Program: Treepad Lite and Treepad Asia
Author: Henk Hagedoorn
Install: n.i.
Ware: Liteware (free)
http://www.treepad.com/

Everyone should install (units convertor):

Program: Convert
Author: (Joshua F. Madison)
Install: n.i.
Ware: (Donationware) (free)
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Everyone should install (torrent client):

Program: µTorrent
Author: Ludvig Strigeus
Ware: (Donationware) (free)
http://www.utorrent.com/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

SJP

>Andy said:
Hi,

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

An antiivirus,firewall,and antispyware should be the first

lisztfr

Andy< a écrit :
Hi,

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

On a scratch system ?

Proxomitron, Firefox, Thunderbird, diskeeper lite, NoteTab light
(good disc search feature), photofiltre, irfanview, atomic clock sync,
or neutron, locate32, coolplayer, azureus.
Explorer to files (just fund it in the chaos with NoteTab L, because i
wrote a file with filenote and some key words..) - Filenote.
Foxit reader...
And then, bdpoweramp, empty temp, 7zip, ...the rest is depending
of what you do with the PC. Could not live without taskill, from
DS software too.
VLC, a great video player, MW snap..tcpview, angry ipscan etc.

laurent h

El Gee

On a scratch system ?

Proxomitron, Firefox, Thunderbird, diskeeper lite, NoteTab light
(good disc search feature), photofiltre, irfanview, atomic clock sync,
or neutron, locate32, coolplayer, azureus.
Explorer to files (just fund it in the chaos with NoteTab L, because i
wrote a file with filenote and some key words..) - Filenote.
Foxit reader...
And then, bdpoweramp, empty temp, 7zip, ...the rest is depending
of what you do with the PC. Could not live without taskill, from
DS software too.
VLC, a great video player, MW snap..tcpview, angry ipscan etc.

laurent h

My goodness...Diskeeper Lite? I am sorry, I have to disagree. That
peice of nagware (I know you can break the license and get rid of the
nag) is very very heavy on system resources. O&O Defrag is better, but
almost impossible to find now.

The best choice for me so far has bee DIRMS (older command line version)
and Buzzsaw. Run DIRMS once a month and have Buzzsaw do the defragging
while your machine is idle.

I realize this is not automatic or good for newbies, but it is much
easier on the system resources and much more effective.

Your other choices for the most part are very good (although I prefer
IZArc to 7zip, Audacity to dbPoweramp, MP Classic to Coolplayer, and ABC
to Azureus).

My additional "gotta haves" (outside what has been previously stated):

CrapCleaner
Adaware
Spybot Seek & Destroy
A firewall (I am partial to Sygate)
A Anti-Virus (I am partial to Anti-Vir)
Open Office

Mind you this would be from the Windows side. I am using *mostly* Linux
at home.

JMHO / YMMV

El Gee Www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace -- No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Michel Firholz

Proxomitron, Firefox, Thunderbird, diskeeper lite, NoteTab light
(good disc search feature), photofiltre, irfanview, atomic clock sync, ....
VLC, a great video player, MW snap..tcpview, angry ipscan etc.
Why do you need another video player when you already have Irfanview?

tom hunt

Michel said:
Why should I install a unit convertor? I am fine with metric.
;-)
Just in case you want to convert some other measurement to metric maybe.
Some people are so dense.

Steve H

Hi,

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Lemme see now...( for W98SE )

Proxomitron ( web filter )
Clipboard Magic ( clipboard extender )
Click Tray Calendar ( diary/to-do )
Metapad ( Notepad replacement )
Layout.zip ( desktop icon restore...so useful after a safe mode boot )
Kerio 2.1.5 ( firewall )
Blowfish Advanced CS ( Encyrption )
Grisoft AVG Free edition ( antivirus )
Firefox
Pegasus ( email )
Cmosbak.exe ( bios backup )
XXcopy ( enhanced command-line copy )
Irfanview ( graphics viewer )
Powertoys ( system enhancements )

I'd regard all of those to be pretty much essential on any windows
setup I was hoping to work with.

Vanellus Byrd

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Seems to me that given the impending euthanization of Windows 98 come
June 30, a useful category would be survival tools for those who don't
want to (or can't) downgrade to XP.

Peter Seiler

Andy< - 28.03.2006 14:55 :
Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

that depends mainly from what you are doing with your computer.

Duddits

Hi,

Is there a list of the programs that almost everyone should install on
their new computer? What freeware programs do you find most valuable.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

Here's a small list that I put on each computer I own or build for others.

System
IZArc
AgentRansack
FreeCommander
EmptyTemp
Disk Explorer Professional

Graphics
IrfanView
PhotoFiltre
Digital Camera Enhancer1.3
DPIC
Red-E-Rem

Audio
Exact Audio Copy
Lame
Mp3Gain
Foobar
Audacity

Video
K-LiteMegaCodecPack
Media Player Classic
VLC Player
VirtualDub
TMPGEnc

Internet
Firefox
FileZilla
Dimension 4
Gaim
40tude Dialog
GrabIT

Productivity
FoxIT PDF Reader
FreePDF/Ghostscript
OpenOffice
MetaPad
Convert
Avery Label Designer

Security
AntiVir Classic
Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5
Password Safe
SafeGuard PrivateCrypto
TrueCrypt
Spybot S & D
SpywareBlaster

hope this helps

Dud

John Corliss

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

John Corliss

Peter said:
that depends mainly from what you are doing with your computer.

Good point, Peter. And along those lines again: