MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\compmgmt.msc

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, Feb 14, 2007.

    When I attempt to "Manage" my computer, I get the error message:

    MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMPMGMT.MSC
    This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
    created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have
    sufficient access rights to the file.

    I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services, etc.
    (basically anything in Administrative Tools).

    So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
    I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
    "console1" and put it in:
    DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get an
    error message stating:
    "MMC cannot save the console"

    I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
    privileges to the entire machine.

    I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
    c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my PATH.

    What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the O/S?

    Guest, Feb 14, 2007

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
    Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297064

    "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
    Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826282

    You receive a "Cannot open <Snap-in Name>" error message when you try to
    start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574

    Device Manager Snap-in fails to initialize
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/devmgr.htm

    "Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm

    Make sure that %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM is in the PATH.

    Note: %SystemRoot% is usually the same thing as C:\WINDOWS

    I.e. %SystemRoot%\System32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32

    Open a command prompt...
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    When the command prompt opens, type: path and then hit your Enter key.

    It should look something like this...

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    There may be more items, but make sure that you see WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    This behavior can also occur if your PATH environment variable ends with \

    To resolve the problem
    1. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
    2. Select the Advanced tab.
    3. Press the Environment Variables button.
    4. Double-click PATH in the System variables area.
    5. Remove the \ from the end of the string.
    6. Press OK and OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    Jay <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Feb 14, 2007

    These solutions did NOT resolve the problem.
    As I stated in my original post, I already reviewed and tried KB326574 and
    confirmed that the correct PATH variables are in place.

    Any other suggestions?

    Guest, Feb 14, 2007

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Is there a slash (\) in the environement variables?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    Jay <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Feb 14, 2007

    Hi Jay,
    What version of MSXML you have installed now on your server?.
    Read this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816598

    Open the Run Command and type in these DLLs (you may need just one but try
    both if the first didn't help):
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll Click [OK] and Reboot the machine Note if you have
    MSXML3 replace the number and re-register the DLL.
    regsvr32 /u msxml4.dll
    HTH.
    Let us know.
    Regards,
    nass

    Guest, Feb 14, 2007

    Wesley: YES, there are slashes ("\") in the PATH variable. My path was
    fairly long:

    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\oracle\reports\bin;C:\oracle\reports9i\bin;C:\Program
    Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
    Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\RAC

    Nass: The installed version of MSXML is 4, sp2 from Windows Update KB927978.
    The installed MSXML Parser is version 6.

    Guest, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Jay,

    did you ever get an answer to this. I suddenly got the same exact
    problem you have. It was after I reinstalled a clean install of XP
    and SP2. I had the exact same install on exactly the same machine
    before the reinstall. Previous install had become unstable after
    about 9 months of use, so I was reinstalling.

    Thanks,

    Dan P. Beckner

    Dan P. Beckner, Mar 9, 2007

    madjoe

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    ho ho.. got the solution..

    Regsvr32 Msxml.dll

    Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll

    Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll

    for me it works.. i had the same probs befor

    madjoe, Oct 11, 2007

    Jack_Tolmie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The fix for vista

    Thank you for the lead from the guy above. This one seems to work for vista, but it might be a bit redundant. I just registered them all...

    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll
    regsvr32 msxml6.dll

    It seems to fix the isssues with not being able to go into computer management, windows updates and a few other areas that you could not get into before.

    Jack_Tolmie, Feb 15, 2009