Installing XP on 98SE System...

What-a-Tool

Installing XP on 98SE System...

Want to format the harddrive and do a clean install. Am afraid of losing my
cd drivers and not being able to run the installation disc.
Any Tips?

Prob 2 :
Have an upgrade version of XP Pro. Was told I can install this as a new
installation, and at a certain point in the installation, when prompted, I
can insert the 98SE Disk to verify that I am the legal owner of a full blown
version of Windows. True?
Its a fresh of the shelf version of XP, so I have all appropriate codes, but
I can't find the codes for my original 98SE disk. (Re-Installation disk from
Gateway.) will the codes from 98 be needed?

Thank You

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"Opinions are like flatulence - everyone loves the sound of their own, but
anyone else's usually just stinks !"
-anonymous

John Ski

Subject: Installing XP on 98SE System...
From: "What-a-Tool" [email protected]
Date: 12/3/2004 10:34 PM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

1. You will be booting from the XP disk and performing the format and install
sequentially so those drivers won't be an issue. You should run the XP
Compatability Wizard first and follow it's recomendations to ensure that you
have any necessary updated drivers for your hardware to install after you
install XP.

2. True, and no, but if you only have a "restore disk" from Gateway the XP
install may not recognize it as the proof you need. So you may want to just do
the upgrade instead of a clean install. It usually goes pretty smoothly. Run
checkdisk/f, defrag and turn off your antivirus S/W before doing the upgrade,
and download any drivers the Compatability Wizard told you that you needed,
first.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Alex Nichol

What-a-Tool said:
Installing XP on 98SE System...

Want to format the harddrive and do a clean install. Am afraid of losing my
cd drivers and not being able to run the installation disc.
Any Tips?

Prob 2 :
Have an upgrade version of XP Pro. Was told I can install this as a new
installation, and at a certain point in the installation, when prompted, I
can insert the 98SE Disk to verify that I am the legal owner of a full blown
version of Windows. True?

The installation sets off running from the BIOS and provided that this
sees the CD and allows you to boot from it there is no concern about
drivers. In XP there is no matter of 'loading CD drivers in config.sys'

But I would start off doing an upgrade - read up at Gary Woodruff's
article on upgrading to XP at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
and make sure your CPU and RAM are up to the job; below about a 400MHz
CPU and 256MB RAM you are probably better to stay with 98.

If you *do* decide to do a clean install, boot the XP CD direct. Enter
Setup, and after the license agreement take New Install. When it asks
you to confirm where, hit ESC; select and delete the current partition
and make a new RAW one to be formatted at the next stage

When then it asks where Windows is, put the 98 CD in the drive (provided
it is a proper one with a Win98 folder of cab files) and point to it.

Bruce Chambers

What-a-Tool said:
Installing XP on 98SE System...

Want to format the harddrive and do a clean install. Am afraid of losing my
cd drivers and not being able to run the installation disc.
Any Tips?

Prob 2 :
Have an upgrade version of XP Pro. Was told I can install this as a new
installation, and at a certain point in the installation, when prompted, I
can insert the 98SE Disk to verify that I am the legal owner of a full blown
version of Windows. True?
Its a fresh of the shelf version of XP, so I have all appropriate codes, but
I can't find the codes for my original 98SE disk. (Re-Installation disk from
Gateway.) will the codes from 98 be needed?

Thank You

It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--