I have a problem installing a printer

Reaction score
I wanted to install the lexmark z705 printer but when i try installing it from the cd i get the message "CWINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close to terminate the application."

I am using windows xp service pack 2.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It means its trying to load 16 bit software to install - XP won't allow it.

There is a work around, but as Ian says use the generic Windows drivers, or try installing those he links to.

For info here is the workaround:

Double click on My Computer
Double click on the C: drive icon
go to the folder C:\windows\repair. (Double click the WINDOWS folder then. Double click on the REPAIR folder)
in the REPAIR folder ...
Find the file named autoexec.nt
Copy it (right mouse click- select "copy")
Go to the Windows\system32. folder
Open that folder.
Paste the file you just copied into it.

Reaction score
It said that the spooler service is stopped and i have to start it to continue the installation how do i start it?

The auto detect wont work so i downloaded the file that ian showed me.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Uninstall the printer and drivers and remove the software.

Shut down your PC, plug in the printer, switch it on and fire up your PC.

See if Windows detects new hardware and installs the required drivers - if not it will tell you and give you an option to install from a location.

Put your software CD in the drive and point to that and let windows install the drivers from there - or you can point to the driver download you got via Ians link.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Uninstall the printer and drivers and remove the software.

Shut down your PC, plug in the printer, switch it on and fire up your PC.

See if Windows detects new hardware and installs the required drivers - if not it will tell you and give you an option to install from a location.

Put your software CD in the drive and point to that and let windows install the drivers from there - or you can point to the driver download you got via Ians link.
After the found new hardware wizard copies all the installation files to the lexmark folder i get the message "An error occurred during the installation of the software :The RPC server is unavailable."

and the driver says that the spool service needs to be started before it can start installation.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Go to the properties of the Print Spooler

On the Dependencies tab, see if the LexBCE Server is showing up there. If it is, manually remove the dependancy.

Then in the same Services, check if the RPC locator service is running - if not start it.

Then try to install again.

Reaction score
It says "the specific print monitor is unknown"

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent news 10344
nod.gif

There's an issue with the LexBCE service that makes it hook itself on the Spooler service, forcing the spooler to be dependant on that Lexmark service. If the Lexmark can't start, the spooler won't - and if the spooler won't, then you can't install the Lexmark - a vicious circle :rolleyes:

Ask a Question