Networking XP and 2000

Andre Da Costa

I'm doing a NIC to NIC networking configuration for my laptop and desktop PC
running Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional respectively.
I have turned on file sharing on both computers, installed the necessary
protocols, but when I try to browse each computer I get an error message.

The dialogue says "network path not found", please contact administrator for
information. I have setup both computers under the same Workgroup name from
the beginning, and the message keeps appearing. I have shared all drives on
the computer running 2000, but the same error.

What could possible be happening? I know they are aware of each other,
sometimes I will see both computers in My Network Places and sometimes I
won't.

Basically I'm unable to browse the computer running XP and I'm unable to
browse the computer running 2000.

Thank you for any help you are able to give

Andre Da Costa
Jamaica W.I.

Kristin Thomas [MSFT]

Andre,

Browsing relies on things like Segment Master Browsers having the whole
browse list. So, what other machines are on this segment of the network?
How long do you give a machine after booting up before attempting to
browse? Are they actually in the same subnet (if not then we get into
things like WINS) If you turn these machines off and one of them is the
master browser you are causing a lack of a browse list to be available.
You would be far better off using mapped drives or just \\machine at the
run line than to spend time troubleshooting browsing.

Best Regards,

Kristin Thomas, MCSE, MCP
Microsoft Enterprise Network Support

from your issue.

| From: "Andre Da Costa" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Networking XP and 2000
| Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:00:12 -1200

| I'm doing a NIC to NIC networking configuration for my laptop and desktop
PC
| running Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional
respectively.
| I have turned on file sharing on both computers, installed the necessary
| protocols, but when I try to browse each computer I get an error message.
|
| The dialogue says "network path not found", please contact administrator
for
| information. I have setup both computers under the same Workgroup name
from
| the beginning, and the message keeps appearing. I have shared all drives
on
| the computer running 2000, but the same error.
|
| What could possible be happening? I know they are aware of each other,
| sometimes I will see both computers in My Network Places and sometimes I
| won't.
|
| Basically I'm unable to browse the computer running XP and I'm unable to
| browse the computer running 2000.
|
| Thank you for any help you are able to give
|
| Andre Da Costa
| Jamaica W.I.

If you are going nic-to-nic are you using a crossover
ethernet cable? If you are using a normal ethernet cable
then you have send connected to send and receive connecten
to receive so they won't here each other.