Display property problems and slow machine

Reaction score
Why is this happening to me! J

I use a gnr 19” monitor as an extended worktop for my Toshiba Tecra wide screen laptop

The Monitor (Right screen secondary monitor) is best viewed at 1280 x 1024 resolution while the laptop (Left screen primary) is 1680 x 1050

EVERY time I restart the computer the set up is changed to Monitor as LEFT screen primary on 1280 x 800 and the Laptop as RIGHT screen secondary at 1280 x 1024.

I have tried to change it several times to no avail and my so called IT help line (thetechguys.com) are hopeless. They fixed it several months ago but it has returned and neither they nor I can recall how they fixed it last time. In fact their service has deteriorated to the point that I feel I know more than the guys who answer the phone so will not be renewing with them. PC World isn’t it so I guess that says it all.

I have to left click the screen EVERY TIME I reboot, Change the Graphics option to to extended worktop and click Output to; extended worktop; Notebook and monitor from monitor and worktop. Then left click the a screen again and click Properties; setting; and adjust the Notebook slider to 1680 x 1050.

Surely there is a way of setting this as the default setting.

If I am away from my main location and just using the Laptop (Notebook) it sometimes even will not show the screen at boot up as it thinks there is a monitor attached as the sole screen. GREAT FUN. Not!

Also having reset everything the Display properties screen will not close but gradually deteriorates in little chunks sometimes taking up to half an hour to disappear altogether. THIS MAY BE CONNECTED TO ANOTHER PROBLEM (below). Or worse could it be a virus? This only happens when adjusting setting, at all other times it closes normally and immediately.

I use Stop Zilla and Advanced System Care to monitor and cleanse Viruses and I defrag my disc weekly but still the computer does seem to take an age to boot up and can take an age even to open Microsoft documents. The disc is cleaned Monthly and temporary internet files etc. are regularly deleted.

The computer has T7700 150GB hard drive with 40GB free, running at 2.4GHz with a 2MB RAM. I run MS XP version 2002 Service pack 3 and auto matically update.

Sometimes also MS Office documents close without reason and even the computer will shut down within the first half an hour of booting up for the first time in a day, although this is quite rare but worrying. It then asks to send error messages to MS due to "system" error or incorrect closure sequence. I am pretty sure these are genuine MS requests.

Sorry to go on (max info etc) and include two apparent problems in one message but I think they may be connected.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You make no mention of ANTI VIRUS or FIREWALL software so I would guess that you have a host of nasties on your pc.

Personally I woulod not waste any time on trying to find and fix the problem.

I would save all your folders and files that you need to an external source.

Then I would do a fresh install of XP and programs.

I would use Windows Defender as it is free and quite good.

I would get Kaspersky (commercial) or AVAST (free) anti virus.

I would get a FIREWALL, say COMODO (free) can't recomend any other as I use MacAfee and if I recomend that I'll get shot down in flames, though it has been trouble free for me for 4 years.

I would use SpyBot Search and Destroy (Free) anti spyware.

Then I would use my pc confident that it was reasonably secure and safe.

Off course all of the above is a fantasy as I only use Windows for playing games. I use GNU/Linux the Mandriva 2009 version for all important stuff.

:D

Reaction score
BTsucks said:
Why is this happening to me! J

I use Stop Zilla and Advanced System Care to monitor and cleanse Viruses and I defrag my disc weekly but still the computer does seem to take an age to boot up and can take an age even to open Microsoft documents. The disc is cleaned Monthly and temporary internet files etc. are regularly deleted.

In addition I use the Windows firewall.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"A dvanced SystemCare was formerly known as formerly Advanced WindowsCare Personal. It provides set of system utilities for Windows, such as Spyware Scan and Removal, Registry Fix, StartUp Manager, Junk Files Clean and Privacy Sweep.

The program offer diagnostics too with a system log (similar to HijackThis log), defrag, backup, immunization from bad ActiveX components and tracking cookies."

Well that ain't an anti virus program.
user.gif

"STOPzilla successfully scans, removes and blocks Spyware, Adware, Pop-up ads, Phishing attacks, hijackers, rootkits, Trojans, bots, drive-by downloads, rogue programs, messenger service ads, keyloggers, malicious BHOs, dialers, and much more.

Comprehensive Online Security...
Our commitment to excellence has resulted in numerous awards and recognition from a wide variety of publications and software testing organizations around the world. STOPzilla's technology has protected users from Spyware / Adware in over 60 countries and has been downloaded by more than 15 million users, worldwide."

Nope that ain't an anti virus program either.
user.gif

An you never mentioned Windows Firewall before. ;)

Good luck with the hunt for the solution.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BTsucks said:
Why is this happening to me! :)

Because in a former life you were Attilla The Hun and the powers that be are giving you your come uppance :thumb:

Makes perfect sense.

Ok, that was a flippant, useless and totally uncalled for reply and as a moderator I should know better and I should lead by example and therefore fear this will give fellow forum members carte blanche to infest serious threads with totally useless information in a misguided attempt to be humorous but right at this moment I am feeling mischievous so I don't really care :p

Phew.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BTsucks said:
OK I get the message. I won't bother you guys anymore.

Hey, I was just being light-hearted.

Ignore me and accept my apologies.

Carry on and I hope you find a solution.

'Flops walks off muttering to himself that obviously not everybody on this planet laughs the same way as he does...'

Lets get all serious like a big American Bald Eagle, as seen in The Muppets with Waldorf & Statler.

Seriously, don't let me put you off.

Ask a Question