Need the URL of a free Marine Aquarium 2 Screensaver

Michael Laplante

I was just interested in the ware reference. . . I took Michael's
accusation that Fish Saver 2 is Shareware personally (even though it was
directed at you).

Whoa, hope you don't look sleep over all this. I more flexible in my
interpretation of freeware that JC. I was just "poking him with a stick" to
get a rise out of him.

However, kudos to you both for your efforts above and beyond to help Anon.

Susan Bugher

Whoa, hope you don't look sleep over all this.

Good heavens no - but I did spend a *whale* of a lot of time ;)
yesterday checking ware types and making *follow-up* posts. . . and
that does tend to make me cranky. . .

I more flexible in my
interpretation of freeware that JC. I was just "poking him with a stick" to
get a rise out of him.

Yeah, I could tell that was what you were up to but you accidently
jabbed me too and I reacted. Many sites call anything and everything
"Freeware". My goal for the ACF pages is to have *accurate* descriptions
so people can avoid the ware types they don't want.

I *used* to think that would be a fairly easy goal to achieve. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Joe said:
[...]
I have this in my notes (dunno what date I visited the site):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
[Freeware] Fish Saver 2 'Fish Flow' V1.1A Released 2002 Apr.1
Download fssv211a.zip(2.7Meg)

This entry in 1.6's fs2.ini file is odd for a free program:

[license]
BootCount=2

Joe, I think 1.6 might be shareware. I don't know for sure though,
because it won't run on my system.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

Susan Bugher

Joe said:
[...]
I have this in my notes (dunno what date I visited the site):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
[Freeware] Fish Saver 2 'Fish Flow' V1.1A Released 2002 Apr.1
Download fssv211a.zip(2.7Meg)
This entry in 1.6's fs2.ini file is odd for a free program:

[license]
BootCount=2

I agree it seems an odd place to have "[license]". I increased the
BootCount number to BootCount=1000000 as a test - the app still started.

FWIW the opening scene changes with each increment of the BootCount
number. (You can repeat a scene by lowering the BootCount number by one.)

I had looked at "FishSaver2â}âjâàâAâï.txt" - came away no wiser as to
the ware status.

The file begins with:

<q>
„¡„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„¢
„ X6 Engine „
„ Fish Saver 2 V1.6 „
„ -- Œ¶‘zŠCˆæ -- „
„ Copyright 2001-2005 Marimo Soft „
„ 2005Dec28 „
„¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„£

-----------------------
Fish Saver 2 ‚ɂ‚¢‚Ä
ƒCƒ“ƒXƒg[ƒ‹
Ý’è
—š—ðE–ÆÓ
-----------------------

‚²ˆÓŒ©‚²—v–]‚Í-> mailto: (e-mail address removed)-net.ne.jp
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
http://www.marimosoft.com/

<SNIP>
</q>

If anyone can translate any of the non-English portions please do.

TIA :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

honyakusha

I had looked at "FishSaver2$Bc^cKdbc"dq(B.txt" - came away no wiser as to
the ware status.

I can tell you what it means if you send me the text file. I tried to
download the file under FS2 but I got a 404. FS3 seems to be shareware.

Note that I'm not interested in downloading and installing the screensaver.
My memory is tight on the system I'm using now :)

Here's what the following mean:About Fish Saver 2

$B%$%s%9%H!<%k(B Installation

Settings

$BMzNr!&LH@U(B
Revision History/ License

Cheers,
GR (remove "no-")

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:41:24 -0500

I can tell you what it means if you send me the text file. I tried to
download the file under FS2 but I got a 404. FS3 seems to be shareware.

Note that I'm not interested in downloading and installing the screensaver.
My memory is tight on the system I'm using now :)

Thank you. :)

I uploaded the file to the FTP directory temporarily (you'll be able to
see it on the index page if the link to the file doesn't work properly):

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/FishSaver2%e2%7d%e2j%e2%e0%e2A%e2%ef.txt

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

honyakusha

Susan,
Here are the salient parts (which I felt were important):

Fish Saver 2 V.6 "Virtual Sea" is a 3D screensaver using DirectX9.0C.
Schools of fish like bream, horse mackarel, sardine, and yellow tail swim around.
The size, thickness, length of the schools can be adjusted.

If you right click FishSaver2v1_6.scr in the directory after unzipping the
file, and select "Install" from the menu, the application will be
installed.

