Most useful freeware

Morten Skarstad

Craig skrev:
Security
Clamwin AntiVirus

What? If you're installing an AV, why not go for one that does real time
scanning? Or do the available ones fall outside your definition of
"freeware"?

Craig

Morten said:
Craig skrev:

What? If you're installing an AV, why not go for one that does real time
scanning? Or do the available ones fall outside your definition of
"freeware"?

Good question.

I can wait for "real-time scanning."

In the meantime, I'm supporting and using an effective AV that is open
source. ClamAV /will/ do "real-time scanning" in the future. In the
meantime, ClamAV offers:
* High detection rates for viruses and spyware;
* Scanning Scheduler;
* Automatic downloads of Virus Database updates.
* Standalone Virus Scanner;
* Right-Click Menu Integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
* Microsoft Outlook addin removes virus attachments automatically.

ClamAV's reaction times to new threats are as good as the competition:

ClamAV is winning against the competition in commercial settings:
http://www.linuxpipeline.com/166400446

I like supporting open source projects. Some are problematic (eg
OpenOffice.org or Nvu) but others have a lot of momentum, are fun and
effective (ie Linux, Scribus). What's important to me, when I choose a
product, is not just whether it's a free beer. If I have a choice
between two s/w packages that do more or less the same job, I will pick
the one that explicitly supports free speech.

thanks for floating me that ball Morten!

-Craig

El Gee

Freeware can even be a useful supplement to commercial software. We
use Microsoft Office at work, but I still download and install Open
Office. Not to use instead of MS Office, but to pull out of my sleave
in cases where MS Office falls short. It has turned out to be very
useful in several cases, and a real lifesaver in at least two.

Well put. It can also supplement other freeware. I have about 4-5
different graphics proggies since no 1 does what I want. Same goes for
registry cleaning tools and media players.

El Gee Www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace -- No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Mr Pounder

al jones said:
Qualified 'For an American' so am I, but you'd be amazed at the people who
assume 30 degrees is cold! //al

Depends on which temperature scale you are speaking about Mr "qualified"
American.

Steve

Roger Hunt

Qualified 'For an American' so am I, but you'd be amazed at the people who
assume 30 degrees is cold! //al

In the UK that would be er, warm, no, cold, because nobody here knows
whether we use °F or °C.

meow2222

El said:
Il Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:55:01 GMT, >Andy< ha scritto:

Almost everything's been covered now.

Media Jukebox, the kitchen sink media player:
http://www.mediajukebox.com/

Dazycalc, a calculator with a long list of modules. Google for a site
that has it, Dazy labs no longer has it on their site.

Star office 5.2 seems to have slipped through too, for older puters
with not enough RAM for OO:
http://fog.bio.unipd.it/pub/programs/staroffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-windows-en.exe

Also Canopener for extracting text from unknown or unusable file
formats.
http://www.abbottsystems.com/

Finally a graph paper utility (and more) v4.21
http://perso.easynet.fr/~philimar/

NT

Susan Bugher

Dazycalc, a calculator with a long list of modules. Google for a site
that has it, Dazy labs no longer has it on their site.

I've looked without sucess. If anyone has a download link please post it
- failing that, I think this app should be written off as unavailable.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

meow2222

Susan said:
I've looked without sucess. If anyone has a download link please post it
- failing that, I think this app should be written off as unavailable.

Susan

Its one of those apps best not written off. Maybe someone here with a
site can put it up for dl.

NT

Al Klein

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

The first question is like asking "Is there a list of flavors that are
the best?" I need certain software on all my computers. I need
certain other software on other computers. I wouldn't waste disk
space on other programs. I guarantee you that your needs are
different from mine.

Al Klein

Just in case you want to convert some other measurement to metric maybe.

You can't do conversions with calc (or approximations in your head)?
Multiply any value by one and it doesn't change - all you need is a
list of equivalents you don't remember. (X) cm /2.54 (really times 1
inch/2.54 cm - which is one) equals inches. Simple.

Al Klein

perhaps to convert bytes <-> KB <-> MB ?

Which conversion, Susan? 1000? 1024? 1000 * 1000? 1000 * 1024?
1024 * 1024?

(Yeah, I know, but it's better than being a dumb one. :) )

Al Klein

Should this be first, second and third?

BOTH AV and AS first if you download executables. An incoming
firewall if you don't have a router doing the firewalling. An
outgoing firewall if you run anything you aren't sure of.

I'd include good backup software, and a good backup routine, as among
the first, unless you don't keep any data worth keeping. An HD temp
monitor for laptops, at least, if not for all computers.

Why Tea

Freeware can even be a useful supplement to commercial software. We use
Microsoft Office at work, but I still download and install Open Office.
Not to use instead of MS Office, but to pull out of my sleave in cases
where MS Office falls short. It has turned out to be very useful in
several cases, and a real lifesaver in at least two.

This is the first time I heard about this claim. Can you provide an
example or two?