GFX Card Temp

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to ask what the best way is to find out the temperature of my graphics card.

I heard about ATI Tool and used it but it caused nothing but problems. It kept crashing my comp and after uninstalling and reinstalling it took forever to load up (never actually loaded) so uninstalled it. Is there a better way?

I have a new Radeon XFX 1GB 4870 and would like to monitor its temp. I heard that the Catalyst Control Center will have the info but i am experiencing a problem... the ATI Technologies > Catalyst Control Center folder only contains a configuration settings file called 'install' I have reinstalled many times but the actual CCC never seems to appear on my comp.

Also my new graphics card seems to be overheating as Ive had crash to blue screen 3 times now. Any suggestions on cooling it down?

Suggestions about either of these problems?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same thing just happened with Speedfan, I installed it, opened it, it loaded then my computer froze indefinitetly. Had to turn off by switch.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
GPUZ or RivaTuner will tell you temps. Do you have the latest drivers for the card and your mobo etc?

happywave.gif

Reaction score
By there way here are my specs:

Motherboard: M2R32-MVP
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Memory: 4GB Corsair
PSU: 650 Watt Corsair
GFX: XFX Radeon 4870 1GB

My PSU is taking up a lot of space, the corsair cables are so think and most of them I don't use, its clogging up the case which doesnt help.

I have the processor fan, back case fan and gfx fan all working fine. I dont know how to add extra fans, how do they fit into the case? where do they go? I need serious cooling advice, and if anyone can solve the catalyst control center and temp monotoring program problems that would be good.

thanks

Reaction score
Ok so I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 heatsink as suggested in another thread, however I need some more help.

First of all I dont think the position is right. I couldn't place it so the heat was venting out towrds the back fan, it only allowed me to fit it in this direction:

Image013.jpg

So the heat is venting up towards the PSU... but on the plus side is taking heat directly from the graphics card.

Secondly, Since installing this new heatsink over the old amd stock one I have noticed a great decrease in noise however the temples have not changed... infact i think the average temp has possibly dropped by 2c... Anyone know why this might be?

Thirdly, upon starting up the computer it said CPU Fan Error! I could ignore it by pressing F1 and the comp runs fine but I guess something is wrong...

Can anyone help? My Idly tempes are ranging from 48c to 50c - I really want to drop the heat down in my computer especially since I have a new xfx radeon 4870 1gb which at the moment overheats after an hour and gives me blue screen of death.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CPU fan error probably means you don't have the three pin power connector for the fan plugged into the correct motherboard header.

Have a look and make sure the motherboard header you're using is marked 'CPU fan'.

You can also disable that warning in the bios but it's worth keeping as a warning should the fan actually fail.

Reaction score
With regards to the CPU temp did you reapply the paste again to the CPU when you fitted the new fan? As Flops has said make sure that the CPU fan is connected to the correct header on the board and its working ok this will help drop the CPU temp as well.

Reaction score
The heatsink fan is correctly connected to a 4 pin connecter, the same one that the old heatsink was attached to. I have made sure it is correctly connected and it is. The fan is working but i still get the error.

I did reapply thermal paste, yes.

Reaction score
Ok if the fans working ok then you could disable the cpu fan warning in the BIOS. Out of interest what paste did you use? You could try using Core Temp to monitor the temps as well and see if thats any different.

Reaction score
I used Arctic Silver 5. Thanks I will see what i can do in BIOS. Do you have any other advice about the heatsink placement not facing the right way?

Also any suggestions on extra cooling especially for a new graphics card that overheats with my current setup?

Cheers

Reaction score
Since install my new graphics card, uninstalling it and putting my old one back in (because the new one overheated) and installing the new arctic cooling freezer heatsink, my computer has been crashing to blue screen intermittently. This is the message i get:

Image011.jpg

Can anyone help with any of my problems? :p

The windows reported thing mentioned something about ram and running a ram diagnostic.

Reaction score
Have you tried reinstalling all the drivers for your pc? That BSOD is normally to do with a bad driver.

You could download Memtest for windows here, and run that let it get to 500-1000 coverage so that all ram is tested and see if it reports any errors. What are you doing when this error happens?

Reaction score
Im pretty sure all drivers are up to date....

Thanks for the advice i installed and ran memtest and as soon as i ran it i started getting errors all over the place.

errors like this:
memerror.jpg

And many more, replacing the '40cbf6e' with different letters and numbers... i dont get whats wrong though.

Reaction score
I cannot be certain but it may have something to do with ATItool. It all started around the time when i installed ATITool and clicked Fin Max core or Find Max Mem

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
I cannot be certain but it may have something to do with ATItool. It all started around the time when i installed ATITool and clicked Fin Max core or Find Max Mem

Ok that does not look good. Have you removed ATItool and tried testing the ram again? Test each stick one at a time so you can find out which one is faulty.

Reaction score
I removed ATITool yesterday. I dont think either of the sticks are faulty, they are 2 new 2gb Corsair sticks and have been working fine for a few months now. Only now is it causing problems.

I read that it might just be a BIOS problem... maybe ATITool overclocked the memory stats or something and i just need to reset bios to default?

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
I removed ATITool yesterday. I dont think either of the sticks are faulty, they are 2 new 2gb Corsair sticks and have been working fine for a few months now. Only now is it causing problems.

I read that it might just be a BIOS problem... maybe ATITool overclocked the memory stats or something and i just need to reset bios to default?

You can reset the BIOS to defaults and see what happens. It could be that the timings and voltages have got changed some how and are now causing these errors to come up flag up during memtest, if that does not fix it then I would say its either a bad memory stick or something to do with the motherboard.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Try running Memtest one stick at a time, my bet its ons gone bad. Hope im wrong tho. :)

If they are ok after a few hours then look at reinstalling the drivers. got the latest cats?

ATI tool does nothing to your RAM BTW. ;)

Ask a Question