To uninstall, delete the FishSaver2v1_6 directory.
Versions after DirectX9.0c should be installed and working properly.
No entries are made in the Registry.

* Freeware
* Copyright held by Marimo Soft/Freetaco
* No responsibility will be borne in case of loss or damage to hardware
or software becuase of installation/running this software.

I suppose that covers it all? Let me know if you have any specific
questions.

Cheers,
Gururaj Rao (from Kisarazu-city, Japan)

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
Susan,
Here are the salient parts (which I felt were important):

Fish Saver 2 V.6 "Virtual Sea" is a 3D screensaver using DirectX9.0C.
Schools of fish like bream, horse mackarel, sardine, and yellow tail swim around.
The size, thickness, length of the schools can be adjusted.

If you right click FishSaver2v1_6.scr in the directory after unzipping the
file, and select "Install" from the menu, the application will be
installed.

To uninstall, delete the FishSaver2v1_6 directory.
Versions after DirectX9.0c should be installed and working properly.
No entries are made in the Registry.

* Freeware
* Copyright held by Marimo Soft/Freetaco
* No responsibility will be borne in case of loss or damage to hardware
or software becuase of installation/running this software.

Not a single one. That's more information than I had hoped for - the
installation instructions are an unexpected bonus. Thank you *very*
much. :) :) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Susan said:
Not a single one. That's more information than I had hoped for - the
installation instructions are an unexpected bonus. Thank you *very*
much. :) :) :)

And it would seem that version 6 (1.6?) is freeware after all. Still
can't get it to run on my system though. Can't even configure the thing
when I right click on it!

Strange that the folder names are all in English, but the help file is
in Japanese.

This makes me wonder if I need to install Microsoft language support for
Japanese to make the saver run.

--

John said:
And it would seem that version 6 (1.6?) is freeware after all. Still
can't get it to run on my system though. Can't even configure the thing
when I right click on it!

Strange that the folder names are all in English, but the help file is
in Japanese.

This makes me wonder if I need to install Microsoft language support for
Japanese to make the saver run.

I appreciate honyakusha going to the trouble to translate, but want to
be able to use Bablefish to do this for Japanese readme files in the
future. So, FWIW, I managed to get Firefox to display the readme file in
Japanese encoded characters. Then I was able to select, copy and paste
the file into the Bablefish website and to translate it. Here's what I
did (this works for XP):

First, I installed support for Japanese characters on my computer by:

1. Go to Control Panel/Regsional and Language Options/Languages tab/
2. Put checkmark by "Install files for East Asian languages"
3. Click "OK"
4. Put the XP install disc in the requested drive. Windows copies the
needed files from it.
5. Reboot.

In my case, Estonian keyboard support got added for some reason. I
simply deleted it from the list and the keyboard selection option icon
then disappeared from my tray.

Next, I started Firefox and opened the "FishSaver2â}âjâàâAâï.txt" file,
which I had unzipped from the fs2v16.zip file:

File/Open File.../ and navigate to the folder where I unzipped the
"FishSaver2â}âjâàâAâï.txt" file. Then I selected it and clicked the
"Open" button.

With the file open in Firefox, I next clicked on:

View/Character Encoding/Japanese (Shift_JIS)

VOILA! Now the file was displayed using Japanese characters. I then did
a "Control-A" and "Control-C", and went to the Bablefish website:

http://world.altavista.com/

Click on the area under "Translate a block of text - Enter up to 150
words" and press "Control-V"

Select "Japanese to English" from the dropdown, and then press the
"Translate" button.

Due to the 150 word limitation, I'm not sure that I got it all
translated, but it looks like it might have done so. At least it
translated enough to include the following:

"Fish Saver 2 is the freeware"

--
[...]

If anybody just needs to know whether a Japanese application is a
freeware or not, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer anytime. I
translate technical documentation between Japanese and English for a
living and dashing off a message after a glance at a readme file would
hardly take me any time. Least I can do for the benefits I have derived
from this group. :)

Gururaj Rao
Kisarazu City , Japan.

