IE6 Cannot Find Server

Need help. Whenever I try to use IE and connect to the internet, I always
receive this messsage: Cannot find Server. Every site I try to access the
message is always the same. I tried renaming my host file to either host.old;
oldhost; host.zo.bk. I even searched my whold computer for adware and deleted
it, cleared my temperary internet files and cookies and still nothing. I just
cannot connect through the internet with IE.

Don Varnau

Hi,
It's possible that you still have malware installed. But try the appropriate
Winsock repair tool.

Win XP...
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
Also, with instructions, at http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Windows 98/ME...
LSP Fix from http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If unsuccessful with those steps, please post back with additional
information such as Windows version, type of internet connection and which
adware removal tools you used.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Kevin" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

All those things that you all have posted didn't work. My computer is a
Windows 98, use dial-up connection and I have used Spy-bot and the Yahoo
Anti-Spy program.

Cannot fix the problem with the suggestions that you gave. I am running a
Windows 98, with a dial up connection and using porgrams such as Spy Bot
(Search and Destroy) and the Yahoo Anti-Spy

Don Varnau

Hi,
As Jon posted:
See this site for lots of troubleshooting on this issue:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Are you sure that dial-up settings are correct- both in Internet Options>
Connections and in your ISPs dial-up connectoid.

Have you recently installed any security programs that might be causing
this?

Deleting the cache, History and Cookies folders (from DOS) may help:
Restart in MS-DOS Mode
From C:\> (type and press Enter after each command)
cd\windows
smartdrv
deltree tempor~1
deltree history
deltree cookies

Restart via Ctrl-Alt-Delete
- - -
Download and run CWShredder and Ad-aware. See:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.
Check for updates before running Ad-aware.

More on spyware, hijackers, etc at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

In Ctrl Panel> add/remove> IE> add/remove, is there a "repair" option? A
repair of IE may help.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]