Microphone/sound problem - DpvSetup.exe not working

Reaction score
I am looking for some help to solve a problem with DpvSetup.exe. I am using Windows XP Pro Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.0612190316:Service Pack 2)

I have a microphone that works perfectly with Skype; however it does not seem to be recognized by Windows XP – I cannot use it with MSN Messenger. I am using Avance 97 Audio for my voice and sound software. The Device Manager shows all sound/audio to be working ok, the drivers seem ok, all say “this device is working properly”. However when I go to Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices\Voice and click on Test Hardware, it comes up with the message “An error occurred during Direct Play Voice Setup. Error code 0.80004005” then “cannot execute Dpvstup.exe Use Add/Remove control…”

Also I can play audio CDs (.cda files) using I-Tunes or Nero Show Time, but not with Windows Media Player – it comes up with the error message “Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”.

I looked for an answer on the net, got the following instruction:

Error Message:

Sound Hardware Test: An error occurred during direct play voice setup. The error code is 0x80004005.

Translation:

This error message may also be seen with the following error message: Windows Error: Windows cannot execute Dpvsetup.exe. Use Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to install. The problem most likely resides with a known WinXP bug that was probably triggered by another bug in the Game Voice program.

Solution:

The solution involves reconfiguring some advanced sound settings and tweaking the Registry. Start by opening the Control Panel and selecting the Sounds And Audio Devices icon (in the Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices category). Choose the Voice tab, locate the Voice Playback heading, and click the Advanced button. From the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, choose its Performance tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the right. It doesn't matter how far to the right, as long as the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to something other than None. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Before continuing to the next phase of the solution, you must make sure Dpvsetup.exe isn’t open and running on your PC. Press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE key combination to access the Task Manager and locate any references to Dpvsetup.exe or DirectPlay Voice. End all of them and close the Task Manager.

Now it’s time to edit the Registry. Open the Start menu, select Run, type regedit in the Open field, and click OK. In the Registry Editor, locate and highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\DIRECTPLAY\VOICE\AUDIOCONFIG. The AudioConfig key should include a pair of nested folders labeled with hexadecimal numbers. Open both of them to reveal several Registry values, including three labeled as FullDuplex, HalfDuplex, and MicDetected.

Right-click the FullDuplex value and select Modify from the pop-up menu. In the resulting Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 3 in the Value Data field and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the HalfDuplex and MicDetected values, setting the Edit Value fields to 3 for HalfDuplex and 2 for MicDetected. Close the Registry Editor and reboot the computer. The microphone should now work correctly. If it doesn’t, you may have a malfunctioning microphone or Game Voice control pad on your hands.

I followed the above instructions, made sure the Hardware Acceleration slider was on “full”, but when I tried the “test hardware” again the same problem occurred. I checked the registry settings and found that in the first of the nested files in AUDIOCONFIG the FullDuplex, HalfDuplex and MicDetected had been set back to zero.

In Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers/Avance AC’97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller/Properties/General it says “This device is working properly”, and under the Driver tab it shows Driver Provider: Avance Logic, Inc. Driver Date: 2002

Driver Version: 5.10.0.3830 Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

When I click Driver Details I get Driver files:

C:\Windows\Soundman.exe
C:\Windows\System 32\ALSNDMGR.CPL
C:\Windows\System 32\ALSNDMGR.WAV
C:\Windows\System 32\drivers\ALCXWDM.SYS
C:\Windows\System 32\drivers\drmk.sys
C:\Windows\System 32\ drivers\ks.sys
C:\Windows\System 32\ drivers\portcls.sys
C:\Windows\System 32\ drivers\stream.sys
C:\Windows\System 32\ksproxy.ax
C:\Windows\System 32\kuser.dll
C:\Windows\System 32\wdmaud.drv

When I click the Details tab it shows:

Device Instance ID

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_47304005&REV_50\3&13C0B0C5&0&8D

When I click the Resources tab, it shows:

Resource Settings
Resource Type Settings

I/O Range BC00 – BCFF
IRQ 11

Conflicting device list
No conflicts

I also looked in Program Files\Avance Sound Manager and found this folder to be empty.

