There is not enough memory available to complete this operation.

G

When you try to use the Gallery of Office Assistants
in Options, using MS Office 2003 in MS Vista Home Premium,
you get the message:
"There is not enough memory available to complete this operation".
I have 2 GB of RAM and a 320 GB Hard Drive that is almost empty.
Any one has a suggestion to fix this?
Installing Service Pack 3 did not help.

M

Michael Walraven

Have you turned off Vista's control of page file size? If so turn it back
on.

Right click Computer
left click properties
left click advanced system settings
in the advanced tab, Performance area select Settings
Advanced tab, Virtual memory area select Change
Make sure the Automatically manage pageing file size for all drives is
checked.

Michael

Reaction score
This is a programming bug (not a memory bug) and does not have a fix from Microsoft (for a reason that only Microsoft and God seem to know).

The only way I have found to correct this problem is by correcting it manually. None of the fixes on the Net have worked for me; not using the Microsoft find and fix, not reinstalling, not changing the virtual memory settings and page files--nothing.

The Registry entries must be changed.

REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES TO IT.

In your Office 11 folder, in root directory (or where ever you chose to install it), you must find the name of the assistant you want. I like Office Cat so I'll use it in my example. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\offcat.acs)

Left click the Start Button. In the text field at the bottom of the popup window, type RegEdit and hit the Enter key. In RegEdit, search for "assistant" by pressing F3 (or CTR+F) and entering the search string into the appropriate box.

You may find the first instance under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/INSTALLER/COMPONENTS/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Installer/Components/7FAE92CC2CB71D119A12000A9CE1A22A but it's not a guarantee. The name on your computer has a small chance of being a little different. When you find it you will see a list of assistant files in the registry entry (right box).

"clipit.acs" should be the first one you see.

Double click the name of the assistant that pops up when you activate it in Microsoft Office, and you will see three lines of code, all ending in "Default". Delete that word (and nothing else) from all three lines. Click "Ok."

Now look for the one you want to use--offcat.acs. Double click it and then ADD "Default" (without the quotes) at the end of each of the three lines and press "Ok.

Keep pressing F3, bypassing the name of your assistant until you come to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Common/Assistant

Double click on AsstFile in the right pane and make sure that the Value data says: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OFFCAT.ACS and press "Ok" when it does.

Double click CurrAsstFile and make sure it says the same thing. Click "Ok." If these last two are NOT done, you will continue to get the same assistant you got before.

This will finish the changes needed to have the assistant you want. If you want to change it again, you will have to go through all of this again because it can't fix the memory problem. That should have been Microsoft's job, but they were lying down on that job when it came to fix it.

I said it before, but I will say it one more time right here: ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU MAKE CHANGES TO IT. That way, if you make a mistake, you can start from scratch by restoring the Registry from the Menu.

It fixed my assistant. I hope yours will work now too.

I hope this was clear enough. I'm not used to explaining things in print, just getting in and doing it. My best wishes to all of you!

When you try to use the Gallery of Office Assistants
in Options, using MS Office 2003 in MS Vista Home Premium,
you get the message:
"There is not enough memory available to complete this operation".
I have 2 GB of RAM and a 320 GB Hard Drive that is almost empty.
Any one has a suggestion to fix this?
Installing Service Pack 3 did not help.

Ask a Question