Windows XP Nyd Help "NTVDM KERNEL"

Reaction score
I cannot login to my system. I’m getting the following error message at my login screen:

NTVDM KERNEL: Missing 16 bit system module. Please reinstall the following module to your system32 directory:
USER.EXE'.

I’m using Windows XP, SP 2

Can someone please help me……

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you boot into safe mode? have you used last good configartion in when you press f8?

Have you got much data on the hard drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried to boot into safe mode & I’ve used last good configuration but still no luck…

I do have lots of important data in C drive, so I don’t want to format it… and unfortunately I don’t have any backups…

Anything else I can do…

Please help….

Reaction score
Hi,

I don’t know if this will work, but it might be worth a try boot from your xp cd when it says repair installation of windows xp press r to use recovery utility then at does prompt enter admin passwords if you have any. Then type this in sfc /scannow it should check all the system files and replace any that are not working right.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
Did you install anything or change any system files before this error started?

When you did the repair install did it complete or did it stop when it got stuck on User.exe?

Last edited:

Ask a Question