Any advice/help anyone can give me would be much appreciated

Mike66

Last edited:
Reaction score
DpvSetup.exe problem _ CDA problem

Thanks for your advice, Abarbarian. I checked the site, followed the instructions and the cda extension is regstered with Windows Media Player. The media player opens automatically, but comes up with an error message saying it can't play that sort of file. However the Windows Media Player on my notebook (as opposed to my Desktop) plays the CDA files without a problem. So I guess the problem is related to my Desktop sound software and Windows XP.

Thanks again, every bit helps!

Mike 66

Reaction score
Sound/Mike problem

Thanks once again, Abarbarian for your advice. I checked out the website, downloaded and installed XP Codecs 2.06.1, but it did not solve the problem - when I tried a Cd, the same message appeared. I can't help feeling that the CD problem is related to microphone problem. Anything further to try would be much appreciated.

Mike66

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Can you give all details of your motherboard.

I have seen XP get it wrong before, and with an Avance sound card installing the wrong drivers, XP say are correct, but are in fact wrong.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Problem with DpvSetup.exe

Thanks for your help, Captain Crunchie - can you tell me how to get the details of my motherboard? I haven't got much experience of the technicalities!

Mike66

muckshifter

Reaction score
mike66 said:
Thanks for your help, Captain Crunchie - can you tell me how to get the details of my motherboard? I haven't got much experience of the technicalities!

Mike66
Well, there are a few way to tell ...

If it is a "branded" PC, just tell me the make & model number ... Open the case and look inside, there will be large writing on the MB ... download & install Everest Home Edition 2.20.

:thumb:

Reaction score
DpvSetup.exe problem _ CDA problem Captain Crunchie: I downloaded

Captain Crunchie: I downloaded Everest 2.2 and the motherboard details are as follows (the details of the Multi Media and DirectX are also provided in the attached file); I hope this is what you wanted.

