    Do you need a firewall, besides XP's, at all, or is AVG free on its own
    enough.

    thanks

    t8769, Jan 2, 2007

  2. t8769 wrote:
    > Can anyone let me know if the firewall in Live Onecare is the same
    > as the standard XP firewall.
    >
    > Do you need a firewall, besides XP's, at all, or is AVG free on its
    > own enough.

    http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=mscom_dlc
    Specifies...
    "Two-Way Firewall"
    Windows XP (any version) only has a One-Way firewall.
    ie: different.

    You do need a firewall and you would be better off if you were also behind a
    NAT device/router. The one that comes with Windows XP is more than
    sufficent and easier to use for the standard home user than most others. It
    becomes especially effective if the user is also behind some sort of
    router/NAT device as well.

    AVG is an AntiVirus application. Not a Firewall.

    - You should have a firewall (Windows XP's is fine for most users).
    - You should have an AntiVirus software. (AVG's is a fine choice. And
    free!)
    - You should likely have some antispyware applications and immunizations in
    place. (Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft AdAware SE, SpywareBlaster,
    IE-SpyAd...)
    - Good strong passwords on all accounts. Changed periodically.

    Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the
    various things that could happen to you/it:

    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/

    Outfitting a new computer for the Net
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/newcomputer.mspx

    Getting started with a new PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/yournewpc.mspx

    Although those tips are fantastic, there are many things you should
    know above and beyond that. Below I have detailed out many tips
    that can not only help you clean-up a problem PC but keep it clean,
    secure and running at its best.

    I know this text can seem intimidating - it is quite long and a lot
    to take in for a novice - however I can assure you that one trip
    through this list and you will understand your computer and the
    options available to you for protecting your data much better -
    and that the next time you go through these steps, the time it
    takes will be greatly reduced.

    Let's take the cleanup of your computer step-by-step.
    Yes, it will take up some of your time - but consider what you use
    your computer for and how much you would dislike it if all of your
    stuff on your computer went away because you did not "feel like"
    performing some simple maintenance tasks - think of it like taking
    out your garbage, collecting and sorting your postal mail, paying
    your bills on time, etc.

    I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this
    document is about; however, here is some places for you poor souls
    still stuck in Windows 98/ME where you can get information on
    maintaining your system:

    Windows 98 and 'Maintaining Your Computer':
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/maintaining/

    Windows ME Computer Health:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/using/computerhealth/articles/

    Pay close attention to the sections:
    (in order)
    - Clean up your hard disk
    - Check for errors by running ScanDisk
    - Defragment your hard disk
    - Roll back the clock with System Restore

    Also - now is a good time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
    information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

    Search using Google!
    http://www.google.com/
    (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

    Now, let's go through some maintenance first that should only have to be
    done once (mostly):

    Tip (1):
    Locate all of the software you have installed on your computer.
    (the installation media - CDs, downloaded files, etc)
    Collect these CDs and files together in a central and safe
    place along with their CD keys and such. Make backups of these
    installation media sets using your favorite copying method (CD/DVD Burner
    and application, Disk copier, etc.) You'll be glad to know that if you
    have a CD/DVD burner, you may be able to use a free application to make a
    duplicate copy of your CDs. One such application is ISORecorder:

    ISORecorder page (with general instructions on use):
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    More full function applications (free) for CD/DVD burning would be:

    CDBurnerXP Pro
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    ImgBurn (burn ISO images)
    http://www.imgburn.com/

    Final Burner
    http://www.protectedsoft.com/products.php

    Another Option would be to search the web with Pricewatch.com or
    Dealsites.net and find deals on Products like Ahead Nero and/or Roxio.

    Ahead Nero
    http://www.nero.com/

    Roxio Easy Media Creator
    http://www.roxio.com/

    Tip (2):
    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
    size between 128MB and 512MB..

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
    following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
    something between 128MB and 512MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right
    now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
    (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
    minutes or more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
    Explorer.

