Need the URL of a free Marine Aquarium 2 Screensaver

John Corliss

Anonymous said:
This teaches me a lesson: I should NEVER give my attention to another
project while I'm typing my email address on this newgroup. This whole
thing is ALL MY FAULT.

The CORRECT email address is director<at>swissinfo<dot>ORG

Not .com like I had written before. I'm such a dunce.

I'll give it another try.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

John Corliss

Anonymous said:
Hi Susan,

I downloaded the file and activated it. It switched my monitor from
1024x768 to 800x600 and displayed a error box that was written in Japanese.

Thanks anyway! I appreciate your help!

It did the same thing on my system, that's why I didn't recommend it.
And that's just about the only version you can download from the
internet these days.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

John Corliss

Susan said:
Evidently something in your OS/computer set-up is causing the problem
you had. . .

I downloaded v 1.6 and gave it a *quick* trial. No-install (unlike v
1.5) - I ran FishSaver2v1_6.scr after unzipping and it worked fine. I
didn't check out the various .ini files. . .

Strange. I wonder if it has anything to do with installed codecs. What
codec pack (if any) are you using, Susan?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

Susan Bugher

Strange. I wonder if it has anything to do with installed codecs. What
codec pack (if any) are you using, Susan?

None.

FWIW *my* machine did weird things when I installed this version of Sim
Aquarium:

http://iquest.themes.tucows.com/filesthemes/SimAQUARIUM-Tank4-FreeTank-v2.3.exe
5395 KB

I made a couple of notes: worked the first day, then didn't with
message to change screen resolution. . . after experimentation
discovered it works with 16 bit color - does not work with 32 bit color
setting.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
FWIW *my* machine did weird things when I installed this version of Sim
Aquarium:

http://iquest.themes.tucows.com/filesthemes/SimAQUARIUM-Tank4-FreeTank-v2.3.exe

5395 KB

I made a couple of notes: worked the first day, then didn't with
message to change screen resolution. . . after experimentation
discovered it works with 16 bit color - does not work with 32 bit color
setting.

but. . . ATM the setting is 32 bit color and Sim Aquarium worked just
now when I tried it. . . Qien Sabe. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

JoeA

I downloaded v 1.6 and gave it a *quick* trial. No-install (unlike v
1.5) - I ran FishSaver2v1_6.scr after unzipping and it worked fine. I
didn't check out the various .ini files. . .

Susan
It worked on my XP box...I had to unzip it twice and leave the .scr file
in its folder. If I just copied the .scr file seperately it would not work.

Anonymous

Thanks John, and Susan, and everyone else! I appreciate everything you
all have done!

Michael Laplante

Michael Laplante

Okay, through foreign sites I tracked down the website for the original
file. It appears it's shareware according to this translated page at:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...?q=screensaver+%22fish+flow%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

So it contravenes to John's strict interpretation of freeware and I fully
expect him to remove it from his system and cease to mention it in this
group ever again. :)

This looks like an interesting ss. Too bad there's no translation of the
various configuration setting. :(

Susan Bugher

Michael said:
Now that's weird. My version of this file is only about 2.3 megs. This must
be bundled with some of the pay versions. I'm guessing that once you
register, it will unlock some of the other tanks.

My file only includes the free tank AFAIK -- hence, the small size.

Yup - recent versions are bundled. :( I posted this last November:

<q>
It appears there is still a free version (bundled nagware). The info
here looks current:

http://www.3dreef.com/simaquarium_download.htm

Download SimAQUARIUM Tank-4 and Free tank!
v2.311
File size: 5.4 Mb

http://simaquarium.com/SA23W/SimAQUARIUM-Tank4-FreeTank-v2.311.exe

also note. . .

v 2.3 is available from Tucows
http://www.tucows.com/preview/357212
</q>

http://www.3dreef.com/simaquarium_download.htm
now at SimAQUARIUM v2.33

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Michael said:
Okay, through foreign sites I tracked down the website for the original
file. It appears it's shareware according to this translated page at:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...?q=screensaver+%22fish+flow%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

So it contravenes to John's strict interpretation of freeware and I fully
expect him to remove it from his system and cease to mention it in this
group ever again. :)

That's referring to Fish Saver 3 - not to be confused with Fish Saver 2
or the other Fish Saver 2 by (IIRC) "FLO". . . ;)

I have this in my notes (dunno what date I visited the site):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
[Freeware] Fish Saver 2 'Fish Flow' V1.1A Released 2002 Apr.1
Download fssv211a.zip(2.7Meg)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
Michael said:
Okay, through foreign sites I tracked down the website for the
original file. It appears it's shareware according to this translated
page at:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...?q=screensaver+%22fish+flow%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

So it contravenes to John's strict interpretation of freeware and I
fully expect him to remove it from his system and cease to mention it
in this group ever again. :)

That's referring to Fish Saver 3 - not to be confused with Fish Saver 2
or the other Fish Saver 2 by (IIRC) "FLO". . . ;)

I have this in my notes (dunno what date I visited the site):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
[Freeware] Fish Saver 2 'Fish Flow' V1.1A Released 2002 Apr.1
Download fssv211a.zip(2.7Meg)

Found this page just now. . .

