stop all popups without
abandoning IE. Get Popup Manager from http://www.endpopups.com/ . It has a
tiny footprint, (just adds one .dll to your IE load) and stops every popup,
except ones that you initial yourself (i.e. new windows that are spawned
from webpages when you click a link designed to create a new window.) This
thing is GREAT and it's free.

Gregg C.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Gregg Cattanach:
There is a perfectly acceptable and free way to stop all popups
without abandoning IE. Get Popup Manager from
http://www.endpopups.com/ . It has a tiny footprint, (just adds one
.dll to your IE load) and stops every popup, except ones that you
initial yourself (i.e. new windows that are spawned from webpages
when you click a link designed to create a new window.) This thing
is GREAT and it's free.

Sure. There are a thousand "popup stopper" programs out there. Most
cost money. None relieve you of the insecurity of Internet Explorer.

Why not simply move up in life? Get a modern, secure browser that
doesn't require all this third-party silliness.

Gregg Cattanach

Beauregard said:
Quoth the raven Gregg Cattanach:

Sure. There are a thousand "popup stopper" programs out there. Most
cost money. None relieve you of the insecurity of Internet Explorer.

Why not simply move up in life? Get a modern, secure browser that
doesn't require all this third-party silliness.

The OP didn't ask about security issues, just about pop-ups. I would guess
that Mozilla or Opera would qualify at 'third-party silliness" ? I'm sure
they are wonderful products, but that's not the point. The vast quantity of
IE insucurities have been patches by MS and only extremely obscure and rare
exploits still occur.

These "use Mozilla" posts whenever anyone has a issue with IE are as
annoying as posts that suggest Linux should be used instead whenever someone
posts a problem with their Windows installation. They are ultimately
off-topic and completely unhelpful.

Gregg C.

Conor

gcattanach- said:
The OP didn't ask about security issues, just about pop-ups. I would guess
that Mozilla or Opera would qualify at 'third-party silliness" ? I'm sure
they are wonderful products, but that's not the point. The vast quantity of
IE insucurities have been patches by MS and only extremely obscure and rare
exploits still occur.
Wrong. THere's a wide open hole still being exploited.

Also you're assuming that people actually run Windows Update. MSBlast
and Sobig proved that millions don't.
These "use Mozilla" posts whenever anyone has a issue with IE are as
annoying as posts that suggest Linux should be used instead whenever someone
posts a problem with their Windows installation. They are ultimately
off-topic and completely unhelpful.
No, they're correct.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Gregg Cattanach:
The OP didn't ask about security issues, just about pop-ups. I
would guess that Mozilla or Opera would qualify at 'third-party
silliness" ? I'm sure they are wonderful products, but that's not
the point.

Judging by the OP's post, I'd guess s/he is unaware of the issues with
IE. Don't you think it is a good idea to spend a moment and assist
with the prime reason for the problem?
The vast quantity of IE insucurities have been patches
by MS and only extremely obscure and rare exploits still occur.

This is not what I read. In many groups (these included) people will
oft times post that "I'm fully patched, I have the latest updates from
These "use Mozilla" posts whenever anyone has a issue with IE are
as annoying as posts that suggest Linux should be used instead
whenever someone posts a problem with their Windows installation.
They are ultimately off-topic and completely unhelpful.

My take on the "switch to Linux" posts is that they are
tongue-in-cheek. Usually. :)

You must work for Mr. Gates if you think it is a good idea to not
recommend moving away from his ancient browser.

Dag Korsnes

Beauregard said:
Sure. There are a thousand "popup stopper" programs out there. Most
cost money. None relieve you of the insecurity of Internet Explorer.

Why not simply move up in life? Get a modern, secure browser that
doesn't require all this third-party silliness.

There are some web pages you can't open with other browsers. If anybody
knows a browser that will open an area on this interactive map:
http://casa.sapo.pt/ , I'll abandon IE right away! I have tried Opera,
Mozillas, Netscape and others.