Thanks agin, Mike66:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------ Version EVEREST v2.20.405 Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/ Report Type Report Wizard Computer MIKEDESKTOP (Desktop) Generator Mike Administrator Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail) Date 2007-03-23 Time 15:11 --------[ CPU ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CPU Properties: CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100) CPU Alias Northwood-128 CPU Stepping D1 Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2 Original Clock 2400 MHz Min / Max CPU Multiplier 24x / 24x Engineering Sample No L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions L1 Data Cache 8 KB L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed) CPU Physical Info: Package Type 478 Pin uPGA Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm Transistors 55 million Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K Die Size 131 mm2 Core Voltage 1.525 V I/O Voltage 1.525 V Typical Power 52.8 - 68.4 W (depending on clock speed) Maximum Power 67 - 87 W (depending on clock speed) CPU Manufacturer: Company Name Intel Corporation Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm CPU Utilization: CPU #1 0 % --------[ CPUID ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CPUID Properties: CPUID Manufacturer GenuineIntel CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz CPUID Revision 00000F29h IA Brand ID 0Ah (Intel Celeron) Platform ID 0Fh (Socket 478) IA CPU Serial Number Unknown Microcode Update Revision 21 HTT / CMP Units 0 / 0 Instruction Set: 64-bit x86 Extension (AMD64, EM64T) Not Supported Alternate Instruction Set Not Supported AMD 3DNow! Not Supported AMD 3DNow! Professional Not Supported AMD Enhanced 3DNow! Not Supported AMD Extended MMX Not Supported Cyrix Extended MMX Not Supported IA-64 Not Supported IA MMX Supported IA SSE Supported IA SSE 2 Supported IA SSE 3 Not Supported CLFLUSH Instruction Supported CMPXCHG8B Instruction Supported CMPXCHG16B Instruction Not Supported Conditional Move Instruction Supported MONITOR / MWAIT Instruction Not Supported RDTSCP Instruction Not Supported SYSCALL / SYSRET Instruction Not Supported SYSENTER / SYSEXIT Instruction Supported VIA FEMMS Instruction Not Supported Security Features: Advanced Cryptography Engine (ACE) Not Supported Data Execution Prevention (DEP, NX, EDB) Not Supported Hardware Random Number Generator (RNG) Not Supported Montgomery Multiplier & Hash Engine Not Supported Processor Serial Number (PSN) Not Supported Power Management Features: Automatic Clock Control Supported Enhanced Halt State (C1E) Not Supported Enhanced SpeedStep Technology (EIST, ESS) Not Supported Frequency ID Control Not Supported LongRun Not Supported LongRun Table Interface Not Supported PowerSaver 1.0 Not Supported PowerSaver 2.0 Not Supported PowerSaver 3.0 Not Supported Processor Duty Cycle Control Supported Software Thermal Control Not Supported Temperature Sensing Diode Not Supported Thermal Monitor 1 Supported Thermal Monitor 2 Not Supported Thermal Monitoring Not Supported Thermal Trip Not Supported Voltage ID Control Not Supported CPUID Features: 36-bit Page Size Extension Supported Address Region Registers (ARR) Not Supported CPL Qualified Debug Store Not Supported Debug Trace Store Supported Debugging Extension Supported Fast Save & Restore Supported Hyper-Threading Technology (HTT) Not Supported L1 Context ID Supported Local APIC On Chip Supported Machine Check Architecture (MCA) Supported Machine Check Exception (MCE) Supported Memory Configuration Registers (MCR) Not Supported Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR) Supported Model Specific Registers (MSR) Supported Page Attribute Table (PAT) Supported Page Global Extension Supported Page Size Extension (PSE) Supported Pending Break Event Supported Physical Address Extension (PAE) Supported Secure Virtual Machine Extensions (Pacifica) Not Supported Self-Snoop Supported Time Stamp Counter (TSC) Supported Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool) Not Supported Virtual Mode Extension Supported CPUID Registers (CPU #1): CPUID 00000000 00000002-756E6547-6C65746E-49656E69 CPUID 00000001 00000F29-0001080A-00004400-BFEBFBFF CPUID 00000002 665B5101-00000000-00000000-003B7040 CPUID 80000000 80000004-00000000-00000000-00000000 CPUID 80000001 00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000 CPUID 80000002 20202020-20202020-20202020-20202020 CPUID 80000003 65746E49-2952286C-6C654320-6E6F7265 CPUID 80000004 20295228-20555043-30342E32-007A4847 MSR Registers: MSR 00000017 000A-0000-0000-0000 MSR 0000002A 0000-0000-0000-0000 MSR 0000002C 0000-0000-1810-0018 MSR 0000008B 0000-0021-0000-0000 MSR 0000019A 0000-0000-0000-0008 MSR 0000019B 0000-0000-0000-0000 MSR 0000019C 0000-0000-0000-0000 MSR 000001A0 0000-0000-0000-0081 --------[ Motherboard ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Motherboard Properties: Motherboard ID 03/28/2003-P4M266A-8235-6A6LWX3BC-00 Motherboard Name Acorp 4PM266AM(N) Front Side Bus Properties: Bus Type Intel NetBurst Bus Width 64-bit Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR) Effective Clock 400 MHz Bandwidth 3200 MB/s Chipset Bus Properties: Bus Type VIA V-Link Bus Width 8-bit Motherboard Physical Info: CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP RAM Slots 4 DIMM Integrated Devices Audio, Video Form Factor Micro ATX Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm Motherboard Chipset P4M266A Motherboard Manufacturer: Company Name Acorp Electronics Corporation Product Information http://www.acorp.com.tw/eng/product.asp?lineid=1 BIOS Download http://www.acorp.com.tw/eng/download/download01.asp?lineid=1 --------[ Memory ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Physical Memory: Total 511 MB Used 355 MB Free 156 MB Utilization 69 % Swap Space: Total 816 MB Used 335 MB Free 480 MB Utilization 41 % Virtual Memory: Total 1327 MB Used 690 MB Free 637 MB Utilization 52 % Physical Address Extension (PAE): Supported by Operating System Yes Supported by CPU Yes Active No --------[ SPD ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ DIMM2: Corsair VS512MB400 ] Memory Module Properties: Module Name Corsair VS512MB400 Serial Number None Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks) Module Type Unbuffered Memory Type DDR SDRAM Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz) Module Width 64 bit Module Voltage SSTL 2.5 Error Detection Method None Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh Memory Timings: @ 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) Memory Module Features: Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported Auto-Precharge Not Supported Precharge All Not Supported Write1/Read Burst Not Supported Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Differential Clock Input Supported Redundant Row Address Not Supported Memory Module Manufacturer: Company Name Corsair Memory, Inc. Product Information http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products.html --------[ Chipset ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ North Bridge: VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A ] North Bridge Properties: North Bridge VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A In-Order Queue Depth 8 Memory Timings: CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T RAS Active Time (tRAS) 6T Memory Slots: DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Integrated Graphics Controller: Graphics Controller Type S3 ProSavageDDR Graphics Controller Status Disabled AGP Controller: AGP Version 2.00 AGP Status Enabled AGP Device Sapphire Radeon 9550 AGP Aperture Size 64 MB Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x Current AGP Speed 4x Fast-Write Not Supported Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled Chipset Manufacturer: Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc. Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2 [ South Bridge: VIA VT8233/8235 ] South Bridge Properties: South Bridge VIA VT8233/8235 Revision 00 Package Size 2.7 cm x 2.7 cm Process Technology 0.22 um Core Voltage 2.5 V AC'97 Audio Controller: Audio Controller Type VIA 8233/8235/8237 Codec Name Avance Logic ALC101 Codec ID 414C4730h S/PDIF Output Not Supported Chipset Manufacturer: Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc. Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2 --------[ BIOS ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BIOS Properties: BIOS Type Award Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Award BIOS Message 4PM266AM/N BIOS Ver:1.3 03/28/2003 System BIOS Date 03/28/03 Video BIOS Date 04/05/06 BIOS Manufacturer: Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Product Information http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40 Problems & Suggestions: Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today! Suggestion System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

