how do I load win98 on HD??

ron

I've been trying to get win98 loaded on my bro's pc. This is where I'm at so far...After having trouble using a bootdisk and
getting errors, I just hooked his HDD up to my PC running winxp. I formatted his HDD in FAT32. Not sure what to do now. How do I
go about getting win98 loaded on his HDD using my PC? I'm pretty sure it's possible just not sure how to do it. I've made a
folder(on my pc) and copied all win98 files to it. Ready and waiting..

ron

JAD

ron said:
I've been trying to get win98 loaded on my bro's pc. This is where I'm at
so far...After having trouble using a bootdisk and
getting errors, I just hooked his HDD up to my PC running winxp. I
formatted his HDD in FAT32. Not sure what to do now. How do I
go about getting win98 loaded on his HDD using my PC? I'm pretty sure
it's possible just not sure how to do it. I've made a
folder(on my pc) and copied all win98 files to it. Ready and waiting..

ron
If the system your trying to resurrect is having trouble even using the
floppy and installing an OS, why do you think it will be Ok when sticking a
hard drive filled with 98 OS and drivers from your system into it? Fix the
problem with the system your intending to..... fix?

ron

why would there be drivers from my system on it? I just want to load win98 on it directly from the cd...

ron

dawg

You can't do that without Windows loading stuff from your PC during install.
Best you can do is copy the Win98 CD to the HD and install from there on his
PC.
Maybe you can use your floppy in his PC just for this.

ron said:
why would there be drivers from my system on it? I just want to load
win98 on it directly from the cd...

John Doe

Is there a difference between "load" and "install" in your book?

You definitely don't install Windows on one computer to use on
another computer. If you do, it does in fact copy/load drivers
specific to your machine and not his. There is no way Windows 98
will boot on his machine after you install it on yours.

In other words. The Windows 98 CD installation program makes
decisions and copies files based on the computer you install it to,
it does not just copy everything from the CD to the hard drive.

You need to install it on the computer you will use it on.

If you are talking about copying the Windows 98 files to the hard
drive because the CD drive is not working, maybe you can do that.
(By the way. As I recall, early versions of Windows 98 will not work
with FAT32.)

If that is what you are trying to do, just make a folder on the
drive and copy the CD into that folder. Then put the hard drive back
and boot to his floppy disk, navigate to that folder on the hard
drive, and then start Setup.

If that is what you are trying to do, feel free to ask further, I
might not remember correctly (it's been a longtime since messing
with a floppy drive).

If you insist on trying to install Windows 98 on your PC and then
move the hard drive to your brother's PC, I don't think you are
going to get any help here (or anywhere else).

Good luck.

ron

If you are talking about copying the Windows 98 files to the hard
drive because the CD drive is not working, maybe you can do that.
(By the way. As I recall, early versions of Windows 98 will not work
with FAT32.)

If that is what you are trying to do, just make a folder on the
drive and copy the CD into that folder. Then put the hard drive back
and boot to his floppy disk, navigate to that folder on the hard
drive, and then start Setup.

If that is what you are trying to do, feel free to ask further, I
might not remember correctly (it's been a longtime since messing
with a floppy drive).
.....................this is what I'm trying to do. I copied the win98 folder to his freshly formatted drive and stuck it back in
his pc. I get the c prompt(looks like this C:\>)but when I type in C:\win98(where win98 is the name of folder I put on his HD)I get
bad command or file name....don't know if it matters or not but that arrow(>)will not dissappear from the c prompt. His drive is
formatted in FAT32...

ron

John Doe

ron said:
....................this is what I'm trying to do. I copied the
win98 folder to his freshly formatted drive and stuck it back in
his pc. I get the c prompt(looks like this C:\>)but when I type
in C:\win98(where win98 is the name of folder I put on his HD)I
get bad command or file name....

Try this from the C:\> prompt:
CD win98

The CD means "change directory"
then you include a space
then you type the directory name

Whenever you want to get back to the root hard drive folder C:\>,
just type CD\ and press enter.
don't know if it matters or not but that arrow(>)will not
dissappear from the c prompt.

Whether the arrow shows or not is probably just based on a
programmable setting. Pretend it's not there.

Jan Alter

What happens when you type dir [ENTER] ?

Do you see the Win98 directory?

Is there a particular reason that you aren't booting off a floppy drive and
then installing Win98 from there after formatting the hdd on his machine?
This is kind of cryptic the way you are going about the installation. The
c:\> is fine as part of the prompt.

ron

that worked.......but it didn't work....

It's doing the same thing as when I tried loading win98 the 'normal' way. What is happening is it gets to about 26% installed and a
window pops up saying it cannot download a .CAB file. It did this while using a bootdisk/cd and it just now did it while trying to
load windows from the hard drive....hmmmm

ron

John Doe

Jan Alter said:
This is kind of cryptic the way you are going about the
installation.