    Tip (3):
    If things are running a bit sluggish and/or you have an older system
    (1.5GHz or less and 256MB RAM or less) then you may want to look into
    tweaking the performance by turning off some of the 'resource hogging'
    Windows XP "prettifications". The fastest method is:

    Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Performance section,
    Settings button. Then choose "adjust for best performance" and you
    now have a Windows 2000/98 look which turned off most of the annoying
    "prettifications" in one swift action. You can play with the last
    three checkboxes to get more of an XP look without many of the
    other annoyances. You could also grab and install/use one
    (or more) of the Microsoft Powertoys - TweakUI in particular:

    Another viable (decently inexpensive) option is to increase the amount
    of memory (RAM) your computer has. You can get an idea of what you
    need by visiting:

    Crucial Memory AdvisorT Tool
    http://www.crucial.com/

    Then either buy direct from there or write down the specs you get and
    visit: http://www.pricewatch.com/ and locate the best price on what you
    need. 512MB up to 1GB total memory should be more than enough for
    the normal home user.

    Tip (4):
    Understanding what a good password might be is vital to your
    personal and system security. You may think you do not need to password
    your home computer, as you may have it in a locked area (your home) where
    no one else has access to it. Remember, however, you aren't always
    "in that locked area" when using your computer online - meaning you likely
    have usernames and passwords associated with web sites and the likes that
    you would prefer other people do not discover/use. This is why you should
    understand and utilize good passwords.

    Good passwords are those that meet these general rules
    (mileage may vary):

    Passwords should contain at least six characters, and the character
    string should contain at least three of these four character types:
    - uppercase letters
    - lowercase letters
    - numerals
    - nonalphanumeric characters (e.g., *, %, &, !, :)

    Passwords should not contain your name/username.
    Passwords should be unique to you and easy to remember.

    One method many people are using today is to make up a phrase that
    describes a point in their life and then turning that phrase into their
    password by using only certain letters out of each word in that phrase.
    It's much better than using your birthday month/year or your anniversary
    in a pure sense. For example, let's say my phrase is:
    'Great new job in November 2006'
    I could come up with this password from that:
    'Gr8n3wj0bNOV2006'

    The password tip is in the one time section, but I highly
    recommend you periodically change your passwords. The suggested time
    varies, but I will throw out a 'once in every 3 to 6 months for
    every account you have.'

    Also - many people complain that they just cannot remember the passwords
    for all the sites they have - so they choose one password and use it for
    everything. Not a good idea. A much better method would be to use a
    Password Management tool - so you only have to remember one password,
    but it opens an application that stores your username/passwords for
    everything else - plus other valuable information. One that I can
    recommend:

    KeePass Password Safe
    http://keepass.sourceforge.net/

    It can even generate passwords for you.

    Tip (5):
    This tip is also 'questionable' in the one time section; however -
    if properly setup - this one can be pretty well ignored for most people
    after the initial 'fiddle-with' time.

    Why you should use a computer firewall..
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/fwbenefits.mspx

    You should, in some way, use a firewall. Hardware (like a nice
    Cable Modem/DSL router) or software is up to you. Many use both of
    these. The simplest one to use is the hardware one, as most people
    don't do anything that they will need to configure their NAT device
    for and those who do certainly will not mind fiddling with the equipment
    to make things work for them. Next in the line of simplicity would
    have to be the built-in Windows Firewall of Windows XP. In SP2 it
    is turned on by default. It is not difficult to turn on in any
    case, however:

    More information on the Internet Connection Firewall (Pre-SP2):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320855

    Post-SP2 Windows Firewall Information/guidance:
    http://snipurl.com/atal

    The trouble with the Windows Firewall is that it only keeps things
    out. For most people who maintain their system in other ways, this is
    MORE than sufficient. You may feel otherwise. If you want to
    know when one of your applications is trying to obtain access to the
    outside world so you can stop it, then you will have to install a
    third-party application and configure/maintain it. I have compiled a
    list with links of some of the better known/free firewalls you can choose
    from:

    BlackICE PC Protection (~$39.95 and up)
    http://blackice.iss.net/

    Comodo Free Fireall (Free)
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

    Jetico Personal Firewall (Free)
    http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

    Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/

    Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/npf/

    ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    You should find the right firewall for your situation in that
    list and set it up if you feel the Windows XP firewall is
    insufficient.

