Linux is ok, since its free, but how about a OS that saves you money?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Lin=F8nut?=

After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
When working with customers that have MS Office, Open Office doesn't
come close, in fact, none of the nix office apps have come close to
being able to fully import/convert MS Office documents. Sure, if all you
use is a couple fonts and no formatting, but most of our documents
require extensive rework when moving from OO to MS O or from MS O to OO.

Have you tried it with OO 2.0? Seems to be very close, at least for our
design documents.

Another option is StarOffice, which currently costs $70, but apparently
has even more functionality.
Look at it this way, if a customer is using MS Office, makes use of more
than just TEXT in the document, then you're just about screwed trying to
get the same image in OO, yes, I know you can export to RTF and such,
but if you take a business document, with styles, etc... it just doesn't
import into OO properly most times.

There's always the option of switching everything to OO and ODF.

Cold turkey, if necessary.

Margrave of Brandenburg

Leythos said:
Look at it this way, if a customer is using MS Office, makes use of more
than just TEXT in the document, then you're just about screwed trying to
get the same image in OO, yes, I know you can export to RTF and such,
but if you take a business document, with styles, etc... it just doesn't
import into OO properly most times.

The analogy you present is flawed - more like this: If I have a
multilayer image in Photoshop and make a JPG for you, then print it on a
color printer, you can scan them on your scanner and edit them, but you
don't have the source files, so you lose all the layer info, the masks,
etc...

The same is true in reverse, if you are a OO person and send to a MS
Office client, unless you create a known compatible format, well, you've
seen what happens (haven't you?).

Agreed.

Too many people think that their home/personal use of a PC is just like
business use. So, they conclude that what works for home must also work for
business.

Not so. We've been through several rounds of document conversion. Costly and
painful.

Bill Turner

JEDIDIAH said:
I have two copies of XP that I am no longer using.

Put them up for sale. At the right price they will be gone in a
heartbeat.

Mr Bill

old jon

Bill Turner said:

Put them up for sale. At the right price they will be gone in a
heartbeat.

Mr Bill
He`s go to keep them Bill. (Just in case <G>.)

JEDIDIAH

He`s go to keep them Bill. (Just in case <G>.)

You seriously want a copy of XP that is only authorized for
use with my home laptop and another one that is only authorized for
my work laptop?

I have a few bridges to sell while we're at it.

chrisv

Margrave said:
We've been through several rounds of document conversion. Costly and
painful.

As Micro$oft intended it to be. You know that they want you trapped
so that you cannot leave them, right?

I Steal Software

Linønut said:
After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Have you tried it with OO 2.0? Seems to be very close, at least for
our design documents.

Another option is StarOffice, which currently costs $70, but
apparently has even more functionality.

Don't let the $70 price tag deter you.

"Of course, whether from the net or from work. Why would I pay $50 for
an app I will use one time?"

Here we have it folks, the true nature of the "linux advocate".

Rick

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
<[email protected]>
wrote
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Al Klein
<[email protected]>
wrote
Firstly, I do have Ubuntu. Secondly I was responding to someone who
praised the command line over the GUI for moving files.

So you can click on 1,000 files faster than someone could type "mv
/somewhere/*.jpg /somewhere-else"? Do you often melt your mouse?

A more likely scenario:

[1] Bring up exploration window.
[2] Click on "File type" header.
[3] Click on first file.
[4] Scroll down then *shift*-click on second file, selecting a range.
[5] Drag to destination.

(Assuming 1/4 second a click, clicking on 1,000 files would take more
than 4 minutes.)

This is not to say that this works in every case;

mv /somewhere/*a*b*c.jpg /somewhere-else

would be hard to select in an Explorer, Konqueror, or Nautilus-style
window.

Konqueror:
Select your files, right click, move to, navigate to destination.

Most of the time will be spent selecting the files. Still, sounds like
Konqueror did some thinking. :)

Well, if they are all the files in the directory... Select All, or ctrl-a.
If you want all of the jpegs, sort by file type and select them.

Rick

MS Office, at least in the USA, is used by more businesses and government
offices than any other packaged document program.

I didn't ask how many peope used it.

How is MS Office 'generally more useful than Open Office'?
In case anyone missed it, you can run Office XP on Linux using a 3rd party
Linux tool, I do it all the time.

So what?

Ric

On 26 Jan 2006 05:42:16 GMT said:

Let's see the equivalent in Windows:
1. Insert CD
2. Click OK
3. Have a beer.

Done.

Mr Bill

Sounds just like the Sony rootkit installation. ;-)

Ric

Al Klein

Hmmm, these Windows users you mentioned, are they the same as single-OS
users?

No, they're application users. If you ask them what OS they're
running they have to look, they aren't really sure. "Windows ...
something."

Al Klein

Oh, you mean the M$ condom approach for apps due to the faulty design of
the o/s?

I'm talking about not being able to install a .net app until you've
installed the .net framework. The installer is written in .net, for
pity's sake. And why shouold I install a 2 gig framework on my
computer to run an app that can really be written in about 2 megs?
You'd think that MS, Intel and Kensington were all the same company.

Why Tea

Hmmm, these Windows users you mentioned, are they the same as single-OS
No, they're application users. If you ask them what OS they're
running they have to look, they aren't really sure. "Windows ...
something."

Please follow the original discussion. It was about those OS users who
tried to criticize/garbage the other OS. Of course it was about OS
users. It's like drivers don't have to know what's underneath the boot,
but mechanics do. In this case, it was about the mechanics.

Why Tea

Well, if they are all the files in the directory... Select All, or ctrl-a.
If you want all of the jpegs, sort by file type and select them.

Is it really necessary to continue with this Ctrl-A, select this,
select that, delete this, delete that???

Rick

Is it really necessary to continue with this Ctrl-A, select this, select
that, delete this, delete that???

I don't know. Is it? What do you want to do? If you want to do something
with all the files in a directory, you select them all... however you want
to select them.

OTOH... if you never delete any files, your HD will probably fill up.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Lin=F8nut?=

After takin' a swig o' grog, Al Klein belched out this bit o' wisdom:
I'm talking about not being able to install a .net app until you've
installed the .net framework. The installer is written in .net, for
pity's sake. And why shouold I install a 2 gig framework on my
computer to run an app that can really be written in about 2 megs?

It's the VBRUN.DLL (spelling?) issue all over again! Only now it's
humongous!!!!

GreyCloud

Al said:
I'm talking about not being able to install a .net app until you've
installed the .net framework. The installer is written in .net, for
pity's sake. And why shouold I install a 2 gig framework on my
computer to run an app that can really be written in about 2 megs?
You'd think that MS, Intel and Kensington were all the same company.

Hehehe... they probably are. One thing it seems to do is slow down the
o/s a bit and the app. Guess that keeps the upgrade treadmill moving
along, which makes Intel very happy.

GreyCloud

Linønut said:
After takin' a swig o' grog, Al Klein belched out this bit o' wisdom:

It's the VBRUN.DLL (spelling?) issue all over again! Only now it's
humongous!!!!

I knew Gates had some kind of psychosis about size.