Intenet Connection Problems

Nick Day

I am having a problem getting internet access... I have
recently tried installing a wireless card which for some
reason was not working correctly. When i decided to
connected through the Ethernet port, I was able to
acknowledge a connection, but to a very limited extent.
My connection status would stay constant.... it always
says 42 Packets sent, and 0 Packets received....Another
thing is that my connection at my house is at 11MBPS, but
after the wireless card was put in, my connection was
changed to 100MBPS. I have no clue what this could
possibly be, the internet worked perfectly fine before,
and now it seems that configuration has changed on me....
any help on what might be the cause of this would be
greatly appreciated.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Nick,

Not enough info to give you a pinpoint answer. Don't have any details on your AP or how that
integrates into your network.

Here are a couple of things to try.
Disable the ethernet connection (not just unplug it - but disable it in Network Properties) and
only use the wireless adapter. Does this now work? It sounds like from your description that
both were active at the ame time and this will cause a problem.

Try ping tests to see if you can ping the default gateway. If you do not get a response, then this
will fail.
Do an ipconfig /all and be sure you are getting an IP address for your wireless adapter. If not,
then you have some type of setup/configuration problem with the setup of your wirless and
AP.

The above should point you in the right direction to find out what the problem is and find a
solution.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Nick Day" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Nick Day" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Intenet Connection Problems
'--'Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:44:42 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Nick Day

Here are some more of the specifics....
First of all, I have recently purchased the new comcast
high-speed internet, and i have been using it via
ethernet port on my Compaq Armada Laptop (w/ windows
2000). Everything was working fine, internet connection
was very fast, and i was connected at 11MBPS. Just a
couple days ago, I decided to add in a Wireless Card for
my laptop (known as the 11M Wireless Card Bus PC Card
model #WE120P). (this is where my problems began). At
first i wasn't able to connect to the internet via my
wireless card, but it kept saying connection failed. So i
went and tried to connect through the ethernet port, and
it was able to get a connection (it does say there is an
established connection), but it will ONLY sent a small
amount of data Out. (IE. packets sent = 42; received =
0). It also says (by hovering over the connection in the
system tray) that I am connected at 100MBPS on the
ethernet connection. I believe this connection used to
say ar 11MBPS, and thats where I think my problem comes
in. I think by installing the wireless card it tweaked my
connection settings which messed up my internet in
general. All i am wondering - is there a way to change
this setting back, and if not, do you think that I have a
possible virus that would be doing this? Also, I have
downloaded the latest drivers for each device thinking
that it would help, but I am still in the same boat.
Connected at 100MBPS instead of 11MBPS, no activity, no
access to the internet.

Thanks again, Nick.

P.S. This could also help: The Compaq Armada I am using
used to be part of a large business network.. most if not
all of its old settings were changed to those of a PC
homeuser, but this could be part of it.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Nick,

It would not seem logical that installing the wireless adapter caused a slowdown on your
ethernet connection. One thing you can do is uninstall the wirless adapter. Make your
connection to the Internet and see if you have the same speed as before.

Check your settings for the ethernet adapter and be sure it is set at 100Mbps as some
adapters allow you to change this setting to 10Mbps.

Once you get back to the 100Mbps, then before installing the wireless, make sure you have
any updated drivers (even if you just bought it, it may have outdated drivers) and check the
vendors web site for any known issues.

Thanks,
Gary
'--'From: "Nick Day" <[email protected]>