frontpage reports broken links that were sucessfully repaired

G

Friends,
When publishing my F.P. webite, on my local Cox high speed network, with microsoft server extensions active, I discovered 2 links were broken. I ran a verification with site summary, and fixed both links. One was a external link to
another web page, and one was a internal link to my feedback folder. I used the
Frontpage personal website templet to design my site. It provided a feedback folderfor visitors to leave their comments. I have ran recalculate links, and link
verification several times and it still says that they are broken links. But when I clink
on the links they go to where they are supposed to go. Could the frontpage server
extensions, on my service provider be becausing a false report? But why would the
external link to the other website, still be incorrectly reported as broken? Any feedback I could could would be appreciated. Thank you.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If the external link works, disregard the report error, as FP there are just some links that FP
can't verify.

Now as far as your internal broken link, what is the actual link being reported being broken?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

leoliver said:
Friends,
When publishing my F.P. webite, on my local Cox high speed network, with microsoft server
extensions active, I discovered 2 links were broken. I ran a verification with site summary, and
fixed both links. One was a external link to
Frontpage personal website templet to design my site. It provided a feedback folderfor visitors
to leave their comments. I have ran recalculate links, and link
verification several times and it still says that they are broken links. But when I clink
on the links they go to where they are supposed to go. Could the frontpage server
extensions, on my service provider be becausing a false report? But why would the
external link to the other website, still be incorrectly reported as broken? Any feedback I could
could would be appreciated. Thank you.

S

Steve Easton

When FrontPage verifies external links it "pings" the server containing the web site and expects a
response.
Some hosts / web sites refuse to acknowledge a "ping" because they are also used to create Denial of
Service Attacks.
Those sites that do not acknowledge ping commands will show as broken links even though the site is
up and running.

To see how this works, open a command window and type: ping www.yahoo.com and press enter and note
the results.
Then type: ping www.grc.com and see what happens. GRC denies ping commands for the very reason I
stated above, but clicking www.grc.com will open the site because the server is responding to an
http request

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

leoliver said:
Friends,
When publishing my F.P. webite, on my local Cox high speed network, with microsoft server
extensions active, I discovered 2 links were broken. I ran a verification with site summary, and
Frontpage personal website templet to design my site. It provided a feedback folderfor visitors
external link to the other website, still be incorrectly reported as broken? Any feedback I could

G

using the personal webpage templet, I have a feedback.htm page. It is reporting Status- broken, hyperlink- internal, In page- feedback.htm,Page title-feedback,
destination-internal, type -form action. When I clicked on "edit hyper links" it listed
feedback.htm as the current hyperlink and suggested I change it to feedback.htm
on all pages. That is exactly what it all ready is. So the repalce option on the window was grayed out. I tested on all of the links by clicking on them, and they all went where they were supposed to.
--
your friend,
Larry

Thomas A. Rowe said:
If the external link works, disregard the report error, as FP there are just some links that FP
can't verify.

Now as far as your internal broken link, what is the actual link being reported being broken?

--
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

leoliver said:
Friends,

G

Do I need to republish my site after making small changes? I thought with frontpage server extensions, they could be done on the "fly'.

S

Steve Easton

If you are editing on the server yes they are on the fly.
If editing your local web you need to publish.
imho it's always better to edit locally and then publish so that you always have a backup copy.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

leoliver said:
Do I need to republish my site after making small changes? I thought with frontpage server
extensions, they could be done on the "fly'.extensions active, I discovered 2 links were broken. I ran a verification with site summary, and

T

Tom Pepper Willett

If you make changes on your local web, they are not reflected on your remote
(hosted) web until you publish.
--
=====================================================
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/

=====================================================
leoliver said:
Do I need to republish my site after making small changes? I thought with
frontpage server extensions, they could be done on the "fly'.with microsoft server extensions active, I discovered 2 links were broken. I
ran a verification with site summary, and fixed both links. One was a
external link tofeedback folderfor visitors to leave their comments. I have ran recalculate
links, and link

Ask a Question