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
If anybody just needs to know whether a Japanese application is a
freeware or not, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer anytime. I
translate technical documentation between Japanese and English for a
living and dashing off a message after a glance at a readme file would
hardly take me any time. Least I can do for the benefits I have derived
from this group. :)

Thanks Rao. :) I'll ask *sooner* in the future (instead of struggling
along trying to find answers the hard way). ACF rocks. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

honyakusha said:
If anybody just needs to know whether a Japanese application is a
freeware or not, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer anytime. I
translate technical documentation between Japanese and English for a
living and dashing off a message after a glance at a readme file would
hardly take me any time. Least I can do for the benefits I have derived
from this group. :)

Gururaj Rao
Kisarazu City , Japan.

Gururaj,
After re-reading my message, I can see that it seems to imply that I
didn't totally trust your translation. That wasn't what I meant to say.
Rather, my doing the translation as well should have been further proof
for Michael Leplante that the program is freeware (assuming, of course,
that Michael trusts me too.)

Many thanks for your kind offer to translate, and I, for one, will
indeed keep you in mind.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

Joe Bloggs

This entry in 1.6's fs2.ini file is odd for a free program:

[license]
BootCount=2

I agree it seems an odd place to have "[license]". I increased the
BootCount number to BootCount=1000000 as a test - the app still started.

FWIW the opening scene changes with each increment of the BootCount
number. (You can repeat a scene by lowering the BootCount number by one.)

Confirmed. I also edited the Height and Width enntries from the
default 480,640 to my normal screen resolution of 768,1024 which seems
to have improved the display.

Michael Laplante

This makes me wonder if I need to install Microsoft language support for
Japanese to make the saver run.

Don't think so. Worked for me right out of the box and I don't have Japanese
language support. Of course, the configuration panel is full of gibberish
but once you run it, it updates the ini file. You can then open this in any
text editor to see the various settings in English(!) though the effects of
some are rather cryptic. I wish I knew how to slow the cam down. At times,
I'm like a scuba diver on crack, the way the cam keeps whipping around. . .

honyakusha

,
After re-reading my message, I can see that it seems to imply that I
didn't totally trust your translation. That wasn't what I meant to say.
Rather, my doing the translation as well should have been further proof
for Michael Leplante that the program is freeware (assuming, of course,
that Michael trusts me too.)

No, not at all. I made the offer especially because I use a Japanese OS
(Windows 2000). For most of you (without Japanese OS) installing all the
Japanese fonts might be overkill just to read and translate a Japanese
application that does not come up frequently. Moreover, other than being
a lurker and sucking off all the good information that many of you have
posted and continue to post here, I haven't done much. It'll make me
happy to give back a little to the fine folks here.

Many thanks for your kind offer to translate, and I, for one, will
indeed keep you in mind.

So feel free to post to this list if you need information on a Japanese
application and I'll do my best to assist!

Cheers,
Gururaj Rao

John Corliss

honyakusha said:
No, not at all. I made the offer especially because I use a Japanese OS
(Windows 2000). For most of you (without Japanese OS) installing all the
Japanese fonts might be overkill just to read and translate a Japanese
application that does not come up frequently.

The fonts don't seem to have any effect on my system's speed at least,
but I'd bet that they would on an older system. And of course, a literal
word-for-word translation from Bablefish is alway hard to understand
because different languages also structure their sentences differently
and use different phrases as well.
Moreover, other than being
a lurker and sucking off all the good information that many of you have
posted and continue to post here, I haven't done much. It'll make me
happy to give back a little to the fine folks here.

Not little at all! This is a very nice contribution.
So feel free to post to this list if you need information on a Japanese
application and I'll do my best to assist!

Will do, and thanks again!

--

Michael said:
Don't think so. Worked for me right out of the box and I don't have Japanese
language support. Of course, the configuration panel is full of gibberish
but once you run it, it updates the ini file. You can then open this in any
text editor to see the various settings in English(!) though the effects of
some are rather cryptic. I wish I knew how to slow the cam down. At times,
I'm like a scuba diver on crack, the way the cam keeps whipping around. . .

Michael,
Forgot to mention that I also tried manually changing the
configuration file, but no joy. And you're correct, installing the
Japanese fonts didn't help at all. My guess is that the saver probably
has a problem with my video card's drivers, although my video card is
almost exactly what the author recommends.

I have version 1.2 installed and running nicely and its (totally
English!) configuration window has a dropdown that contains a listing
for "wandering point". You might look for that dropdown and if it's
there, try changing it to something else and you'll "come down" from the
crack. 80)>