Windows 7 My screen display appears smudged and fuzzy?

Reaction score
I recently accidentally unplugged the VGA cable from it's port, and consequently followed by accidentally unplugging the power cord, resulting to an abrupt shut down. Panic stricken, I switched my potato of a computer on, only to find it frozen, unable to go further to the booting process, rendering me having to switch the restart button a couple of times on hopes of a successful boot up. While the reboot process took unusually longer for apparent reasons, the attempt succeeded, only to greet my eyes in an unwelcoming display of the graphics having deteriorated in quality; a noticeable and unsettling smudge in the texts and icons making it slightly difficult to read. And a minor, however slightly visible lost of sharpness and the colors failing to meet the standards.

Other than the display and the boot-up process, there doesn't seem to be anything else that this dilemma provoked. Tinkering with the display properties does not seem to make even the most subtle change to restore it to it's previous quality.

It is very frustrating, and before taking any step further, I am desperate to know what might be the actual or other possible causes and the technical details behind it. And if re-installing the graphics card driver (NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT) would fix it, or if it's on the graphics card.

My current resolution is 1680 x 1050 (HP w2007)

I unfortunately have a superficial knowledge of computers, but I would grant any detail that is asked.

Any suggestions and help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couple of questions to begin with

1. Have you inserted the monitor lead properly back into the computer and checked the rear of the monitor aswell?

2. Have you checked for broken pins inside both ends of the lead?

3. Have you tried another monitor?

Reaction score
Couple of questions to begin with

1. Have you inserted the monitor lead properly back into the computer and checked the rear of the monitor aswell?

2. Have you checked for broken pins inside both ends of the lead?

3. Have you tried another monitor?

1. Yes I have. A couple times.

2. I haven't, though I suspected that there wasn't any (I will have it checked after I post this reply). But if such is the case, will a replacement fix it?

3. And unfortunately I haven't. (The option may not be available) :(

Thank you for your reply :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
one small detail, what make model monitor? :)

With that information ask mr Google how to reset the monitor.

:user:

Reaction score
A Corrupted driver or maybe a bad refresh rate can also cause this.
Set the resolution to the monitors optimum rate also

Try doing a clean install of your drivers and make sure the refresh rate is set correctly for the monitor

Ask a Question