Monitor screen appears smudged

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by Jackson, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
    display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
    screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
    paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
    and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.

    If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
    pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
    with the display property settings does not cure the
    problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
    modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
    it's just the display that has a problem

    Does this sound like something may be overheating and
    causing a problem.

    I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.

    I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
    with no problems up to this point).
    Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
    analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
    box).
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    Display settings: 1024 x 768

    I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    some time after a boot or reboot.

    If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
    cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
    things like that?

    I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
    cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
    appreciated.

    I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
    the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
    what's going on?

    FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
    and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
    little cold and I guess that is another vote for
    overheating.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    Jackson, Nov 25, 2009

  2. Jackson

    LVTravel Guest

    "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
    > display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
    > screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
    > paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
    > and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
    >
    > If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
    > pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
    > with the display property settings does not cure the
    > problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
    > modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
    > it's just the display that has a problem
    >
    > Does this sound like something may be overheating and
    > causing a problem.
    >
    > I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
    >
    > I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
    > with no problems up to this point).
    > Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
    > analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
    > box).
    > Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    > Display settings: 1024 x 768
    >
    > I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    > monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    > some time after a boot or reboot.
    >
    > If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
    > cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
    > things like that?
    >
    > I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
    > cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
    > the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
    > what's going on?
    >
    > FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
    > and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
    > little cold and I guess that is another vote for
    > overheating.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
    display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
    The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
    X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
    the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
    causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
    number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
    will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.

    One other thing you should try is to ensure that there is no power supply
    brick or speaker near the LCD monitor. While this isn't as much of an issue
    with LCD displays as it was with the older CRT displays, why take the
    chance.

    Post back.

    LVTravel, Nov 25, 2009

  3. Jackson wrote:

    > I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    > monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    > some time after a boot or reboot.

    I wouldn't want to make that assumption. The monitor's performance may
    be degrading over time as it warms up. Try a different monitor, and
    then you'll know, one way or another.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:

    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 25, 2009
  4. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:21:21 -0500, "LVTravel"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text.

    /../
    >> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    >> Display settings: 1024 x 768

    /../

    >1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
    >display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
    >The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
    >X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
    >the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
    >causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
    >number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
    >will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.

    The monitor is the 20-inch E207WFP. The info that came with
    it lists the optimum resolution at 1680 X 1050. I reduced
    the size because it is more comfortable to my eyes this way.

    >One other thing you should try is to ensure that there is no power supply
    >brick or speaker near the LCD monitor. While this isn't as much of an issue
    >with LCD displays as it was with the older CRT displays, why take the
    >chance.
    >
    >Post back.

    The monitor sits atop a surge box and has speakers on both
    sides. I have moved the speakers farther away, but it will
    be a big deal to move the surge box. So far today the
    display is normal and it has been running ten hours. It is
    72° in the room, usually it is a little warmer. I'll hold
    off moving the surge protector box unless the display starts
    going fuzzy again.

    When I have a couple of hours I intend to open the computer
    case and clean out the dust. I suspect it has collected
    quite a load in three years. There is always dust on the
    shelves and stuff, so this is not a pristine atmosphere.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    Jackson, Nov 25, 2009
  5. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:37:46 -0700, Bruce Chambers
    <3t> wrote:

    >Jackson wrote:
    >>

    >> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    >> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    >> some time after a boot or reboot.
    >>

    > I wouldn't want to make that assumption. The monitor's performance may
    >be degrading over time as it warms up. Try a different monitor, and
    >then you'll know, one way or another.

    That's a great idea. I'll have to borry a monitor
    somewhere,or maybe I can hook up to my laptop. Today the
    computer has been running over ten hours and the display
    remains perfect. We shall see.

    Thanks again.

    Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    Jackson, Nov 25, 2009
  6. On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:31:49 -0600, Jackson <>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:21:21 -0500, "LVTravel"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > >> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text.

    > /../
    > >> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    > >> Display settings: 1024 x 768
    > >>

    > /../
    >

    > >1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
    > >display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
    > >The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
    > >X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
    > >the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
    > >causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
    > >number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
    > >will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.
    > >

    > The monitor is the 20-inch E207WFP. The info that came with
    > it lists the optimum resolution at 1680 X 1050. I reduced
    > the size because it is more comfortable to my eyes this way.

    Three points:

    1. You have a wide-screen monitor, but you are not running at a
    wide-screen resolution. 1024 x 768 is the wrong aspect ratio, and that
    means that all graphics images will be distorted.

