Memory leak when copying large numbers of files

mister.jones

Hello!
When trying to copy large numbers of files (>500,000), Vista stops after
~300,000 and complains:
"There is not enough free memory."
The size of the explorer.exe process keeps growing during copying (>500 MB)
, but there should still be enough RAM (2GB).
To me, this looks like a memory leak.
I already tried hotfix KB942435, which seems to relate to a similar, but not
identical error message ("There is not enough memory to complete this
operation.")
Anyone knows another fix for this? Or how can I have this bug fixed?
Thanks
mister.jones

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Jones,

Thank you for posting here.

After conducting a lot of research as well as confirming with the
Development team member, we found that this is a known issue in Windows
Vista which has been filed and are also currently being investigated.

Considering the current status, we can first take the following steps to
see if it is helpful

1. Install the latest Updates
--------------------------------
Please download and install the update KB938979 from the following KB
article:

An update is available that improves the performance and reliability of
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;938979

2. Clean boot the Vista machine
--------------------------------
1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the
Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC)
window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box
and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window
appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System
Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue still
persists, we can try to use the XCOPY command to the issue again:

3. Use the XCOPY command to copy the files
--------------------------------
1. Click Start, type: CMD and then right click on the CMD in the list and
then select Run as Administrator.
2. In the command prompt, please run the following command and then press
Enter to copy the files

XCOPY <source> <destination>

If we are able to copy the files successfully via the XCOPY command, I
suggest we temporarily use this method as a workaround until the real fix
is released. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If anything
is unclear in my post, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Memory leak when copying large numbers of files
| Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:27:06 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| Hello!
| When trying to copy large numbers of files (>500,000), Vista stops after
| ~300,000 and complains:
| "There is not enough free memory."
| The size of the explorer.exe process keeps growing during copying (>500
MB)
| , but there should still be enough RAM (2GB).
| To me, this looks like a memory leak.
| I already tried hotfix KB942435, which seems to relate to a similar, but
not
| identical error message ("There is not enough memory to complete this
| operation.")
| Anyone knows another fix for this? Or how can I have this bug fixed?
| Thanks
| mister.jones

mister.jones

Thanks, Adams Qu, for your thorough answer. I tried your suggestions, but
with little success.
1. Install the latest Updates
KB938979 was already installed.
2. Clean boot the Vista machine
--------------------------------
The problem persists even in safe mode with no services running.
3. Use the XCOPY command to copy the files
--------------------------------
Wow, even XCOPY leads to an out-of-memory error message after a short while.
Scary.

After many painful reboots and recounting of files I have managed to move
the files with Explorer for now. Always when the number of files that have
been copied since the last reboot growth too large, things stop working
correctly: windows don't open, icons break, the registry seems to be
inaccessible etc., in short the system seems to be out of resources. I hope
that this will be fixed soon as I have to move similar amounts of files
regularly.
If you/the developers need more info, please say so.
Best regards
mister.jones

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Jones,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to the all the information given, it appears that the system is
running out of resource when or after copying the files onto the local hard
drive.

Considering the current situation, let's first do a check disk and then
launch the "Reliability and Performance Monitor" program in Vista when the
system is running out of resource

1. Enter the Windows Vista Recovery Environment (WINRE) and then run the
CHKDSK /R to force a disk check.
2. Enter the normal mode, click Start, type: "Reliability and Performance
Monitor" in the Start Search bar.
3. Launch the "Reliability and Performance Monitor" program and then check
the problem again via this tool.

In addition, I have also performed further research. When you need to copy
a large number files again next time, I also suggest we manually increase
the number of system page table entries that are reserved for mapping I/O
buffers to test if it helps.

NOTE: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems
resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use
Registry Editor at your own risk.

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=256986

1. Click Start, type: REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.
2. Open the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management

3. Make the following change
"SystemPages"=dword:ffffffff

4. Exit and reboot the computer.

NOTE: This registry entry defines the number of system page table entries
that are reserved for mapping I/O buffers and other information into the
system address space. Each system page table entry maps one page.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Memory leak when copying large numbers of files
| Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:44:15 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| Thanks, Adams Qu, for your thorough answer. I tried your suggestions, but
| with little success.
|
| > 1. Install the latest Updates
| > --------------------------------
| > Please download and install the update KB938979 from the following KB
| > article:
| KB938979 was already installed.
|
| > 2. Clean boot the Vista machine
| > --------------------------------
| The problem persists even in safe mode with no services running.
|
| > 3. Use the XCOPY command to copy the files
| > --------------------------------
| Wow, even XCOPY leads to an out-of-memory error message after a short
while.
| Scary.
|
| After many painful reboots and recounting of files I have managed to move
| the files with Explorer for now. Always when the number of files that
have
| been copied since the last reboot growth too large, things stop working
| correctly: windows don't open, icons break, the registry seems to be
| inaccessible etc., in short the system seems to be out of resources. I
hope
| that this will be fixed soon as I have to move similar amounts of files
| regularly.
| If you/the developers need more info, please say so.
| Best regards
| mister.jones
|

| > | Hello!
| > | When trying to copy large numbers of files (>500,000), Vista stops
after
| > | ~300,000 and complains:
| > | "There is not enough free memory."
| > | The size of the explorer.exe process keeps growing during copying
(>500
| > MB)
| > | , but there should still be enough RAM (2GB).
| > | To me, this looks like a memory leak.
| > | I already tried hotfix KB942435, which seems to relate to a similar,
but
| > not
| > | identical error message ("There is not enough memory to complete this
| > | operation.")
| > | Anyone knows another fix for this? Or how can I have this bug fixed?
| > | Thanks
| > | mister.jones
| > |
| > |
| > |

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Jones,

How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and
wanted to check on the status of the problem. Please let me know how the
troubleshooting steps turned out.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

> [...]
|
| Have a nice day!
|
| Best regards,
|
| Adams Qu, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
| Microsoft Online Support
|
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Memory leak when copying large numbers of files
| | Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:44:15 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
| |
| | Thanks, Adams Qu, for your thorough answer. I tried your suggestions,
| |
| | > 1. Install the latest Updates
| | > --------------------------------
| | > Please download and install the update KB938979 from the following KB
| | > article:
| | KB938979 was already installed.
| |
| | > 2. Clean boot the Vista machine
| | > --------------------------------
| | The problem persists even in safe mode with no services running.
| |
| | > 3. Use the XCOPY command to copy the files
| | > --------------------------------
| | Wow, even XCOPY leads to an out-of-memory error message after a short
| while.
| | Scary.
| |
| | After many painful reboots and recounting of files I have managed to
move
| | the files with Explorer for now. Always when the number of files that
| have
| | been copied since the last reboot growth too large, things stop working
| | correctly: windows don't open, icons break, the registry seems to be
| | inaccessible etc., in short the system seems to be out of resources. I
| hope
| | that this will be fixed soon as I have to move similar amounts of files
| | regularly.
| | If you/the developers need more info, please say so.
| | Best regards
| | mister.jones
| |
| |