    Every firewall WILL require some maintenance. Essentially checking for
    patches or upgrades (this goes for hardware and software solutions) is
    the extent of this maintenance - you may also have to configure your
    firewall to allow some traffic depending on your needs.

    ** Don't stack the software firewalls! Running more than one software
    firewall will not make you safer - it would possibly negate some
    protection you gleamed from one or the other firewall you run. It is
    fine (and in many ways better) to have the software firewall as well
    as a NAT router.

    Now that you have some of the more basic things down..
    Let's go through some of the steps you should take periodically to
    maintain a healthy and stable windows computer. If you have not
    done some of these things in the past, they may seem tedious - however,
    they will become routine and some can even be scheduled.

    Tip (6):
    The system restore feature is only a useful feature if you keep it
    maintained and use it to your advantage. Remember that the system
    restore pretty much tells you in the name what it protects which is
    'system' files. Your documents, your pictures, your stuff is NOT
    system files - so you should also look into some backup solution.

    Whenever you think about it (after doing a once-over on your machine
    once a month or so would be optimal) - clear out your System Restore
    and create a manual restoration point.

    'Why?'

    Too many times have I seen the system restore files go corrupt or get
    a virus in them, meaning you could not or did not want to restore from
    them. By clearing it out periodically you help prevent any corruption
    from happening and you make sure you have at least one good "snapshot".
    (*This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.*)

    - Turn off System Restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
    - Reboot the Computer.
    - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
    - Make a Manual Restoration Point.
    http://snipurl.com/68nx

    That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
    that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
    into backups. You can either manually copy your important files, folders,
    documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, pictures, drawings and so on
    to an external location (CD/DVD - any disk of some sort, etc) or you can
    use the backup tool that comes with Windows XP:

    How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

    Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
    on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
    then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
    (while you do other things!)

    Another option that seems to still be going strong:

    Cobian Backup
    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
    so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
    I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
    do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
    backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
    (something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
    performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

    Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
    completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
    applications:

    Symantec/Norton Ghost
    http://snipurl.com/13e00

    Acronis True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    BootItT NG
    http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    Tip (7):
    You should sometimes look through the list of applications that are
    installed on your computer. The list may surprise you. There are more
    than likely things in there you know you never use - so why have them
    there? There may even be things you know you did *not* install and
    certainly do not use (maybe don't WANT to use.)

    This web site should help you get started at looking through this list:

    How to Uninstall Programs
    http://snipurl.com/8v6b

    How to change or remove a program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895

    A word of warning - Do NOT uninstall anything you think you MIGHT need
    in the future unless you have completed Tip (1) and have the installation
    media and proper keys for use backed up somewhere safe!

    Tip (8):
    Patches and Updates!

    This one cannot be stressed enough. It is SO simple, yet so neglected
    by many people. It is really simple for the critical Microsoft patches!
    Microsoft put in an AUTOMATED feature for you to utilize so that you do
    NOT have to worry yourself about the patching of the Operating System:

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

    However, not everyone wants to be a slave to automation, and that is
    fine. Admittedly, I prefer this method on some of my more critical
    systems.

