info at Msft or NVIDIA. Downloading and installing the
current nForce drivers did not help; maybe I need to
remove a file and replace it...
TIA,
Tom

Reaction score
Error Message:
NVidia AGP Filter is not compatible with Windows XPTranslation:
You’re attempting to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional and the setup program quits, presenting you with this error message. Interestingly, this problem can occur whether you have an application on your system that requires an NVIDIA driver or not. Many systems come with drivers installed that your particular hardware setup may or may not use. This message is very common on HP systems. The WinXP Pro setup is incompatible with the version of the driver that it’s encountering during setup.Solution:
You’ll need to edit the Windows Registry to remove the NVIDIA driver’s subkey. First, cancel the setup program if you haven’t done so. In My Computer, click Search and search for the NV_agp.sys file. You may find more than one version in different directories. Right-click the first file in the list and rename it NV_agp.old. Do the same with any other copies of the file you find. Close the Search window. Now, click Start, Run, type regedit in the Open field, and click OK. Look for this subkey in the Windows Registry KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NV_AGP

Right-click NV_AGP and select Delete. Click Yes to confirm the deletion, quit Regedit, and restart your computer. Start the WinXP Professional setup program again. The program will prompt you for the location of the NV_agp.sys file. Press Shift-F10 and a command prompt window will display. Change into the appropriate directory by typing cd \Windows\system32\drivers. Then type rename NV_agp.old NV_agp.sys. When the command prompt returns, type exit to get back into the setup program, which is still waiting for the location of the NV_agp.sys file. Browse to find the newly renamed file and select it. The Setup program should continue as normal.

Tom Arkwright said:
My upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro won't allow me to
install because my HP Pavillion 513c has an NVIDIA AGP
filter. Windows did not name the offending file or
capability, and 5 hours later I have not found any
info at Msft or NVIDIA. Downloading and installing the
current nForce drivers did not help; maybe I need to
remove a file and replace it...
TIA,
Tom

Ask a Question