    2. I assume that yours is an LCD monitor. It's very important to run
    LCD monitors at their recommended resolution, since everything will be
    fuzzy if you don't.

    3. You've reduced the resolution to make things bigger and easier on
    your eyes, and that's understandable. But you should have left the
    resolution at 1680x1050, and instead increased the sizes of the fonts
    where necessary.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Nov 25, 2009
  7. Jackson

    Hot-text Guest

    Jackson
    #1 MS [MVP] is right
    #2 Bruce is 1/2 right
    Who say: Try a different monitor, and then you'll know, one way or another.
    # 3 you need the CD that came with that different Monitor:; to get the right
    Drives for that Monitor so it can work rightly ::
    so you can see the right Resolutions and Color on that Monitor
    You can get the drive form the Manufacturer website.
    #4 Your Dell dimension C521 did it come with XP from the Manufacturer or
    you format the Hard Drive your self and put XP on it.
    if you Did go here
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_c521?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh
    If not go look you need to see

    And Chick on Support ---- you see ((( Drivers & Downloads ))))
    Yours
    Hot-Text
    P.S.
    I'll be there too I need some Drivers & Downloads for a Dell Dimension XPS
    T___ I working I putting a Windows 98 in

    Hot-text, Nov 25, 2009
  8. Jackson

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "LVTravel" <> wrote in message

    > "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
    >> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
    >> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
    >> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
    >> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
    >>
    >> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
    >> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
    >> with the display property settings does not cure the
    >> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
    >> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
    >> it's just the display that has a problem
    >>
    >> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
    >> causing a problem.
    >>
    >> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
    >>
    >> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
    >> with no problems up to this point).
    >> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
    >> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
    >> box).
    >> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    >> Display settings: 1024 x 768
    >>
    >> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    >> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    >> some time after a boot or reboot.
    >>
    >> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
    >> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
    >> things like that?
    >>
    >> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
    >> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
    >> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
    >> what's going on?
    >>
    >> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
    >> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
    >> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
    >> overheating.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    > 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
    > the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
    > monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
    > 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
    > 1050.

    The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format screen
    is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is 1280x768, but
    that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display 1920x1080 should be
    available and this is the native format of most decent 20 inch widescreen
    monitors.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 26, 2009
  9. Jackson

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
    > display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
    > screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
    > paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
    > and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
    >
    > If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
    > pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
    > with the display property settings does not cure the
    > problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
    > modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
    > it's just the display that has a problem
    >
    > Does this sound like something may be overheating and
    > causing a problem.
    >
    > I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
    >
    > I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
    > with no problems up to this point).
    > Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
    > analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
    > box).
    > Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    > Display settings: 1024 x 768
    >
    > I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    > monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    > some time after a boot or reboot.
    >
    > If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
    > cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
    > things like that?
    >
    > I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
    > cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
    > the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
    > what's going on?
    >
    > FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
    > and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
    > little cold and I guess that is another vote for
    > overheating.

    To be honest, it does sound like a problem with the monitor. Can you try it
    on another PC? As someone else has noted 1024x768 cannot be the native mode
    for the monitor (you didn't tell us what it is).

    Fitting an alternate graphic card does not seem to be an option because the
    motherboard used in that machine seems to have a very limited expansion
    potential having a one PCI slot and a one single lane PC-express port. You
    just ain't going to find a decent graphic card that fits in either of those.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 26, 2009
  10. Jackson

    LVTravel Guest

    "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "LVTravel" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >>> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
    >>> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
    >>> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
    >>> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
    >>> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
    >>>
    >>> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
    >>> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
    >>> with the display property settings does not cure the
    >>> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
    >>> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
    >>> it's just the display that has a problem
    >>>
    >>> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
    >>> causing a problem.
    >>>
    >>> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
    >>>
    >>> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
    >>> with no problems up to this point).
    >>> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
    >>> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
    >>> box).
    >>> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
    >>> Display settings: 1024 x 768
    >>>
    >>> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
    >>> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
    >>> some time after a boot or reboot.
    >>>
    >>> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
    >>> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
    >>> things like that?
    >>>
    >>> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
    >>> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
    >>> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
    >>> what's going on?
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
    >>> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
    >>> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
    >>> overheating.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

    >> 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
    >> the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
    >> monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
    >> 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
    >> 1050.

    > The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format
    > screen is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is
    > 1280x768, but that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display
    > 1920x1080 should be available and this is the native format of most decent
    > 20 inch widescreen monitors.

