Joseph Gregory

Reaction score
My Computer suddenly doesn't recognize that I have a CD ROM drive (Sony CDROM CDU5221). Device Manager informs me that "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Upgrade Driver Device Wizard tells me that a suitable driver device is already installed. For what it's worth, I've been unable to locate a driver anywhere on line, only a firmware upgrade dated 2003. The hardware is plugged in. I'm running Win2000.

Any suggestions?

GK

Reaction score
If, you are competent.

Turn the power off remove the power lead and press the start button to drain the remaining power.

Open the PC case and remove the IDE cable from the CD and motherboard, then check the cable for damage/cracks then replace the cable if it looks ok, then try again as the cable may not be seated correctly.

Reaction score
Thanks. After following your advice, visual inspection shows no sign of stress on the motherboard. I suspect if something were physically awry I'd be experiencing more problems than just this sudden unexpected dissappearance of the CD-ROM drive.

GK

Ask a Question