From: jaster <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: how do I load win98 on HD??
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:12:45 GMT

David Maynard

jaster said:
I guess you never heard of "Found New Hardware" or "Add New Hardware".

I'm sure he has but it ain't that simple and PnP won't even work at ALL if
the system has the wrong motherboard configuration for the ISA and PCI
controllers because it won't even know there ARE any ISA or PCI slots.

Now, hopefully it would find the 'new' ISA and PCI controllers but it
doesn't always because the rest of the motherboard configuration is screwed
up too.

And then there's the aspect that if it won't install on the target system
what in god's name makes you think it would run on it, and a screwed up
alien configuration at that?

jaster

jaster wrote:

I'm sure he has but it ain't that simple and PnP won't even work at ALL if
the system has the wrong motherboard configuration for the ISA and PCI
controllers because it won't even know there ARE any ISA or PCI slots.

Now, hopefully it would find the 'new' ISA and PCI controllers but it
doesn't always because the rest of the motherboard configuration is
screwed up too.

And then there's the aspect that if it won't install on the target system
what in god's name makes you think it would run on it, and a screwed up
alien configuration at that?

Yeap I read a lot of complaints about my solution. Yet the OP wants to
install W98 on his bro's HD using the OP's PC. And the OP did just that
after he got another version of the W98 CD.

So which drivers and bios settings is on his bro's HD ?

I've used my solution a number of times when I was moving to ever larger
HDs. Take the HD out of one PC and put in another without major
castrophes. Yes I may have needed to redo a driver but nothing major.

JAD

jaster said:
Yeap I read a lot of complaints about my solution. Yet the OP wants to
install W98 on his bro's HD using the OP's PC. And the OP did just that
after he got another version of the W98 CD.

So which drivers and bios settings is on his bro's HD ?

He didn't load it on his machine,,,a new 98 disk used on his brothers
machine

David Maynard

jaster said:
Yeap I read a lot of complaints about my solution. Yet the OP wants to
install W98 on his bro's HD using the OP's PC. And the OP did just that
after he got another version of the W98 CD.

It's my understanding he got a new Win98 CD and installed it on the target
machine in the perfectly normal way. I certainly hope so.
So which drivers and bios settings is on his bro's HD ?

My guess would be the ones it detected during the install.
I've used my solution a number of times when I was moving to ever larger
HDs. Take the HD out of one PC and put in another without major
castrophes. Yes I may have needed to redo a driver but nothing major.

Lucky you.

I too have gotten it to automagically flagellate itself into a working
configuration but other times the new system was enough different that PnP
went blind, deaf, and dumb. Although, even in that case, with enough
creative surgery I was able to resuscitate the patient.

But it is by no means universally 'easy', is not guaranteed to work and,
so, makes for poor advice. Not to mention there's almost no reason to try
it except, perhaps, under unusual circumstances.

Shep©

Lucky you.

I too have gotten it to automagically flagellate itself into a working
configuration but other times the new system was enough different that PnP
went blind, deaf, and dumb. Although, even in that case, with enough
creative surgery I was able to resuscitate the patient.

But it is by no means universally 'easy', is not guaranteed to work and,
so, makes for poor advice. Not to mention there's almost no reason to try
it except, perhaps, under unusual circumstances.

I've been in the unfortunate position of having to do this several
times over the years for people.I worked out my own couple of ways of
making it less painful in win95/98/ME.

Install on my system.
Swap drive to user's system checking BIOS settings are ok.
when system boots boot to Safemode/Device Mangler and remove ALL
entries in there and re-boot.
Some device drivers will be missing so that's where the fun begins if
the user doesn't have the mother board drivers disk or sound and video
card drivers.I install a diagnostic program like,"Everest Home
Edition",
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
and get all the info I can and go and get the drivers on the new
system if I can get an Internet connection and if not use my working
system to go and get them and burn them for the user.

Or just copy the Win98/ME folder over to the hard drive and re-run
setup.exe as a,"repair" install but remove IE before I do this as in,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html
and do as above but again the Device Mangler will be clogged as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
so will need a clean up as will the registry as there's no such thing
as a,"Clean" windows install or re-install.

You can,if you know what you are doing,use the old Enum trick by
deleting the value from the registry to reset the hardware/DM.

A common mistake people make on any install of windows is to not
install the mother board drivers and then wonder why the system does
not work correctly.

jaster

[...]

Exactly.

jaster

He didn't load it on his machine,,,a new 98 disk used on his brothers
machine

Ok. I read the OP message wrong if he was not using his PC to install W98
on his bro's PC.

jaster

It's my understanding he got a new Win98 CD and installed it on the target
machine in the perfectly normal way. I certainly hope so.

Well unfortunately for my I misunderstood the OP problem as I thought he
was trying to use his PC to load his bro's HD.
My guess would be the ones it detected during the install.

Lucky you.

I too have gotten it to automagically flagellate itself into a working
configuration but other times the new system was enough different that PnP
went blind, deaf, and dumb. Although, even in that case, with enough
creative surgery I was able to resuscitate the patient.