    Amazingly my Gateway machine is set by the manufacturer at 1680 X 1050 (the
    same as what the OP said his was originally set for) and it is a 22" wide
    screen. The resolutions I specified in my post are the resolutions this
    nVidia display adapter will produce. He has a nVidia GeForce 6150 LE model
    adapter and my adapter is nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. While not the
    most powerful graphic adapter on the market it works fine with this
    widescreen monitor I have. Going to Dell's web site for the monitor the
    OP describes they specify a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E207WFP/en/ug/internet.htm

    LVTravel, Nov 27, 2009
  11. Jackson

    bayskater Guest

    > "LVTravel" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
    >> the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
    >> monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
    >> 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
    >> 1050.

    > The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format
    > screen is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is
    > 1280x768, but that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display
    > 1920x1080 should be available and this is the native format of most decent
    > 20 inch widescreen monitors.

    Excuse me for butting in here. I recently bought a Samsung Model 2033SW 20"
    wide screen monitor.The display looked strange, stretched horizontally. I
    looked in the Control Panel /Display and found it set for 1024x768. Reading
    this thread, it seemed like 1024x768 was not the best resolution for my
    monitor. I called Samsung support and asked the "tech" what the proper
    resolution was. She said you'll have to try the various resolutions offered
    and use the one that suits you best. The ones shown earlier in this thread
    were not available (960X720, 1280X 768, 1400X900, and 1680X1050,1400X900)
    The only resolutions available were,800X600,1024X768,1152X864, and 1600X900,
    so I tried 1152X864 and it seemed pretty good so I kept it, but I still was
    left with the feeling that there is a "native format" and don't understand
    why SamSung support apparently didn't know what it was. My display is "Plug
    and Play Monitor on ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series". My computer is emachines
    T6520 computer with Windows XP Media Center edition -Service Pack 3.
    Although I throw these technical terms around, I really don't understand
    this Screen resolution business. Hoping someone who does will suggest any
    changes or confirm that 1152X 864 is probably the best I can do. I'll read
    up on whatever I can find to help me understand it when I get a chance, but
    meantime I'd appreciate a tip that I can use now and study later.

    Thanks, ... Fred

    bayskater, Nov 27, 2009
  12. Native resolution is 1600x900

    I can not understand why people do not use internet search! It took me about
    6 seconds to find this.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...KFV/ZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 27, 2009
  13. Jackson

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "LVTravel" <> wrote in message

    > "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "LVTravel" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
    >>> the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
    >>> monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
    >>> 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
    >>> 1050.

    >> The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format
    >> screen is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is
    >> 1280x768, but that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display
    >> 1920x1080 should be available and this is the native format of most
    >> decent 20 inch widescreen monitors.
    >>

    > Amazingly my Gateway machine is set by the manufacturer at 1680 X 1050
    > (the same as what the OP said his was originally set for) and it is a 22"
    > wide screen. The resolutions I specified in my post are the resolutions
    > this nVidia display adapter will produce. He has a nVidia GeForce 6150 LE
    > model adapter and my adapter is nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. While
    > not the most powerful graphic adapter on the market it works fine with
    > this widescreen monitor I have. Going to Dell's web site for the
    > monitor the OP describes they specify a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E207WFP/en/ug/internet.htm

    So it's not a true widescreen monitor then (at 16:10) but one of those
    compromises that we often see on laptops that claim to be widescreen.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 27, 2009
  14. Jackson

    bayskater Guest

    Thanks.
    I had tried to find the optimum resolution in the manual on the CD that came
    with the monitor without success, then used the support phone number on the
    CD offered for any questions. I can not understand why the support person
    did not use internet search. I had searched and found the website you
    supplied just after posting my question.
    Now, properly chastened, I searched on "native resolution" and have a
    better idea of the terminology and necessity of setting the display to its
    native value.
    I use Google search constantly, and don't know why I didn't do it sooner
    this time. My bad. My apologies for wasting your time.

    Fred

    bayskater, Nov 27, 2009
  15. Jackson

    > "LVTravel" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "M.I.5¾" <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "LVTravel" <> wrote in message

    >>> The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format
    >>> screen is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is
    >>> 1280x768, but that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display
    >>> 1920x1080 should be available and this is the native format of most
    >>> decent 20 inch widescreen monitors.
    >>>

    >> Amazingly my Gateway machine is set by the manufacturer at 1680 X 1050
    >> (the same as what the OP said his was originally set for) and it is a 22"
    >> wide screen. The resolutions I specified in my post are the resolutions
    >> this nVidia display adapter will produce. He has a nVidia GeForce 6150
    >> LE model adapter and my adapter is nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.
    >> While not the most powerful graphic adapter on the market it works fine
    >> with this widescreen monitor I have. Going to Dell's web site for the
    >> monitor the OP describes they specify a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.
    >>
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E207WFP/en/ug/internet.htm

    > So it's not a true widescreen monitor then (at 16:10) but one of those
    > compromises that we often see on laptops that claim to be widescreen.

