Help and support center on my computer

G

When I try to open the Help and Support center on my computer, A box open that says "Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, And then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search." What does this mean? And how do I get help and support back?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Repairs Windows XP's Help and Support
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

[Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]

If the above repair does not work:

Go to Start > Run and type in: helpctr -regserver
and hit enter.

To reinstall Help and Support:

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf.
Right-click and choose install. Have your XP CD available.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start > Run and type in:
control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck
"Hide extensions for known file types".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| When I try to open the Help and Support center on my computer, A box open that says "Windows cannot find
'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, And then try again. To search for a file, click the
start button, and then click search." What does this mean? And how do I get help and support back?

G

I too have this same problem. I have tried all the recommended fixes (dougknox, registering dlls, reinstalling from the XP CD, etc., etc.), and that eliminated the "missing helpctr.exe" messages, but help center still won't launch (HelpSvc.exe does pop up in Task Manager, but that's it). I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions anyone may have

Thanks
LBC

Ask a Question