Makulu 9 Aero Soars

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Above the Linux Distro Crowd

edition might seem like one flexible Linux offering too many. However, anyone hankering for a Windows-like operating system and the best of what is easy about using Linux could not make a better choice.
[/URL]

I have been using Makulu Mate on and of for the last nine months and have found no problems.So I am faily sure that this Makulu edition will provide the same quality.Looks really neat and seems a comfortable way to gain penguinisity for Windows users looking to progress. :thumb:

Reaction score
I have just read the article " Makulu 9 Aero Soars Above the Linux Distro Crowd" and it interested me I have had a play with Zorin 9 LTS dual booted with Windows 8.1 but uninstalled it some months ago as it in the end did not fit well with me. This edition of Makulu seems better than Zorin 9 for a Windows user what is your opinion Abarbarian as a more experienced PC user than me.:bow::bow:
My problem is that really I have only used XP, Vista, W7 and w 8.1 and had a dabble with Zorin 9 LTS and have no knowledge of PC languages I just want something that works out of the box like Windows do you think Makulu would fit the bill as I would like to get away from Microsoft:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Pointless asking me at the moment as I am in a "I hate MS" mode as me W7 crashed after some MS update and the W7 made with W7 backup would not work so any penguin is best at the moment.

Seriously though. I have not had time to try it out but if it is the same as Makulu Mate then it should work nicely. As far as I can remember the install was pretty straight forward.

Ah ha glad I had a peek on the Makulu main site the Aero flavour is at Beta2 which means that it is almost ready for everyday use.You may run into some small glitches if you try it. So with that in mind and as they do not make a Mate flavour anymore I would suggest in no particular order,

MakuluLinux Cinnamon 64bit

MakuluLinux LxFce Hybrid Desktop 64bit

Xfce 64bit Normal Edition

You can try out any of them on a usb stick by using this in a windows pc,

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Here is the Makulu site it has some neat videos of the different flavour os's.

http://makululinux.com/lxfce/

Reaction score
Right! This is aimed at poor old Abarbarian ( other replies welcome) mainly I know he is using Makulu 9 Aero 64 bit.

1) I have downloaded the Makulu 9 download but not sure how I burn it on to a boot disc DVD. I have a burning suite from Ashampoo.
2) I don't wish to uninstall W8.1 until I have got used to Makulu 9 so rather than having Makulu dual booted can I download it onto a D drive and alter the BIOS settings to boot from ether the C or D Drive?
3) As a person who was brought up with the wireless, Music While You Work, The Archers, Life with the Lyons and latterly The Navy Lark do you think I will be able to cope with the transition from Microsoft all editions from XP to W8.1 to Makulu?

I suppose I am a little nervous at the thought of the transition from something I know to something I am ignorant about. My reason from wanting to change is that it would seem that when you purchase a Microsoft that you have not bought a complete package the on costs for software is horrendous eg Office, Security software, etc,etc. which add to the cost of running a PC whilst certainly Makulu and Zorin come fully loaded. I did try Zorin but could not get on with it and found it not very stable or more probably I did not know what I was doing and kept on breaking it. With Zorin I was able to purchase a boot disc from Zorin so the installation was easy also it was dual booted, which was mistake as I had to not only delete Zorin but also the partition.

Any help will be gratefully received.:confused::confused::confused::user::user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi Bootneck02.

You must have been in a hurry when you read my post's as I am using Makulu Mate. My initial post was based on the article about Makulu 9 Aero however I did visit the Makalu site and posted again.

Ah ha glad I had a peek on the Makulu main site the Aero flavour is at Beta2 which means that it is almost ready for everyday use.You may run into some small glitches if you try it. So with that in mind and as they do not make a Mate flavour anymore I would suggest in no particular order,

MakuluLinux Cinnamon 64bit

MakuluLinux LxFce Hybrid Desktop 64bit

Xfce 64bit Normal Edition

I am assuming that you have a 64 bit pc if not then you need the 32 bit Xfce Lite or Normal image.Now I am not sure which Makulu you downloaded. I would suggest MakuluLinux LxFce Hybrid Desktop 64bit. Follow the link to view the os demonstrated in a video.

http://makululinux.com/lxfce/

I am not familiar with Windows 8 or 8.1 and do not have a running Windows at the moment so can not say if they are able to burn a .iso or image file to a dvd/cd.
However you say you have a copy of Ashampoo which will do the job just fine.You will need a dvd as the images are too big for a cd.As I do not have W7 running I can not give you full details of how to do this but this should help,

Go to "Create/Burn Disc Images" and then "Burn a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Disc from a Disc Image."

Click "Browse" to select the ISO file you want to burn to disc and then click "Next."

Once you have burnt the dvd you can boot into the Live image and have a play around to see if you will get along with it. Sometimes things do not work 100% from a live dvd/cd but work properly in a full install so bear that in mind if you have any minor glitches.

If you have trouble burning then if you like I can burn you some various dvd//cd's and post them to you but I will need to know if you are 32 or 64 bit.

When you have had a play with the live version we can see about getting you to try the os's from a usb stick. An after that we can see about doing a instal to your hdd/ssd.

I like R4 too been a listener for forty years my favourite program is I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue as it suits my personality.

One step at a time leads to penguin heaven.:lol:

which was mistake as I had to not only delete Zorin but also the partition.
Folk don't make mistakes they just learn yet another way of not doing something correctly. Anyways creating and deleting partitions is a breeze with gparted in linux.Once we have you up and running live you will see how easy it is.

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian I have just posted on the Hardware link the below message. I know you do not use W 8.1 but how is it possible that W 8.1 is still on my pc after I have removed the HD which it is downloaded on:confused::confused::cry::cry:

:eek::confused:I decided to install a Linux system called Makulu 9 64 bit so I removed the C drive which contained Windows 8.1 and installed a clean hard drive as I wanted to keep windows and not do a dual boot. Anyway fitted the new drive re booted and low and behold the PC tried to boot into Windows 8. WHAT on earth has happened here Is Microsoft trying to stop users going to other operating systems, how come there is some residual of W 8.1 still on the PC?????:cry::cry::cry: HELP:wall:

Reaction score
Well Abarbarian here I am a fledgling Penguin but not Makulu I am afraid as I had problems with downloading on to DVD, it went on ok but was not able to boot into it from the DVD drive, perhaps Windows corrupted it. But I have downloaded Linux Mint 7.2 and am writing this using Linux mint. So now down to get used to this distro, wish me luck

Ask a Question