It's faster since you are working off of the hard drive instead of
the CD. And you don't need the CD for installing new drivers,
restoring system files, and stuff. Besides the space concern on a
small disk, the only problem is putting it on the same partition as
Windows (drive C) because then you cannot just format drive C and
start the installation again.

John Doe

What is the exact error message?

I want you to copy it verbatim (that means letter [or symbol] for
letter and space for space).

Pdigmking

I've been trying to get win98 loaded on my bro's pc. This is where
I'm at so far...After having trouble using a bootdisk and getting
errors, I just hooked his HDD up to my PC running winxp. I formatted
his HDD in FAT32. Not sure what to do now. How do I go about getting
win98 loaded on his HDD using my PC? I'm pretty sure it's possible
just not sure how to do it. I've made a folder(on my pc) and copied
all win98 files to it. Ready and waiting..

ron

Let's step back a bit here. You say you can't get the computer to
"boot" using a "bootdisk" Are you using the win 98 floppy or are you
trying to use something else? Does the machine have a functioning CD
drive? If so, go into your setup when you start the computer and tell it
to boot from the CD. This way the computer will by-pass the floppy and
go straigt to the cd. If it boots, it will ask you to make some
formatting choices. Just to be safe I'd let it reformat the drive and
continue loading from there.

If you want to load from the hardrive, you can copy the CD using the copy
command at the c promt. I think you would have to create another
partition to copy the win98 disk to, and then load it from there, but I
could be wrong, don't take my word this.

Once copied, us the CD command to get to the partition that win98 is on
and go from there.

Oh, another thing, are you using a win98 complete program disk, or do you
have an upgrade disk? If you're trying to load an upgrade disk on a
blank formatted drive, it won't work. You'll have to load win95 first.

Paul

jaster

I've been trying to get win98 loaded on my bro's pc. This is where I'm at
so far...After having trouble using a bootdisk and getting errors, I just
hooked his HDD up to my PC running winxp. I formatted his HDD in FAT32.
Not sure what to do now. How do I go about getting win98 loaded on his
HDD using my PC? I'm pretty sure it's possible just not sure how to do
it. I've made a folder(on my pc) and copied all win98 files to it. Ready
and waiting..

ron

The easiest way to install W98 is to mount Bro's HD as master and the
only HD on your system. Boot the floppy or boot CD and install W98.
Then you can move bro's HD as a secondary HD and your HD as primary to
transfer files. IIRC XP will not allow W98 to be installed on your
system as it trashes the boot partition.

John Doe

jaster said:
The easiest way to install W98 is to mount Bro's HD as master and
the only HD on your system. Boot the floppy or boot CD and
install W98.

He's not (or wasn't) trying to install Windows 98 on his system, he
wants it installed on his brother's system.
Then you can move bro's HD as a secondary HD and your
HD as primary to transfer files.

Transfer files from where and to where?
IIRC XP will not allow W98 to
be installed on your system as it trashes the boot partition.

He doesn't want to install Windows 98 on his system (fortunately).
Some of the other posts/replies explain that.

From: jaster <jaster home.net>
Subject: Re: how do I load win98 on HD??
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:10:20 GMT

ron

If you didn't see the post I'm 99% sure it was a bad burned copy of win98 that was used in the building of my brothers pc. I tried
bought an OS I think its about time anyway. Just wanted to say thanks much for all the help....

ron

jaster

He's not (or wasn't) trying to install Windows 98 on his system, he wants
it installed on his brother's system.

Transfer files from where and to where?

He doesn't want to install Windows 98 on his system (fortunately). Some of
the other posts/replies explain that.

For simple minds. The easiest way to install W98 on his bro's HD is
to make his bro's HD the only HD in the OP's system, install W98 and
whatever software he wants. Then either remove the W98 HD and return it
to his bro or move the drive as a secondary drive in his XP system to copy
any files he may want on his bro's drive then return the W98 HD to his bro.

JAD

jaster said:
For simple minds. The easiest way to install W98 on his bro's HD is
to make his bro's HD the only HD in the OP's system, install W98 and
whatever software he wants. Then either remove the W98 HD and return it
to his bro or move the drive as a secondary drive in his XP system to copy
any files he may want on his bro's drive then return the W98 HD to his
bro.

Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Its idiotic to load drivers and software
on a HD that isn't in the system that it is intended. Completely trashes the
device manager and If the machine for which it is intended is so screwed up
that you can't load an OS, just how good do you think its going to run with
a hard drive loaded with a completely different set of chipset and hardware
drivers?

jaster

Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Its idiotic to load drivers and software
on a HD that isn't in the system that it is intended. Completely trashes
the device manager and If the machine for which it is intended is so
screwed up that you can't load an OS, just how good do you think its going
to run with a hard drive loaded with a completely different set of chipset
and hardware drivers?

I guess you never heard of "Found New Hardware" or "Add New Hardware".

JAD

jaster said:
I guess you never heard of "Found New Hardware" or "Add New Hardware".
Guess you have never done this before, because it is far from that simple.
Unless of course the boards and hardware are nearly identical, whats the
odds of that?