    Compromise or not you appear to be getting much too technical for most that
    purchase "widescreen" displays. As the "non-authoritative" Wikipedia
    claims:

    "Widescreen" can also refer to computer displays, which can be used to view
    widescreen movies, among other things. Widescreen computer displays are
    typically of the 1.6 (8:5, typically written as 16:10) aspect ratio. "True"
    widescreen (16:9) monitors can be found in resolutions of 1024x576,
    1280x720, 1600x900, and 1920x1080.

    There are both advantages and disadvantages to widescreen computer
    displays.(http://www.newegg.com/product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=54)
    However, in recent years many manufacturers have practically abandoned the
    traditional 4:3 format, instead opting to manufacture 16:10 models, and
    lately, even shorter 16:9 displays. (Note replaced with URL reference.)

    So, according to the information quoted, generally all monitors that are
    "wider" than a 4:3 display can be and are often called "widescreen" so the
    16:10 display I have on this desktop and the one that the OP has on his
    computer are also called widescreen displays. I also have a 19" 16:9
    widescreen display that I use once in a while on a different computer and
    have to, because of the resolutions that the video card will produce on that
    computer, run it at a non-ideal resolution of 16:10. Refer to the note
    above where it says "opting to manufacture 16:10". Well, apparently the
    video card maker (nVidia in that older machine also) doesn't believe in 16:9
    resolution as there are none offered near where the 19" monitor's default
    resolution is located.

    LVTravel, Nov 27, 2009
  16. On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:18:27 -0500, "bayskater"
    <> wrote:

    > Excuse me for butting in here.

    You're not butting in. There are no private conversations here, and
    everyone is always welcome to join in.

    > I recently bought a Samsung Model 2033SW 20"
    > wide screen monitor.The display looked strange, stretched horizontally. I
    > looked in the Control Panel /Display and found it set for 1024x768. Reading
    > this thread, it seemed like 1024x768 was not the best resolution for my
    > monitor.

    That's correct. It's a poor choice, for two reasons:

    1. It's an LCD monitor. It's very important to run LCD monitors at
    their native resolution, since everything will be
    fuzzy if you don't.

    2. 1024x768 is the wrong aspect ratio for a widescreen monitor, and
    everything will be distorted at that aspect ration (for example,
    circles will look like ovals instead of circles). That aspect ratio is
    1.3333.... (1024 / 768) and widescreen monitors should have a 1.6
    aspect ratio.

    > I called Samsung support and asked the "tech" what the proper
    > resolution was. She said you'll have to try the various resolutions offered
    > and use the one that suits you best.

    That's correct for CRT monitors. It is *not* correct for LCD monitors.
    See both points above.

    > The ones shown earlier in this thread
    > were not available (960X720, 1280X 768, 1400X900, and 1680X1050,1400X900)
    > The only resolutions available were,800X600,1024X768,1152X864, and 1600X900,
    > so I tried 1152X864 and it seemed pretty good so I kept it, but I still was

    It is not "pretty good." Both points I made above apply here: it has
    the same incorrect aspect ratio as does as does 1024x768 (1.333...),
    and will cause fuzziness.

    > left with the feeling that there is a "native format"

    Yes. See point number 1 above.

    > and don't understand
    > why SamSung support apparently didn't know what it was.

    You're talking, not about "Samsung support," but about an *individual*
    who works for Samsung support. Like all individuals, some in any
    company know more than others in that company.

    > My display is "Plug
    > and Play Monitor on ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series". My computer is emachines
    > T6520 computer with Windows XP Media Center edition -Service Pack 3.
    > Although I throw these technical terms around, I really don't understand
    > this Screen resolution business. Hoping someone who does will suggest any
    > changes or confirm that 1152X 864 is probably the best I can do. I'll read
    > up on whatever I can find to help me understand it when I get a chance, but
    > meantime I'd appreciate a tip that I can use now and study later.

    See Richard Urban's reply, and do what he says: run at the native
    resolution of your monitor: 1600 x900.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Nov 27, 2009
  17. Jackson

    bayskater Guest

    Many thanks, Ken.

    Fred

    bayskater, Nov 27, 2009
  18. On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:42:47 -0500, "bayskater"
    <> wrote:

    > Many thanks, Ken.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Ken Blake, MVP, Nov 27, 2009