PCI Wireless card, no card will work

Reaction score
Hello all...

KGB is back with yet another computer problem.

This time i cannot get any PCI Wireless Network card to work in my computer.

--

I installed a Belkin (F5D 7000) that i got give by a mate, whenever i tried to connect to a network it would say "the network is unavailable or out of range" so i thought that it must be a bead card. i have just bought a brand new Buffalo card from Dabs. it came and i installed it according to the instructions.

Exactally the same problem. i have tried the new card on XP Pro (SP2) and the belkin on XP Pro (SP2), XP Pro, XP Home (SP1) & XP Home (SP2).

I have been through my BIOS messing up settings, and flashed the BIOS to version 7 BETA then back to version 6.

Is there a setting in the BIOS i missed?

Please help me, as atm, i have to plug my laptop to my computer (using my new crossover cable) to get on the net.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
Lets start basic-- are both card and router same frequency??? a,b,g and also same Mghz settings. Are they close enough together??? Is your network Wepped or have any type of securities. Can you enter the router address from the pc with the network card ?

Reaction score
Both are G. They are close enough. Network has WPA (13 char) security. i dont know about the last one.

Until my USB dongle died, it would connect fine.

Reaction score
Last one is a good start, try the address, should be in manual to aid in router config. SHould look like 128.168.1.1 or something like that. Than lastly, can other pcs connect to the router ?? Are you sure that it is functioning properly?

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with ANY of this stuff. the network cards both will work just not in this computer and we have 5 other machines here (2 apple, 3 windows) that constantly connect to the wireless network.

There is something up with the motherboard that will not let it work. it is the only PCI thing i use.

As the USB ones did wok fine.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So the card is detected ok, and drivers work etc... but it just can't find the network?

Reaction score
Now i have messed about with the BIOS and finally managed to get the card to 'work'

i say 'work' because yes, it will connect to the network but it says it has connected at 54MBps, but the web pages take an age to load compaired to my laptop (only connected at 11 MBps)

it also causes the computer to be unstable and crash a lot.

I have resorted back to the crossover cable.

Any suggestions?

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you change anything at all? Does rolling back the system to when it work help? (I guess not from the description, but you never know!)

Reaction score
I have the same problem still. it is really ****ing my off.

I have a new motherboard, a clean install of XP Pro (SP2) and still nothing.

Why will it not connect?

Ask a Question