Robocopy to move folders within a drive - avoid long copy??

Reaction score
I'm trying to use a scheduled task to copy (edit: 'move' not 'copy') the contents of a folder and their subfolders into another folder on the same drive.

I'm a novice, so I found advice to try the 'robocopy' command. The code I tried was:

Code:
ROBOCOPY "E:\New Discs" "E:\New Discs2"  /E:/move

This works. However, it actually makes a copy of the file in the new location and then deletes it from the original location, rather than just moving the file. I am trying to move around Blu-Ray isos, so this is a lot of hard drive activity.

How can I execute this without copies being made? I want the folders and their files to be moved as if I dragged them into a new folder on the same drive (no time-consuming copy step).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know what the command you want may be but your narrative seems to be conflicting so to clarify, what you want to do is copy and paste rather than cut and paste, which it appears to be doing at the moment - correct?

Reaction score
I don't know what the command you want may be but your narrative seems to be conflicting so to clarify, what you want to do is copy and paste rather than cut and paste, which it appears to be doing at the moment - correct?

Apologies for the confusion. I meant that I want to do is Cut and paste rather than Copy and paste. Within the same drive, I don't want it to duplicate the file in order to move it.

Ask a Question