Windows XP Forgot the administrative password

Reaction score
Hi!
Recently my friend lost his W2k server password and asked me to resolve the issue. I didn't had the solution. A day after he told me that some compuer technician put his hard drive as a slave in other PC. Booted the OS through other Hard drive and cleared the pasword.
Can any one suggests how did that technician rest the password? Is there any file which he removed ?

ASP

Reaction score
Maybe he remove the file going thought is harddrive.

Taken from a website

Try this :

One method of gaining access to the system is by trying hard to remember the forgotten password, or a password of another user which has the same level of administrative rights. However I don't think this approach will help you, otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here reading article, would you?)

Another method is by trying to restore a backed up System State (in Windows 2000/XP/2003) or a ERD (in NT 4.0) in which you do remember the password. The problem with doing so is that you'll probably lose all of the recently add users and groups, and all the changed passwords for all of your users since the last backup was made.

A third method might be to install a parallel operating system on a different partition on the same computer, then use a simple trick to gain access to the old system. Read more about it on my Forgot the Administrator's Password? - Alternate Logon Trick article.

Note: If you are looking for password cracking tools that can be used for miscellaneous objectives such as password-protected PDF documents, zipped archives, Office documents, BIOS protection and so on then this pages is NOT for you. See some links at the bottom of this page for hints on where to find such tools, but I can tell you right away that Google might be a better choice for you.

The fourth option is by using 3rd party tools that will enable you to reset the lost password and logon with a blank password.

Ask a Question