Attachments

• Everest Report.txt
    59.9 KB · Views: 241

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yeah, right ... look, I ain't being funny here, but you can read ?

You have an E-Machine ... yes ? and old one at that.

Your initial post has an error code which points to a driver problem.

My initial reaction was the fact that XP can be confused to the on-board sound, especially with an Avance sound chip.

Your MB, as I see it, is a ...
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m266/
... and supposedly uses AC'97 integrated 2-channel Audio. Very basic and has had in the past "problems" with mic's.

However, Everest is quoting you as having a "Codec" Name Avance Logic ALC101 ... you can see where the confusion can come in. ;)

The "simple" solution is to go buy a NEW cheap 5.1 sound card, which will come with a CD with the correct drivers and "disable" the onboard sound via the BIOS

Sorry to start off on a sour note, but your presentation of data is a little hard to read. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, Captain Crunchie. I did as you suggested, bought a new sound card and installed it; however Windows XP won't load with the sound card installed -it just keeps re-booting. When I take the sound card out, it re-boots ok. I guess I'll just have to put up with the problem until I can get time to go back to scratch - re-install Windows, all my software etc.

By the way, I can read - but that does not mean I can understand all I read, especially techno-jargon! (I have no idea what an E-computer is!). And I saw the way the Everest report was re-formatted when I pasted it into the Reply; which is why I attached the original report in a separate file.

Thanks once more for your help - it is great that you guys give your free time to helping old buggers like me!

Mike66

muckshifter

Reaction score
The name is muckshifter, most people call me mucks. ;)

Sorry that did not work out, for the moment, I actually missed the .TXT file, old eye here & I have a few problems with them working these days.

The "new" sound card should not have caused the PC to reboot, what did you buy? however, that would depend on what slot you put it in. The best PCI slot to use is the one furthest away from the video card.

Before fitting the sound card I would have disabled the on-board sound via the BIOS

I haven't given up yet. :thumb:

Reaction score
I bought a Cobra AW-840 Sound card. I put it in the only slot left - away from tthe motherboard. I don't know how to disbale the original sound system by using BIOS.

Thanks again, Mike66

Ask a Question