    Windows Update
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Go there and scan your machine for updates. Always get the critical ones
    as you see them. Write down the KB###### or Q###### you see when
    selecting the updates and if you have trouble over the next few days,
    go into your control panel (Add/Remove Programs), insure that the
    'Show Updates' checkbox is checked and match up the latest numbers you
    downloaded recently (since you started noticing an issue) and uninstall
    them. If there was more than one (usually is), uninstall them one by one
    with a few hours of use in between, to see if the problem returns.
    Yes - the process is not perfect (updating) and can cause trouble like I
    mentioned - but as you can see, the solution isn't that bad - and is
    MUCH better than the alternatives.

    Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. The
    manufacturers of the other products usually have updates. New versions
    of almost everything come out all the time - some are free, some are pay
    and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best
    to check. Just go to their web pages and look under their support and
    download sections. For example, for Microsoft Office you should visit:

    Microsoft Office Updates
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    (and select 'Check for Updates' and/or 'Downloads' for more)

    You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface
    with the operating system. You have a video card that allows you to see on
    your screen, a sound card that allows you to hear your PCs sound output and
    so on. Visit those manufacturer web sites for the latest downloadable
    drivers for your hardware/operating system. Always get the manufacturers'
    hardware driver over any Microsoft offers. On the Windows Update site I
    mentioned earlier, I suggest NOT getting their hardware drivers - no matter
    how tempting.

    How do you know what hardware you have in your computer? Break out the
    invoice or if it is up and working now - take inventory:

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

    NVidia Video Card Drivers

    ATI Video Card Drivers
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

    Creative Labs Sound Device
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    C-Media Sound Device
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/driver

    Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
    may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

    As for Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, Microsoft has made this
    particular patch available in a number of ways. First, there is the
    Windows Update web page above. Then there is a direct download site.

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://snipurl.com/d41v

    If all else fails - grab the full download above and try to use that.
    In this case - consider yourself a 'IT professional or developer'.

    Tip (9):
    What about the dreaded word in the computer world, VIRUS?

    Well, there are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
    infections from these horrid little applications. Many are FREE to the
    home user and which you choose is a matter of taste, really. Many people
    have emotional attachments or performance issues with one or another
    AntiVirus software. Try some out, read reviews and decide for yourself
    which you like more:

    ( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    ca Anti-Virus (~$49.99 and up)
    http://snipurl.com/13e0u

    eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
    http://www.eset.com/products/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/kav6

    McAfee VirusScan (~$39.99 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/antivirus2007.htm
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$39.99 and up)
    http://snipurl.com/13e12

    Trend Micro (~$44.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/tav/
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
    look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
    settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
    perform a full scan periodically (yes, most protect you actively, but a
    full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

    Tip (10):
    The most rampant infestation at the current time concerns SPYWARE/ADWARE.
    You need to eliminate it from your machine.

    There is no one software that cleans and immunizes you against
    everything. Antivirus software - you only needed one. Firewall, you
    only needed one. AntiSpyware - you will need several. I have a list and
    I recommend you use at least the first five.

    First - make sure you have NOT installed "Rogue AntiSpyware". There are
    people out there who created AntiSpyware products that actually install
    spyware of their own! You need to avoid these:

    Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

    Also, you can always visit this site..
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    For more updated information.

    Install the first five of these: (Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)
    (If you already have one or more - uninstall them and download the
    LATEST version from the page given!)

    Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
    http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

    Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
    http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

    SpywareBlaster (Free!)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

    IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

    CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/

    Hijack This! (Free!)
    (Log Analyzer: http://hjt.networktechs.com/ )

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

    ToolbarCop (Free!)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

    Ccleaner (Free!)
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Browser Security Tests (Free Tester)
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    Popup Tester (Free Tester)
    http://www.popuptest.com/

    The Cleaner (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.moosoft.com/

    Sometimes you need to install the application and reboot into SAFE MODE in
    order to thoroughly clean your computer. Many applications also have
    (or are) immunization applications. Spybot Search and Destroy and
    SpywareBlaster are two that currently do the best job at passively
    protecting your system from malware. None of these programs (in these
    editions) run in the background unless you TELL them to. The space they
    take up and how easy they are to use greatly makes up for any inconvenience
    you may be feeling.

