Kanotix 2007 Thorhammer Rc7

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Darn nice work!

I just had to try it out... so I installed Kanotix into VirtualBox. My virtual OS #20, but who's counting?
laughingsmiley.gif

The first thing I installed was Synaptic Package Manager. KPackage is too... something. But, yeah, Kanotix is a good distro.

My virtual OS #19 is another Knoppix derivative, by the way... Sidux. There go the updates... with Synaptic, of course:

KDE is nice, but there is a limit to how much a gnomie can take... so I installed GNOME... ahhh! Much better
tongue.gif
:

I love Linux!
biggrin.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta its nice to be appreciated .

Why don't you do a idiots walkthrough on how to install Synaptic in Kanotix ?? :eek:

That Sidux background looks neat . :thumb:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Why don't you do a idiots walkthrough on how to install Synaptic in Kanotix ?? :eek:
Either search and install it with KPackage... or open the terminal, and...

Code:
$ su
<enter your root passwd>
# apt-get install synaptic

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just two small points about your walkthrough . No title and no pictures . Without pictures you'll loose over 99% of your audience after the first full stop .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
"The sound works just fine though maybe a little gravelly . Could just be Tom Waits though ."

If it ain't... open terminal, and type "kmix":

See the loudspeaker icon next to clock? Double click on that... experiment with "Master" and "PCM" levels.

Oh, and... the loudspeaker icon is bound to be there even after reboot.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the mini walkthrough . I was joking really
nod.gif
Have you heard any Tom Waites
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

attachment.php

Sounds as rough as he looks .

:D

Attachments

• 68688_lg.jpg
    68688_lg.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 397

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score

laughingsmiley.gif

THE best concert I've ever been at was his "Big Time" gig in Stockholm... sheesh... twenty years ago. Time sure flies.

Reaction score
You have done a good job of showing one of the best linux distros off ... in my opinion ...... a lot opt for Ubuntu.

But I have found that same as you ...... everything that you need can easily be loaded up and run.

I have run the old version of Kanotix for quite a long time now and it gives me a lot of programs that run very fast for 3d design work etc.

Gimp and Blender are two very good programs also Wings3d for drawing designing animation etc.

Also if you like games try Tremulous out, 3d graphics ......

Ok just thought I'd pop by ........

23dornot23d likes this thread ........

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks 23dornot23d ,
If you have any really good tips or a mini walkthrough or a big walkthrough specificaly for this new version of Kanotix please do post them here .

Penguins are cool .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Always learning new stuff

Thanks - this is a link to some things I found with the old version - which will still work with the new version.

Wine and aMSN etc. also you can get to other info Kanotix Apt-get etc.... from this link

http://keithaerospace92.googlepages.com/linux-andxpprogramsthatworkinit

Its great to see how quickly you have sorted the new version and how to install it on a USB drive.

You have done a really good job here of showing how to set it up ....... I never new of the 'wink' program

Its good to know that people like yourself , that help others by spending a lot of time showing step by step instructions

If you are into music - there are lots of keyboard synthesizer type programs in Linux - in fact there is so much and new things coming out all the time ....... if you find any other good programs ....... do some screenshots.

I look forward to seeing more of your findings ..........
nod.gif

Miro is good too for Video etc....... Beryl might work too for your system ..... for the cube graphical desktop.

Juk music player is good too ..... you may have already tried this .....its good for searching your hard drive for all your albums.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta fer the link . Its good to know that aMSN works as it is a popular messaging client , its not something I use meself but lots of folk will be interested . Same goes for the BBC Ticker program , I might use it if I win the lottery .
Faststone is the image viewer I use in XP so its nice to know that it will work in Kanotix too . I will probably try out some linux alternatives for fun and to see what they are like . faststone is pretty good for me though .

Haven't had a chance to play with the WINK yet . I belive that it is similar to CAM STUDIO which works apparently under Windows or Linux . Wink uses flash files and I belive and has smaller final files than Cam Studio . They both have advantages and disadvantages . Had a good link for them but can't find it.

Miro Player is just fab though it has its quirks . Learn its foibles though and it is a great way of obtaining vids on any sublect fairly effortlessly . Works just fine with Linux and Windows and I have tried it with the Moka5 stuff aswell . I used to run it through the night along with Boinc . Lots of instant vids to catch up with in the mornings , none of that waiting for streaming content which is a real pain on a slow connection .
nod.gif

I just downloaded a game so am going tyo see if I can get it to run . Wish me luck .
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Best of luck with whatever you try ........

Another thing I use is Tomboy notes which is good ......
also vym and freemind (mind managers)
buoh online comic reader is ok too (has a list of cartoons that update each day)
xaos - fractal viewer.These are a few things I have used and like .....
google earth works as well .........
I wont go on - its good finding things out ......

Reaction score
KDE4 and Thorhammer

Have now loaded Thorhammer up and am impressed -loading time is slightly longer than the version I used to use.
Have upgraded it with KDE4 ... that took some time to sort out .....but now two excellent desktops running.
(Gnome with the old version of Enlightenment) reason blender runs perfect in it ....
and
(KDE4 with the old version of Enlightenment) reason if you turn on the display settings for transparent running with Superkaramba, it locks up then will not let you back in.

I do not know if anybody on this forum has had it working using Kanotix Thorhammer ...... but if you want to the files are in the debian experimental repository ......

I put some screenshots on here http://keithinfrance.stumbleupon.com/

Only just got it all running ..... ok (2 days hardly had any sleep) ...........

Reaction score
Have now loaded Thorhammer up and am impressed -loading time is slightly longer than the version I used to use.
Have upgraded it with KDE4 ... that took some time to sort out .....but now two excellent desktops running.
(Gnome with the old version of Enlightenment) reason blender runs perfect in it ....
and
(KDE4 with the old version of Enlightenment) reason if you turn on the display settings for transparent running with Superkaramba, it locks up then will not let you back in.

I do not know if anybody on this forum has had it working using Kanotix Thorhammer ...... but if you want to the files are in the debian experimental repository ......

I put some screenshots on here http://keithinfrance.stumbleupon.com/

Only just got it all running ..... ok (2 days hardly had any sleep) .........

Ask a Question