Firewalls compatible with Win XP SP2 (besides Sygate)?

Piggie

Having now tried...

Kerio (crashes and reboots the system) and...
ZoneAlarm (blocks all access to the net notwithstanding their claim
that it is built for SP2)...

Sygate is the only firewall that --to date-- has functioned properly
with XP SP2 in place.

Has anyone successfully used any of the other firewall programs with
SP2?

TIA!

-Piggie

MLC

_Piggie_, mercoledì 01/dic/2004:
Having now tried...

Kerio (crashes and reboots the system) and...
ZoneAlarm (blocks all access to the net notwithstanding their claim
that it is built for SP2)...

Sygate is the only firewall that --to date-- has functioned properly
with XP SP2 in place.

Has anyone successfully used any of the other firewall programs with
SP2?

TIA!

I'm using Kerio 4.1.2 with XP SP2 and it works very well.

Bob Adkins

Having now tried...

Kerio (crashes and reboots the system) and...
ZoneAlarm (blocks all access to the net notwithstanding their claim
that it is built for SP2)...

Sygate is the only firewall that --to date-- has functioned properly
with XP SP2 in place.

Has anyone successfully used any of the other firewall programs with
SP2?

I have used Kerio 2.1.5 just fine with SP2. I have also used Softperfect
with no problems I currently use Sygate, for no particular reason.

-- Bob

Piggie

I have used Kerio 2.1.5 just fine with SP2. I have also used Softperfect
with no problems I currently use Sygate, for no particular reason.

-- Bob

Hmmm... I wish I had your luck/skill/expertise. I'd rather use Kerio
(from what I've read it is a superior piece of work and has a number
of user-created ready-to-load rules) but I can't get it to do anything
but crash my system. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that
I'm employing a wireless router as it only crashes when I turn on the
laptop's Broadcom 802.11g card.

Thanks to yuo and eveyone else for the suggestions. So far, so good
with Sygate. If it holds up under the "leak" tests, I'll probably hang
on to it. But it is sure nice to know of other firewalls in the event
it, too, fails.

-Piggie

Conor

Having now tried...

Kerio (crashes and reboots the system) and...
ZoneAlarm (blocks all access to the net notwithstanding their claim
that it is built for SP2)...

Sygate is the only firewall that --to date-- has functioned properly
with XP SP2 in place.

Has anyone successfully used any of the other firewall programs with
SP2?
ZoneAlarm. You must be doing something wrong. Works fine here.

--
Conor

Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
first.
It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
shot first.

Manuel

Piggie said:
ZoneAlarm (blocks all access to the net notwithstanding their claim
that it is built for SP2)

What a ludicrous claim! ZA works perfectly fine with XP+SP2.
You've obviously done something wrong if you can't access the
net with ZA running.

Bob Adkins

Hmmm... I wish I had your luck/skill/expertise. I'd rather use Kerio
(from what I've read it is a superior piece of work and has a number
of user-created ready-to-load rules) but I can't get it to do anything
but crash my system. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that
I'm employing a wireless router as it only crashes when I turn on the
laptop's Broadcom 802.11g card.

Thanks to yuo and eveyone else for the suggestions. So far, so good
with Sygate. If it holds up under the "leak" tests, I'll probably hang
on to it. But it is sure nice to know of other firewalls in the event
it, too, fails.

I *slightly prefer Kerio only because it's a little lighter than Sygate. But
Sygate has always worked great for me, and shows no holes.

I use a router myself, but not wireless.

I find the little Softperfect firewall most intriguing. It's very light and
stable on my machine, and is very simple. It does take a bit of finger work
to set up rules for all your software that tries to connect going both
inbound and outbound. When I get a little time I'm going to give it another
try.

-- Bob

xmp

Conor said:
ZoneAlarm. You must be doing something wrong. Works fine here.

some installs are just different. i've seen KAV 5 Personal work on one
windows 98 machine, but not on another.

the OP might try Outpost. i used it on Server 2003, while Kerio
bluescreened on that OS.

the paid firewalls often offer features not found in the free ones. so
pick a good free one.

michael

Piggie

What a ludicrous claim! ZA works perfectly fine with XP+SP2.
You've obviously done something wrong if you can't access the
net with ZA running.

Thank you.

I do not protest against your assertion. I am not the swiftest
computer operator in the universe...

But I will mention that the ZoneAlarm installation pre-dated the XP
Home SP2 update. All was fine until SP2 was installed. I thought
(because I was still having the little warning dialogues pop up) that
it had to be something other than ZoneAlarm. But when I finally broke
down and went to Microsoft's XP SP2 Support site, the techie there
asked whether I had a firewall installed. When I answered that I did
but that I had been running it for three years without problems and
that it even now appeared to be functioning just fine he asked me to
humor him by temporarily disabling it and then trying to access the
internet.

I can argue with anything except success so...when I was then able to
get out on the 'net, I conceded that a conflict between ZA (free) and
my installation of SP2 did exist.