<http://translate.google.com/transla...+Saver+2%22&num=100&hl=en&lr=&sa=G&as_qdr=all>

< Software classification > Free software
< Version > 1.4 (04/01/04)

--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

JoeA

Susan said:
Michael said:
Okay, through foreign sites I tracked down the website for the
original file. It appears it's shareware according to this translated
page at:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...?q=screensaver+%22fish+flow%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

So it contravenes to John's strict interpretation of freeware and I
fully expect him to remove it from his system and cease to mention it
in this group ever again. :)

That's referring to Fish Saver 3 - not to be confused with Fish Saver 2
or the other Fish Saver 2 by (IIRC) "FLO". . . ;)

I have this in my notes (dunno what date I visited the site):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014554/
[Freeware] Fish Saver 2 'Fish Flow' V1.1A Released 2002 Apr.1
Download fssv211a.zip(2.7Meg)

Susan try here
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/9244/soft/fssv211a.zip

John Corliss

Susan said:
but. . . ATM the setting is 32 bit color and Sim Aquarium worked just
now when I tried it. . . Qien Sabe. . .

Hmm. Now this makes more sense to me. I'm running 32 bit color out of a
GeForce4 with 128 mb of onboard ram. If it's not the color setting that
prvents me from running the Fishsaver2 ver. 1.6, then it may be some
other conflict with my NVidia driver.

Oh well, I have ver. 1.2 installed and it runs nicely. It's a real work
of art and is in fact, my favorite screen saver of all. I like it even
better than the Skyrocket saver:

http://www.reallyslick.com/

Very peaceful to watch those fish swimming around and all getting along.

--

Michael said:
Okay, through foreign sites I tracked down the website for the original
file. It appears it's shareware according to this translated page at:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h...?q=screensaver+%22fish+flow%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

So it contravenes to John's strict interpretation of freeware and I fully
expect him to remove it from his system and cease to mention it in this
group ever again. :)

The copy I have on my system (ver. 1.2) was freeware when it came out,
so I will not be removing it. Since you quoted my original statement,
you might want to notice that I specifically recommended version 1.2,
*NOT* 1.6.
This looks like an interesting ss. Too bad there's no translation of the
various configuration setting. :(

If you have Japanese fonts and language capability installed in IE or
Windows, couldn't you copy and paste the settings text into Bablefish?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

John Corliss

Susan said:
Susan said:
Michael said:
John Corliss wrote:

I really like Marimo Software's Fishsaver2 v.1.2. However, the
download link at the (Japanese) website:

[...]

I also have this version and have tried it, but it doesn't work as good
as 1.2. The fish tend to run through each other as if they're all
ghosts. This happens occasionally in 1.2 as well, but only rarely and
the longer it runs, the less it happens. 1.4 is still a good one though.

--

JoeA said:
Susan said:
Michael said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

[...]

This download is an older version of the one I run (only difference is
that mine has flooded "Tokio" skyscrapers in it) but it still works
nicely on my system. I scanned the download for viruses, and it's clean.
If the OP ("Anonymous") didn't get my email with attachment, then this
download is a good choice.

Not only that, but, for Michael Leplante's edification, here's a direct
cut and paste from the readme file that comes in the download:

"Fish Saver 2 is Freeware , Copyrights is held by Marimo Software."

Thanks for doing the research and posting it, Joe!

--

Anonymous said:
Thanks John, and Susan, and everyone else! I appreciate everything you
all have done!

Did you get my email with the attached file? If not, see the message
from JoeA above. In it, he gives the following link for a download:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/9244/soft/fssv211a.zip

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

Susan Bugher

It worked on my XP box...I had to unzip it twice and leave the .scr file
in its folder. If I just copied the .scr file seperately it would not
work.

Nice to know it works on more than one machine. ;) v 1.6 does seem to
be a bit of a strange beast. I'm probably just displaying my own
ignorance but. . . I don't see how it can be set up as a Windows
screensaver - despite the .scr extension.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

John said:
Susan said:
Susan said:
Michael Laplante wrote:
John Corliss wrote:
[...]

I was just interested in the ware reference. . . I took Michael's
accusation that Fish Saver 2 is Shareware personally (even though it was
directed at you).

I have Fish Saver 2 listed as Freeware on the ACF program info pages -
AFAICT all versions of Fish Saver 2 by Marimo Soft are Freeware.

FWIW finding the *real* ware type for apps that are listed on the ACF
program info pages is *damned* time consuming. Googling Japanese web
pages for freeware references was a special challenge (since I don't
know any Japanese). When *misinformation* about ware types is posted in
ACF it makes me cranky. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware