Windows XP IBM Viavoice and XP SP2

Reaction score
Hello,

I was running IBM Viavoice 9 Pro USB on XP. After upgrading to XP2, I find I cannot run the program. I get a message box that Viavoice has encountered an error and needs to close...when I look at details, navcenter.exe is the culprit. I went to the Nuance site and downloaded a fix for XP SP2 and installed it - to no avail. Then uninstalled Viavoice and all user files. I shut down ZA F/W and Trendmicro Security suite and reinstalled Viavoice, and the patch from Nuance. When the installation was done I went through the voice dication training. After that was through, the main application tried to load. I get the same error. I ran an sfc /scannow to check the dlls and they are OK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

schmersa

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Are you using XP Home or Pro.

I ask, as VV is "incompatable" with XP Pro :(

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using XP Home. I was aware, from the Nuance support site, that VV 9 Pro would not work on Pro. It was working before under XP Home. I did a google search and could not find much to help. Navcenter.exe looks like a Norton AV file - but I am not running NAV.

Thanks,

schmersa

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm at a loss here ... I cannot find any reference to Navcenter.exe being any part of Norton AV, so cannot rule out a possible problem ... in fact, I can only find your own references that you have posted on the internet. You seem to be alone in this problem, so it must be something specific to you system.

SP2 did add a lot of security "features" but also added extra support to USB ... have you checked with the Windows Update Site for any subsequent updates ... always use the Custom button, it will show any & all appropriate updates.

Can you tell me what the 'exact' error message says? word for word including any numbers.

It will also help be to know a little more of the spec of your PC ... :thumb:

Reaction score
schmersa said:
Hello,

I was running IBM Viavoice 9 Pro USB on XP. After upgrading to XP2, I find I cannot run the program. I get a message box that Viavoice has encountered an error and needs to close...when I look at details, navcenter.exe is the culprit. I went to the Nuance site and downloaded a fix for XP SP2 and installed it - to no avail. Then uninstalled Viavoice and all user files. I shut down ZA F/W and Trendmicro Security suite and reinstalled Viavoice, and the patch from Nuance. When the installation was done I went through the voice dication training. After that was through, the main application tried to load. I get the same error. I ran an sfc /scannow to check the dlls and they are OK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

schmersa

I had exactly the same problem:wall: It is now in the rubbish tip.
I doubt You will find any answers to the question I looked far and wide for a month and found nothing at all relevent to the problem.:(

Reaction score
Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my original message. I decided that I have already spent too much tome trying to find out what's wrong. I found no other information through this site, google, nuance, or microsoft. I decided to completely uninstall the Viavoice. Since I am also using Office 2003, I went ahead and installed the speech options which allow me to dictate and also will "read" text out loud. It is not as good as the Viavoice when it was working - but it satisfactory for my purposes.

Again, thanks to all of you who assisted me.

schmersa

Ask a Question