But it is by no means universally 'easy', is not guaranteed to work and,
so, makes for poor advice. Not to mention there's almost no reason to try
it except, perhaps, under unusual circumstances.

I didn't say it was easy but even on the target PC you had to load drivers
for every piece of hardware W98 didn't recognize or installed incorrectly.
For JAD, maybe I was lucky or just knew what I was doing?

John Doe

jaster said:
Well unfortunately for my I misunderstood the OP problem as I
thought he was trying to use his PC to load his bro's HD.

I wrote:
He doesn't want to install Windows 98 on his system (fortunately).
Some of the other posts/replies explain that.
I didn't say it was easy but even on the target PC you had to load
drivers for every piece of hardware W98 didn't recognize or
installed incorrectly.

That's a lot different than trying to cope with a bunch of already
installed drivers you aren't aware of.
For JAD, maybe I was lucky or just knew what I was doing?

Or maybe you forgot.

Once again, installing Windows 98 on a different computer than the
target computer is just a bad idea.

David Maynard

jaster said:
Well unfortunately for my I misunderstood the OP problem as I thought he
was trying to use his PC to load his bro's HD.

I didn't say it was easy

With all due respect, you did not only said it was 'easy' but "the easiest
way."
but even on the target PC you had to load drivers
for every piece of hardware W98 didn't recognize or installed incorrectly.

First, you don't have the problem of every blessed thing being wrong and
having to reverse it and secondly, setup installs things in the proper
order instead of attempting to run 'normally' with a screwed up configuration.
For JAD, maybe I was lucky or just knew what I was doing?

Maybe a bit of both but the point is there's no advantage to it, it
potentially creates more problems than the OP already had, it won't 'fix' a
system that can't do the install in the first place, and it's not 'easy'.
And even when it appears to have resolved itself there's still the nagging
matter that perhaps it still missed something, especially for the less
experienced who don't know that not everything is detected by Plug'n'Play.

The truly 'easy' way is to shove the CD in the drive and let setup run.
That's why it's there.

If one doesn't have a working CD reader then the next best is to copy the
win98 folder to the hard drive and run setup from there but you can see
from the questions posted that even it is a few steps removed from 'easy'.

David Maynard

Shep© said:
[...]

All good examples of why it isn't 'easy' and is just begging for problems
when one could simply do a normal install.

ron

Wow. Ok, I am the OP. It seems as tho some are confused. I could not get win98 to load the 'normal' way. It would hang at about
26% loaded, with a window popping up saying something about a .cab error. I finally figured since I was using a burned win98 disc
that something could be wrong with it. So someone mentions putting the win98 directory on the hd itself. The only way I know to do
that is to put the target hd on MY pc as slave, format it(just to be safe), pop burned copy of win98 in MY PC, EXPLORE cd and drag
win98 directory into target hd, take out target hd and reinstall in target PC, run setup. And this is what I did, but the same
thing happened, it hung up at 26%. So then I used my own LEGIT copy of win98 and tried to load it(the normal way) and it loaded
fine. Problem? bad burned copy of win98 from an unknown hack. Hope this clears things up.....

ron

David Maynard

ron said:
[...]

Yes. In short, you went through a bit of gyrations to discover your CD was
bad (always suspect a copy, btw) and then installed normally with a good one.

The current discussion is about the proposed, supposed, 'easy' way and I'm
saying it wouldn't have made your adventure any easier. To the contrary, it
would have been much more complex and introduced more problems than you
already had.

Not to mention the bad CD wouldn't have installed on the other, or any,
computer either.

And then, once you had a good CD I can't imagine why anyone would first
install on an alien machine and then move the alien configuration to the
target when the target computer is readily available to just go ahead and
do a normal install on.

In short, you did just fine.

jaster

[...]

Does for me and thank you.

jaster

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:14:51 -0600, David Maynard thoughtfully wrote:

[snip]
With all due respect, you did not only said it was 'easy' but "the easiest
way."

Yes my command of the english is not so good. I should have said the
easiest way to load a HD not destined for your PC although it would not be
easy or perfect.

[snip]
The truly 'easy' way is to shove the CD in the drive and let setup
run.

No argument there but as I said I thought he had to install W98 on
his PC to his bro's HD. Last time I did something like that I copied the
W98 folders to HD, copied the drivers I'd need for the other machine
and ran the setup, put in the drive and changed drivers as needed.
That's why it's there.

If one doesn't have a working CD reader then the next best is to copy
the win98 folder to the hard drive and run setup from there but you can
see from the questions posted that even it is a few steps removed from
'easy'.

Funny no working CD reader then how to copy the w98 folders? Just kidding.

All this W98 talk reminded me of just how much a pain in the a W98 was to
setup with the endless reboots for driver configuration.

JAD

The only way I know to do that is to put the target hd on MY pc
What the heck for? Boot from floppy (ESD) boot with cd rom support.....copy
rom to hd. I mean you could do it your way for a speed increase. But its not
the only way. Unless your adding in the 'no working CD rom ' issue in the
mix.

Shep©

All good examples of why it isn't 'easy' and is just begging for problems=
=20
when one could simply do a normal install.

And as stated we are not always in an ideal position to do this :/