Not enough memory to complete this operation

Hi, I am using Windos Vista Ultimate and a laptop Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM
and 60GB HDD.

After installing Windos Vista, I needed to restore the files (backup) using
copy/paste or drag-and-drog facility. However, whenever I do it, after few
minutes, the message - not enough memory to complete this operation - appears
and the process is aborted.

I dont know if Vista changed the way to work, but WXP didnt work this way,
and I noticed that Vista is taking about 80-90% of CPU usage.

Remember, Windows Vista was installed as clean mode.

It is boring a lot, because I cannot do the restore. If you could help me on
this issue, I would appreciate it a lot.

It seems that there is a fix to this problem, but I didnt find it. It sounds
like - memory checker patch.

Thanks

Ben Enfield

Be VERY wary about using a third party patch. It sounds too much like a
virus, trojan, spyware.

Ben

Ben Enfield

About the memory problem, I don't know, but the CPU "problem" is common to
new installs. Vista indexes everything on you computer, I would recommend
letting the computer sit overnight and index your files.

Ben

Max Norris

Has any fixes been made available for this yet?

I can reproduce this error every time. Right now I'm working around it by
using a 3rd party file manager when I need to move a lot of files. Using
Total Commander, but most will work if they bypass Explorer's file copy
system. Explorer is also just rediculiously slow copying files too, even
just one big one.

I can't believe this didn't get fixed in beta...

Max Norris

Heya --

Ahh nice if you've found it, it's an obnoxious lil bugger of a bug. I know
it's just Explorer but after that.. no idea. (And I know its to be
expected.. hey XP went thru the initial growing phase as well.. count me in
among the original bunch of "XP is buggy and slow, I'll stay with 95 thank
you")

Anyway, to answer your question.

Using Vista Ultimate, final, US version. The system is a hair dated, but no
slouch. Athlon XP 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia nForce2 chipset, ATI Radeon X850
video, Creative Labs Audigy 2 (using 3rd party audio drivers as Creative's
are nowhere near ready for primetime yet)

I have disabled indexing entirely, along with a few other services that I
really won't get much use out of. (Nice feature but I dont use it much and
it's just slowing my system down.) Hidden files are still hidden, waste
basket is disabled. (Not shown, and deleted files are just deleted) I have
protection turned on still though. Swap file is on a seperate drive with
its own little partition.

As far as reproducing this problem, it's pretty easy. I have a lot of
programming source code floating around in a Development directory, which I
copied off onto one of my Win2K servers while I redid my system with Vista
(fresh install) There's a few dozen sub-folders, and thousands of files. All
I need to do is do a drag-and-drop copy off my server onto my Vista system.
The copy starts off ok, gets slower and slower, and eventually Explorer dies
with an out of memory error. (Altho monitoring my memory.. its not running
out) A message I read somewhere had a different approach. Make a blank text
file and save it in an empty folder. Copy and paste it. Select both, copy
and paste. Keep selecting all and copy/pasting. You'll see the performance
drop like a rock after a few times.

This *only* happens in Explorer though. If I use Total Commander (or
another 3rd party file manager that doesn't use Explorer to move files
around), it runs just fine and with a decent speed. (Not as fast as XP but
I'll chalk that up to immature Vista drivers, I can live with it till
they're more polished.)

This Explorer issue aside, I got Vista running rather smoothly, and very
happy with its performance now. Aside from Creative Labs dragging their feet
with drivers (and ZoneLabs.. but I'm using Kaspersky now and not looking
back) and this Explorer issue it's running great.