Whether that is a ludicrous claim or not, I will leave you judge. :)

-Piggie

Phringus Fuller Malarkey

ZoneAlarm. You must be doing something wrong. Works fine here.

Thank you, Conor. Happy that you're getting on so well.

I carefully searched the ZoneAlarm site for information regarding this
conflict but met with no success. It would, indeed, appear that I am
in the minority here. However, the situation I have described did
occur here. My post was not intended as a wholesale attack on the good
folk of Zone Labs nor a slander on any of her adherents.

I was simply describing the situation as it exists on my computer and
asking whether anyone had any other firewall suggestions.

I rejoice with you in the success you're having there with ZoneAlarm.
'Tis a praiseworthy report!

-Piggie

Piggie

I *slightly prefer Kerio only because it's a little lighter than Sygate. But
Sygate has always worked great for me, and shows no holes.

I use a router myself, but not wireless.

I find the little Softperfect firewall most intriguing. It's very light and
stable on my machine, and is very simple. It does take a bit of finger work
to set up rules for all your software that tries to connect going both
inbound and outbound. When I get a little time I'm going to give it another
try.

-- Bob

Thank you for this additional information, Bob. I was not aware of
SoftPerfect and may give it a look during the slower pace of the
holidays.

Again, I deeply appreciate your help and that of the others who posted
on this topic.

-Piggie

Phringus Fuller Malarkey

Thank you, Conor. Happy that you're getting on so well.

I carefully searched the ZoneAlarm site for information regarding this
conflict but met with no success. It would, indeed, appear that I am
in the minority here. However, the situation I have described did
occur here. My post was not intended as a wholesale attack on the good
folk of Zone Labs nor a slander on any of her adherents.

I was simply describing the situation as it exists on my computer and
asking whether anyone had any other firewall suggestions.

I rejoice with you in the success you're having there with ZoneAlarm.
'Tis a praiseworthy report!

-Piggie

Well now I'm busted... :)

....P.

Piggie

some installs are just different. i've seen KAV 5 Personal work on one
windows 98 machine, but not on another.

the OP might try Outpost. i used it on Server 2003, while Kerio
bluescreened on that OS.

the paid firewalls often offer features not found in the free ones. so
pick a good free one.

michael

Thank you, Michael!

I'll go check Outpost out very soon.

Your kindness is appreciated!

-Piggie/...P.

Bob Adkins

Thank you for this additional information, Bob. I was not aware of
SoftPerfect and may give it a look during the slower pace of the
holidays.

Again, I deeply appreciate your help and that of the others who posted
on this topic.

We're here to please! :)

-- Bob

Frank Bohan

I'm using Zone Alarm v3.7,14 and recently added SP2 with no problems, even
though I have the firewall included with SP2 active. No other problems have
arisen with net access.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ When you are trying to get into shape, the best shape is a triangle.

Frank Bohan

Phringus Fuller Malarkey said:
Thank you, Conor. Happy that you're getting on so well.

I carefully searched the ZoneAlarm site for information regarding this
conflict but met with no success. It would, indeed, appear that I am
in the minority here. However, the situation I have described did
occur here. My post was not intended as a wholesale attack on the good
folk of Zone Labs nor a slander on any of her adherents.

I was simply describing the situation as it exists on my computer and
asking whether anyone had any other firewall suggestions.

I rejoice with you in the success you're having there with ZoneAlarm.
'Tis a praiseworthy report!

-Piggie

Did you turn off ZA (and other programs) when installing SP2, as advised?
Perhaps completely removing ZA and then re-installing it would solve the
problem.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ When you find something you like, they stop making it.

Piggie

Did you turn off ZA (and other programs) when installing SP2, as advised?
Perhaps completely removing ZA and then re-installing it would solve the
problem.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ When you find something you like, they stop making it.
Well, Frank...

Due to your proding I *did* remove Sygate and reinstall ZoneAlarm.
Same result. No internet access.

BUT... (wait, there's good news ahead!) because you and so many others
reported success in using ZA on XP SP2 boxes, I fiddled around and
found:

1. If I changed the internet setting from High to Medium, I *could*
access the 'net. Of course, this was not a satisfactory resolution to
my problem because it would mean I'd have to cruise the 'net with my
cyber butt-cheeks hanging out for all the world to see.

2. After trying numerous other things, I finally got a pop-up that
said ZA was blocking an IP address that I recognized as belonging to
my wireless LAN. After entering this address in the Firewall | Zones
settings area and marking my LAN as "Trusted", viola!, I am back in
the high-life again!

Now, I have no idea why I Didn't have this problem BEFORE upgrading to
SP2 but I am very happy to be able to use ZoneAlarm, once again.

The downside is that I also learned to love Sygate for the day and a
half I used it, so...who knows where I'll end up?

But, once again, thanks to one and all for the help!

-Piggie

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I have used Kerio 2.1.5 just fine with SP2. I have also used Softperfect
with no problems I currently use Sygate, for no particular reason.

-- Bob

I'm using the same Kerio version. Disabled it during XP SP2 update,
disabled XP firewall, reinabled Kerio. Still works like a champ.

Ron M.