Folders move

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem thats baffling me but im sure a simple soloution is there somewhere. I have a external expansion drive that i send larger folders to. I name them 01, 02, 03 ect. when the are sent there from my other drives. I have now started to install everything into the external drive as i am running low on memory on my C and D drive. Now comes the problem. Is it possible to leave the numbered folders in place. If the new folders go into the drive before i rename them they go in front of the numbered folders and i have to move them about again. I may want to wait for some more stuff being sent to the external drive before i make another folder and then number it for example 04. Hope that makes sense to somebody.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I take it as read when you say you are running low on "memory" on C/D drive you actually mean hard drive space. I hope so, if so, buy a bigger hard drive. ;)

External drives, IMHO, really need to be used for data storage only, and not "install" programs to it.

It would be less of a potential problem to use a second internal (fixed) hard drive.

KISS ... buy a new hard drive to replace C, then you'll have another "spare" data drive in the old one. ;)

one could simply, dump the junk no longer needed. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Folders Moving

Thanks for the reply. The folders i am saving in the external drive are things like Music, Films and Photos not Installed programs I just wondered if there was a way to keep them in place rather than them moving along the line

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no, I'm not with you on the, folders moving, bit.

I use Windows 7, it uses libaries (not sure about Vista, XP? naw, to old), it doesn't matter in what folder or hard drive my music or photos are located on, I just view what I want all in one place. :D

If you wanna alphanumericalize © folders, I think you may be peeing into the wind on an external drive ... hope someone can prove me wrong on that. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Folders Moving

For example i have loads of files/folders in my external drive and i rename them. The renamed folders contain stuff that i download or what i'm given ie Music, Films, etc. When i get more films music i want to put them into the same saved folders but they go in front of the ones allready saved and have been renamed 01, 02. 01 Music, 02 Films and more. The question i am asking is can the folders that have been renamed be locked in position somehow rather than when i d/load or install from another sauce These go in front of the renamed folders and i drag the renamed folder back into the numerical order. When i get a few then i copy and paste the new ones into the named folders. I think i am confusing you with my question.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Post some screen shots of what you are trying to explain
user.gif

Ask a Question