    Please notice that Windows XP SP2 does help stop popups as well.

    Another option is to use an alternative Web browser. I suggest
    'Mozilla Firefox', as it has some great features and is very easy to use:

    Mozilla Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

    So your machine is pretty clean and up to date now. If you use the sections
    above as a guide, it should stay that way as well! There are still a few
    more things you can do to keep your machine running in top shape.

    Tip (11):
    You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
    them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
    outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
    your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
    before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...

    How to use Disk Cleanup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    How to scan your disks for errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

    How to Defragment your hard drives
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

    I would personally perform the above steps at least once every three months.
    For most people this should be sufficient, but if the difference you notice
    afterwards is greater than you think it should be, lessen the time in
    between its schedule.. If the difference you notice is negligible, you can
    increase the time.

    Tip (12):
    SPAM! JUNK MAIL!
    This one can get annoying, just like the rest. You get 50 emails in one
    sitting and 2 of them you wanted. NICE! (Not.) What can you do? Well,
    although there are services out there to help you, some email
    servers/services that actually do lower your spam with features built into
    their servers - I still like the methods that let you be the end-decision
    maker on what is spam and what is not. I have a few products to suggest
    to you, look at them and see if any of them suite your needs. Again, if
    they don't, Google is free and available for your perusal.

    SpamBayes (Free!)
    http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

    Spamihilator (Free!)
    http://www.spamihilator.com/

    MailWasher
    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    As I said, those are not your only options, but are reliable ones I have
    seen function for hundreds+ people.

    Tip (13):
    ADVANCED TIP! Only do this once you are comfortable under the hood of your
    computer!

    There are lots of services on your PC that are probably turned on by default
    you don't use. Why have them on? Check out these web pages to see what all
    of the services you might find on your computer are and set them according
    to your personal needs. Be CAREFUL what you set to manual, and take heed
    and write down as you change things! Also, don't expect a large performance
    increase or anything - especially on today's 2+ GHz machines, however - I
    look at each service you set to manual as one less service you have to worry
    about someone exploiting.

    Service Configuration Tips
    http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm

    Configuring Services
    http://smallvoid.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

    Task List Programs

    Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/

    There are also applications that AREN'T services that startup when you start
    up the computer/logon. One of the better description on how to handle these
    I have found here:

    Startups
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    If you follow the advice laid out above (and do some of your own research as
    well, so you understand what you are doing) - your computer will stay fairly
    stable and secure and you will have a more trouble-free system.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 2, 2007

  3. t8769

    Patrick Guest

    You will be fine with AVG + XP's firewall. No need to buy Live
    Onecare.

    Patrick, Jan 2, 2007
  4. t8769 wrote:

    > Can anyone let me know if the firewall in Live Onecare is the same as
    > the standard XP firewall.

    I'm not sure, so I'll let someone else answre this.

    > Do you need a firewall, besides XP's, at all,

    You need, and should have, only *one* firewall. The Windows firewall
    monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any third-party firewall will also
    monitor outbound traffic, stopping rogue programs trying to call home, and
    is a better choice (although the Windows firewall is considerably better
    than nothing).

    > or is AVG free on its
    > own enough.

    You are mixing up apples and oranges. AVG is an anti-virus product, not a
    firewall. You need three kinds of software for adequate protection:

    1. An anti-virus program.

    2. A firewall.

    3. Two or more (because no single product is good enough) anti-spyware
    programs.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jan 2, 2007
  5. t8769

    Plato Guest

    t8769 wrote:

    > Can anyone let me know if the firewall in Live Onecare is the same as
    > the standard XP firewall.

    No its not the same.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 3, 2007
  6. t8769

    PA Bear Guest

    MS has made web-forums available for OneCare support and questions. This
    newsgroup is not related to these forums nor are they available via
    newsgroups.

    Windows Live OneCare Forums
    http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/default.aspx?siteid=2
    --